TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Good morning, I'm looking for a Good free security software, that should be used with Windows defender to prevent inexperienced users to get infected (basically, locking down the computer). I'm looking for a secure product (it should protect against zero-day ransomware, other malware,adware and also office macros). The product should be light, no great impact on boot-time and computer performance. Considering this will be used by inexperienced people, once set, the product should work mostly automatically without puzzling the user . I chose Voodooshield, Secure A plus and COMODO firewall, which seem the most secure to me. If you would like to recommend an other product, please tell me. Waiting for your suggestions, Thanks in advance

Last edited:

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
For starters I would recommend Unchecky to prevent unintentional Toolbars, Bloatware and Sponsored software.
Unchecky - Keeps your checkboxes clear
It is completely free, auto-updates and runs silently in the background with minimal resources.
That's nice, but I'm looking for an all-in one product, also focused in zero-day ransomware prevention. Thank you

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
That's nice, but I'm looking for an all-in one product, also focused in zero-day ransomware prevention. Thank you
Unchecky is complimentary to any security software. It is extremely easy to use, just install and forget and it'll effectively protect any system.

I understand it's not an Anti-Ransomware, but it does help against unwanted software, which is JUST as important.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I would choose VoodooShield between the 3 proposed.

Comodo is too complicated for inexperienced users, and for SecureAplus , i didn't tried it long enough , so no clues about it.
Thanks for your suggestion.. COMODO should run automatically each untrusted file in the sandbox, right? If the user doesn't change settings, it should work automatically, right?

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Thank you guys. I was also planning to choose VoodooShield. The only concern I have about the product is about warnings during installation of legitimate applications. I asked one of my friends to test the product's whitelist installing legitimate applications on autopilot(I had only little time, so he did it for me). When installing various software, He got this alert when the program was using a command line (see attached file). I guess an inexperienced user would click "block" because it's recommended. Is there any way to disable this kind of alert? Disabling the product is risky, in my opinion, because If that was malware, it will execute. I noticed that, If the file was malware, execution is immediatly blocked when you double click on the file. If there is no way of not showing the command line alert, should I teach them "Automatically blocked= bad file, question while installing software=click allow"?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_14699625471945081.jpg
    FB_IMG_14699625471945081.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 787
  • Unknown file 1.jpg
    Unknown file 1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 635
Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thank you guys. I was also planning to choose VoodooShield. The only concern I have about the product is about warnings during installation of legitimate applications. I asked one of my friends to test the product's whitelist installing legitimate applications on autopilot(I had only little time, so he did it for me). When installing various software, He got this alert when the program was using a command line (see attached file). I guess an inexperienced user would click "block" because it's recommended. Is there any way to disable this kind of alert? Disabling the product is risky, in my opinion, because If that was malware, it will execute. I noticed that, If the file was malware, execution is immediatly blocked when you double click on the file. If there is no way of not showing the command line alert, should I teach them "Automatically blocked= bad file, question while installing software=click allow"?
when you install a program, you are supposed to put VS into disable/install mode.
otherwise, an inexperienced user would have it in autopilot.
after installation, a few minutes later the user will get a prompt to turn the protection back on.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I would choose VoodooShield between the 3 proposed.

Comodo is too complicated for inexperienced users, and for SecureAplus , i didn't tried it long enough , so no clues about it.

I agree with the Comodo comment, but I have to choose SAP over VS only because in my experience for older computers it can slow down responsiveness. SAP has always ran well on my computers without offline av. all 3 are very good products.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.