Battle Vote for favorite Office Suite / which one is you using

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapoo

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
vote for your favorite office suite, and if it not in the list, vote for last options, and mention below your favorite office suite name

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
RE: Your favorite Office Suite

Have been using Open Office for as long as I can remember. I can type with it so it does the job for me. Don't really need any fancy features.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
In my school we are trained on using MS office 2007 and I like its UI.

Question: Isn't OpenOffice discontinued but Libreoffice is having the same UI but maintained by another team?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Question: Isn't OpenOffice discontinued but Libreoffice is having the same UI but maintained by another team?

Both products are still in development, OpenOffice is open-source and it was bought by Oracle. After Oracle started to change some things many of the developers left and started LibreOffice from the open-source code.

Many users moved to LibreOffice and Oracle decided to get rid of it so they donated it to Apache Software Foundation and got a tax write off since they couldn't continue to keep up with LibreOffice. Apache continued to keep OpenOffice updated and some of the original developers came back to help. The new name now is "Apache OpenOffice".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org (read History)

So now some of the same developers are working on both projects but both still have some differences.

I was thinking why do these two different projects still exists? since all differences have been resolved between the developers.

Enjoy!! :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't use Office programs, but I installed LibreOffice yesterday, and I have 2 spare copies of Office 2007.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Many use KSO, but how do you get around from not being able to export to MSO (.docx / .xlsx) formatted files?
http://www.ksosoft.com/product/compare.html

The new 'Office 2013' is way too expensive for a single PC.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Earth said:
Many use KSO, but how do you get around from not being able to export to MSO (.docx / .xlsx) formatted files?
http://www.ksosoft.com/product/compare.html

The new 'Office 2013' is way too expensive for a single PC.

I don't need to export to docx, but something's not right here, on their site it says that Pro version can save to docx, but actually it can't o_O

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
I am currently (before 2 days) installed Appache office vs 4 which is seems to good at first look,i like its passward & convert to Ms office(2007) .doc & macros security option before it i used softmaker & some time softmaker disssappoint me when i try to open MS office file(i don't know which extention that was) but it says i have take ms office permission to open that particular file.But otherwise it work smoothly & it is light too compare too appache office or ms office.But i like ms office coz i grow with using it when i need word or exel.While i using office very rarely.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Most home users will have no use for office software and most businesses already include Microsoft Office, therefore it will be the most popular office suite and more familiar but I doubt it is any better then the others.

When I was in college, I used Microsoft Office regularly but that was many years ago and there was no other options available back then.

I basically can do the same work now with Kingsoft Office just as easily.

Kingsoft Office requires only about a quarter of the disk space compared to Microsoft Office, Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice and others and is very lite.

Enjoy!! :D

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
I am using MS Office 2010 Standard Edition currently.....got license from my friend who was MSP of my college....and if I have to choose free alternative then it will be Kingsoft Office...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.