Not open for further replies.

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Hi everyone,

So I am currently deciding between F-Secure's Freedome VPN & SurfEasy VPN. Both are from companies I believe to be trustworthy (now that Opera owns SurfEasy). Both companies say they are dedicated to privacy.

My issue with F-Secure's VPN is that I've had reliability problems with their anti-virus offerings. I.E. shortly after installing, the realtime protection doesn't work properly for about 15 minutes (no matter how many times the system was restarted). I assume this has something to do with F-Secure updating itself after being installed. But if their anti-virus has realtime protection issues, how can I trust that the VPN is actually encrypting my traffic like it says? Also, the counters for how many "bad websites" Freedome has blocked is linked to my specific system on their servers. I found this out because I had a backup image of my system in which the blocked website count was 43. I then managed to up the count to 62; when I completely wiped the hard drive & then restored the system to the old image & booted up, Freedome promptly updated the blocked website number to 62. Clearly then, the counter isn't stored locally but on a server somewhere, linked to my specific device with a unique identifier. Doesn't this kind of go against the whole philosophy of a VPN?

I haven't used SurfEasy much, but here are my issues with it: 1) it doesn't have a real interface. The only "interface" is the right click menue on the tray icon. 2) The only settings are "launch at start-up". The interface isn't too big of an issue, although I would like to have more settings available. 3) Their mobile app for iOS has a bit of an issue. Upon installing the app you have the option to sign in with a free account for 500 MB of free tunneling, or, you can choose to use the app without signing in & only get 250 MB. I chose to only use the 250 MB without signing in. The VPN started & the VPN icon was at the top of my screen. I was not required to sign in. However, the next time I opened the app, the VPN shut off & the app showed a login screen. This time however, there was NOT an option to use the app without singing in/up & no way to turn the VPN back up. I closed & re-opened the app & it still insisted I sign in & would not allow me to continue using the 250 MB service. This is a bit of a problem for me, simply because it doesn't allow me to use it without an account anymore, when it did at first & says it should let me. I haven't been able to see if this issue exists in the android version.

Feel free to chime in with your opinion(s).

Reactions: Ink

Cold

May 8, 2015
Now, my question is WHY do you want to use a VPN?

If your answer is privacy then sadly neither of those two options are actually relevant in any way, you'd be better off picking one of the more secure VPNs however I won't be suggesting any unless you tell me to. I'll simply stick to the options you currently have.

I've personally used Freedome awhile back, It's speed was decent and the latency was comparably great to other VPNs. It keeps logs, and it doesn't have as much servers as other alternatives. It frequently disconnects and reconnects at your first run at startup which MIGHT be alright for some but troublesome for others, your pick.

As for surfeasy, it was quick when I tried it, It didn't seem to slow down the internet by a considerable amount. It has a few number of servers as well. It's idiot-proof as in it doesn't require much to get it working right away. It also keeps logs of your activity.

Cold

May 8, 2015
Quite simply because I can... although the main reason is to protect against packet sniffing attacks.

As for keeping logs they both claim they don't, F-Secure even has an explanation of how they get around EU data retention laws:
http://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure/Does-F-Secure-follow-the-EU-data/ta-p/68996

Hmm, that was most definitely not the approach of the company when I used it (or maybe it was just false claims to disrepute it, not sure). If those are your two options, then go for Freedome as it has better speeds and slightly more servers (Surfeasy had around ~10 servers IIRC?) and is there an official statement from the Surfeasy team regarding keeping logs? I couldn't find any.

Also the answer to my question is very vague actually, I'd rather you answer that if you're looking for help that focuses on your needs.

alifaizan

Oct 23, 2013
Well, I didn't vote for either as when you are not paying for something then you are the product. I wouldn't trust a VPN that is free because all of my data goes through their servers and they could sell all of my data. I prefer premium versions like IPVAnish or ExpressVPN. You should give it a try or you could even go for TOR.

Reactions: Cold

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Well, I didn't vote for either as when you are not paying for something then you are the product. I wouldn't trust a VPN that is free because all of my data goes through their servers and they could sell all of my data. I prefer premium versions like IPVAnish or ExpressVPN. You should give it a try or you could even go for TOR.
Hi,
Both VPNs are paid for services:
F-Secure
upload_2015-6-11_18-31-10.png

SurfEasy
upload_2015-6-11_18-32-45.png

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
I am not trying to be a mood killer but both of these vpn providers log
Hi,
How do you know this? They both have official statements to the contrary. While I am well aware that not every statement made by a company can be trusted 100%, can you please show proof or evidence of some sort?

EDIT: Although I must say, that the way Freedome links the number of blocked trackers & bad websites to my specific device, is a bit concerning

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Also the answer to my question is very vague actually, I'd rather you answer that if you're looking for help that focuses on your needs.

Well, mainly for using a potentially unsecured WiFi connection. I don't want other people on the network to be able to sniff my traffic or perform a MITM.

DoxThis

Level 3
Verified
Apr 25, 2015
Hi,
How do you know this? They both have official statements to the contrary. While I am well aware that not every statement made by a company can be trusted 100%, can you please show proof or evidence of some sort?

EDIT: Although I must say, that the way Freedome links the number of blocked trackers & bad websites to my specific device, is a bit concerning
Yeah well so did HMA and where did that get the Lulzboat? Right into davy jones' locker lol
I cannot provide any evidence to 100% prove this but I have some friends from HF that are trying both to see what companies will do with their internet browsing history etc.

DoxThis

Level 3
Verified
Apr 25, 2015
Hi,

Not trying to be rude but please dont use danasoft its not even good lol, I use win 8.1 pro 64x bit and chrome
Screenshot_1.png

DoxThis

Level 3
Verified
Apr 25, 2015
When it comes down to it you really cant trust anybody not even yourself.
Even if you purchase a server monthly from a hosting company such as ecatel who doesn't give a rats behind about what you do with it aka make booter sites from script kiddies etc.
You can STILL be caught because what would they rather do?
1 serve you and your low server payments
2 sever alot of other people and throw you under the freaking bus and prevent being sued
Im guessing #2...

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I found SurfEasy's program to be buggy, I used the free version of it and sometimes when it shows that it is connected it really isn't. I haven't tried Freedom but in my opinion you should choose a company that is built solely on being a VPN company. I use CyberGhost but there are many other great options out there.

Reactions: Koroke San

DoxThis

Level 3
Verified
Apr 25, 2015
I found SurfEasy's program to be buggy, I used the free version of it and sometimes when it shows that it is connected it really isn't. I haven't tried Freedom but in my opinion you should choose a company that is built solely on being a VPN company. I use CyberGhost but there are many other great options out there.
Thats another thing most companies such a vyprvpn which I tried had software that was basically aids and down syndrome the worst of the worst. It was so freaking buggy and companies really need to stop or step up their level :/ the only company i know with a kinda stable gui is torguard and cyberghost<LOGS.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Thats another thing most companies such a vyprvpn which I tried had software that was basically aids and down syndrome the worst of the worst. It was so freaking buggy and companies really need to stop or step up their level :/ the only company i know with a kinda stable gui is torguard and cyberghost<LOGS.
Cyberghost logs? Their privacy statements states otherwise, and they are HQed in Romania which helps a lot being out of reach from the NSA and the other agencies. Also there have not been any cases that stated that Cyberghost has aided any government body in identifying individuals through logs? Would love to see your source :)

DoxThis

Level 3
Verified
Apr 25, 2015
Well im not trying to be rude but are you STUPID? Its kinda foolish to believe in companies' statements nowadays.
They all lie etc.
Also you seem really confident lol I dont trust them at all

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
F secure Freedome use IPV6 which is not good for privacy coz it leaks MAC Address. Don't know why they need IPV6. Also if u mistakenly uninstall Freedome then ur license key r gone & thats stupid. I don't know if freedome have dns leak protection or not. Plus yesterday i update cybreghost & it update openvpn component & after that Freedome stops working, it shows connected but webpage wasn't loading. Reinstalling fix this but i lost my key!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.