Battle VPN Privacy: Private Internet Access, ExpressVPN, HideMyAss, SpotFlux, TOrGuard?

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
Most importantly I want to compare privacy and lack of log keeping. If I want to for example watch 50 Shades of Gay I want to make sure that I can watch it in peace. Thank you.

I am located within the Cyber RIAA State of US.

I am not going to use this to do something neforious, I just once in a while I want to stay secure and private (while watching XXX) at a hotel.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
There are a lot of companies jumping on the VPN bandwagon right now .
And much like the AV market has become over the past few decades ..... there is a lot of snake oil on offer.

They pitch the idea of being one click away from privacy , security , anonymity or whatever ,
and it is often highly misleading.

The majority of VPN services leak to some degree , sad to tell , but true.
Does your chosen service have a kill switch ?
What happens if the connection gets dropped ?
Are multi-hops supported ?

And as for claims of " no logging " , we only have the provider's word on that .
We have no way of verifying the claim .

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Follow those vpns who do't work with US government(follow USA spying laws) or do't USA base :D
btw: PIA,HIDEMYASS,TorGaurd,GoTrusted,HideIP VPN,will rejected...
another one PureVpn is hongkong based vpn but they obey USA laws and follow them(this vpn rejected also)
ExpressVPN,CyberGhost,NordVPN,iB VPn are the best choice :)( personaly I choose IBVPN and CyberGhost,But many people said ExpressVpn is better but I never test Express vpn and I do't said its good or bad)
btw2:choose those vpns who accepted bitcoin :D

Last edited:

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
perfect-privacy vpn. only ram disks, no loggs at all, best windows client i have seen jet, no leaks at all duo firewall rules in the client and other leak protections, multi-hops connection true 4 at max. so u connect to on server,this server to another and so on-but it is slow than but incredible secure. the only downside is the price.

bobby holla

Level 2
Verified
Oct 30, 2014
IVPN win my Vote, they Guarantee your Anonymity over the internet. believe me, you will never have to worry when using IVPN, because the IVPN client software has an integrated firewall that offers the most advanced 'kill switch' solution on the market, ensuring your privacy is protected in every possible scenario

Their firewall that is more secure and robust than any traditional kill switch. Once enabled the IVPN Firewall integrates deep into the operating system (using Microsoft’s own WFP API on Windows ) and filters all network packets. Believe me you will never go wrong with them. ExpressVPN is good too cause i have em both on my Laptop.

Last edited:

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I am using Ivacy (Best VPN Service Stream Fast, Stay Anonymous & Surf Safely) for sometime now. It is a Honk Kong based VPN.
I read good news about Ivacy ,U can use it safe,(I said do't trust USA base VPN+ VPNS company who follow USA spying laws,for example PureVpn is Hong Kong base but they Follow USA rules...)
Ivacy is great alos,but personaly I never test it and can't said good (or) bad ?
but your choice is better than the other. my friend :)

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
I forgot to add, I want to run this VPN on my raspberry pi so I can occasionally watch TV shows. I don't have cable TV and my HD local channel reception is spotty so my main reason is to watch TV Shows on my Raspberry Pi by streaming them to my TV. However, I do not want to get into any MPAA issues or whatever governs TV shows. Hence the major need for the VPN.
I have NETFLIX and Amazon Prime for movies but they don't have up to date shows...i.e like Archer, Game of Thrones etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
I currently use purevpn because of all the options. I think they have a 3 day money back guarantee, just try it out and look at all the features! Not only that but it has so many countries and the speeds are average for a vpn. I also got purevpn cause it was during the winter sale, where you get 2 years for the price of 1. They also have lots of support, such as live chat and email support. They accept all kinds of currency including bitcoin in case you want to maintain your anonymity. Hope I helped!

Reactions: Logethica

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Follow those vpns who do't work with US government(follow USA spying laws) or do't USA base :D
btw: PIA,HIDEMYASS,TorGaurd,GoTrusted,HideIP VPN,will rejected...
another one PureVpn is hongkong based vpn but they obey USA laws and follow them(this vpn rejected also)
ExpressVPN,CyberGhost,NordVPN,iB VPn are the best choice :)( personaly I choose IBVPN and CyberGhost,But many people said ExpressVpn is better but I never test Express vpn and I do't said its good or bad)
btw2:choose those vpns who accepted bitcoin :D

Have to agree with omidomi, if you live in the US get a VPN service that doesn't have their HQ in the US, Cyberghost, AirVPN, etc.

Reason being, if they reside in the US, they would be more compelled to give up data if the government requests it, where as if they reside in another country, giving up data wouldn't be as easy because of all the privacy rules that the other country has, eg Cyberghost have their HQ in Romania which is very privacy friendly.

Also when you do VPN make sure to choose another country other than the US because they can just get a warrant for access to the physical server and pull data straight from there. Basically making your VPN useless.

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
NordVPN is the best VPN Service you could find it no matter how much you are trying ;)
It's unbeatable yet and gives you Double Data Encryption... NordVPN’s Double VPN technology encrypts data not once, but twice. It’s the tightest security in the industry, and it’s only available on NordVPN.

Official Website:
NordVPN

Reactions: omidomi

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
The following VPN services will ALL leak to some degree in Windows , either on reconnect or uplinking.
It is somewhat surprising because they are very well respected in most other regards :-

NordVPN
PureVPN
Ivacy

These do not leak , under any conditions :-

AirVPN
Mulvad
FrootVPN
iVPN
SlickVPN
Perfect Privacy

BTW , IPv6 is your enemy when it comes to using a VPN for privacy .

Be CERTAIN that it is disabled .... we don't want to be throwing the baby out with the bathwater :)

Reactions: frogboy and Rebsat

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.