Oct 9, 2016
In search of a DNS server we always look for

1) Must be fast
2) Comes with malware and unwanted web content filtration/blocking
3) Supports DNSCrypt
4) Supports DNSSEC
5) No logging

If you use a VPN you can check the DNS servers' addresses at ipleak.net

If the DNS addresses start with 73.xxx, 74.xxx, 173.xxx, 174.xxxx etc and you do a whois you'll find that they belong to Google in the respective countries.

Now, Google DNS supports DNSSEC and is fast.

We trust the VPN provider in keeping our privacy by not keeping logs. The questions are

1) How do we know that the VPN provider is not redirecting the DNS queries to Google servers directly or proxying them instead?
2) And, even if the VPN provider proxied the queries, are our DNS queries still being encrypted since Google DNS servers don't support DNSCrypt?
3) Is the VPN provider encrypting the DNS queries as in 2)? Or encryption is not required?

Last edited:

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
If you use a VPN you can check the DNS servers' addresses at ipleak.net

i just did. while using opera's built in vpn i got the google dns as you said. with my system wide vpn i get nothing google.

i tried this too :
& i was told
Your IPv6 is not leaking

i guess my taps are shut tight :D

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
i just did. while using opera's built in vpn i got the google dns as you said. with my system wide vpn i get nothing google.

i tried this too :
& i was told

i guess my taps are shut tight :D
Which system-wide VPN provider are you using that's not showing connection to Google servers? Have you tested with different countries say US, Canada etc You must whois the DNS addresses and see where they lead to

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
i did. i did this too : i got nothing u.s.a. nothing google nothing 73 / 74 / 174.
Not that.

1) Select the country in your VPN say US
2) Check at ipleak.net
3) Look under DNS Addresses. You can see many servers' addresses there say 74.xxxxx. In my case I have 48 servers
4) See this page for the block addresses by Google

74.125.186 - United States - Google Inc. - Search IP addresses

Similarly, you can check for any other country in your VPN

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
i just noticed that IP/DNS Detect is powered by air vpn. how much can you really trust a website promoting a competitor / rival vpn?
If you can find another site which shows the DNS servers' addresses of your VPN provider please post here. This can also use for double checking the ipleak.net site

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
there are quite a few but the only i found with no affiliation to any vpn provider is :
My desktop Windscribe VPN is now connecting to US and doileak.com shows

DNS Request Source:

We did get DNS requests from the following IPs:
74.125.80.76: Google (15169), United States (NA) (Leak?)

When I connect to Netherlands doileak.com shows

We did get DNS requests from the following IPs:
173.194.169.11: Google (15169), United States (NA) (Leak?)
173.194.170.104: Google (15169), United States (NA) (Leak?)

Can you see the DNS address of 74.xxx and 173.xxx which belong to Google which also shows in my post #5 above in the link to Google's block DNS addresses

Have you tested your VPN connecting to US and see?

Last edited:

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
i ain't mixing them :D let me make it simple for you.

i checked all the countries you mentioned with my system wide vpn namely canada, netherlands & u.s.a. on both sites doileak & ipleak.

on doileak & on ipleak my ip address / request ip & dns address / dns request source are either identical or they are the same barring the last

section, for example = ip : 111.222.333.444 dns : 111.222.333.444 OR ip : 111.222.333.444 dns : 111.222.333.442 two digits short at the end.

on doileak the name of the company for request ip & dns request source are identical too. which browser are you using?

Reactions: frogboy

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
i ain't mixing them :D let me make it simple for you.

i checked all the countries you mentioned with my system wide vpn namely canada, netherlands & u.s.a. on both sites doileak & ipleak.

on doileak & on ipleak my ip address / request ip & dns address / dns request source are either identical or they are the same barring the last

section, for example = ip : 111.222.333.444 dns : 111.222.333.444 OR ip : 111.222.333.444 dns : 111.222.333.442 two digits short at the end.

on doileak the name of the company for request ip & dns request source are identical too. which browser are you using?
Chrome for now in this discussion. What are you starting DNS servers numbers e.g. 73.xxx, 74.xxx, 173.xxx, 174.xxx.?

What VPN provider are you using?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
i had a feeling you are using google chrome or a chromium fork, with the free windscribe package right? you need to fix your leaks HF :p :D
I'm using Chrome browser with the free Windscribe VPN desktop version

It's the DNS servers you are connecting to in that country. NO leak since they are NOT my ISP DNS servers.

Last edited:

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
It's the DNS servers you are connecting to. NO leak since they are NOT my ISP DNS servers.

you started this thread about dns & vpn leaks so i guess it is embarrassing for you when you yourself are leaking left right & center.

you have no clue what vpn i have, you have no clue which browser i tried for the leaks, you have no clue what my dns / ip address is & yet

you just unabashedly make a wasteful assumption :

It's the DNS servers you are connecting to

throughout this thread i tried to co-operate with you on a topic you yourself are no expert at, the least you could do is accept your

shortcomings but instead of gratitude i get this ridiculous BS :

NO leak since they are NOT my ISP DNS servers.

you just started this thread MetaDefender Extension for Chrome Browser - Small problem

did it ever cross your mind that may be it is time to switch to another browser or re-install chrome? no shame in admitting an id10t error.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
you started this thread about dns & vpn leaks so i guess it is embarrassing for you when you yourself are leaking left right & center.

you have no clue what vpn i have, you have no clue which browser i tried for the leaks, you have no clue what my dns / ip address is & yet

you just unabashedly make a wasteful assumption :

throughout this thread i tried to co-operate with you on a topic you yourself are no expert at, the least you could do is accept your

shortcomings but instead of gratitude i get this ridiculous BS :

you just started this thread MetaDefender Extension for Chrome Browser - Small problem

did it ever cross your mind that may be it is time to switch to another browser or re-install chrome? no shame in admitting an id10t error.
You are using OPERA browser! Is that VPN or proxy?

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
You are using OPERA browser! Is that VPN (or rather proxy) in OPERA system-wide?

huh :confused: that is all you could come up with, OPERA in capitals. am done with you. come back after you have graduated from the vpn college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.