VPN Providers Threaten to Quit India Over New Data Law

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
VPN companies are squaring up for a fight with the Indian government over new rules designed to change how they operate in the country. On April 28, officials announced that virtual private network companies will be required to collect swathes of customer data—and maintain it for five years or more—under a new national directive. VPN providers have two months to accede to the rules and start collecting data.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Sad to hear about it, India is good country , I hope that Indian Government change their ideas...
The Indian govt is unofficially part of Five eyes, Govt of India have extraordinary relationship with Israel ( Pegasus) , we are all under DPI from our Indian ISPs, most torrent webportals are blocked ( even if its on https), anything illegal/anti govt or on its fringes is blocked. So, the decision to make vpns budge is not at all surprising for us Indians.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
The Indian govt is unofficially part of Five eyes, Govt of India have extraordinary relationship with Israel ( Pegasus) , we are all under DPI from our Indian ISPs, most torrent webportals are blocked ( even if its on https), anything illegal/anti govt or on its fringes is blocked. So, the decision to make vpns budge is not at all surprising for us Indians.
Wow, very surprised....
This link may be helpful:

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Wow, very surprised....
This link may be helpful:
Its a US of A website, What difference does it make? Don't forget the fact that Edward Snowden was not exposing internet-based privacy issues of Afganistan. Apart from that these kinds of NGO/organistaions have little value In India and on Indian government, The Government hasn't budged on the Ukraine issue even though there were extreme pressure from USA and other western countries, this issue of vpns are nothing infront of the Ukraine issue and we expect to make change by just publishing an article in a US of A website?

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
VPN providers have, predictably, opposed the rules on grounds that they invade users' privacy. One such provider, ProtonVPN, openly offers procedures for India-based users to work around the rules.
India's Internet Freedom Foundation has offered an extensive criticism of the regulations...
The foundation also points out that the privacy implications of the rules – especially five-year retention of personal information – is a very significant requirement at a time when India's Draft Data Protection Bill has proven so controversial it has failed to reach a vote in Parliament, and debate about digital privacy in India is ongoing and fierce.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022

I hear a lot about "5 eyes" but really don't know anything about it. Intertesting, no mention of India here, but, being an ex-British colony, their involement wouldn't surprise me considering they gained independence 1 year after this alliance was created.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I hear a lot about "5 eyes" but really don't know anything about it. Intertesting, no mention of India here, but, being an ex-British colony, their involement wouldn't surprise me considering they gained independence 1 year after this alliance was created.

India is part of Quad alliance ( USA, Australia, India & Japan) and these nations have real-time intelligence sharing both on maritime and other interested areas. In 2020 there was a proposal to include India to 5 eyes...for all practical purposes India is a benefitiory of this group.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019

If you have to actually be worried about eyes you are going to need more than a public VPN.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.