Advice Request VPN and Notification of Changes to their Privacy Policies

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Besides VPN Zero Log Policies, do you read about changes to their Privacy Policies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Much talk throughout the web in regard to choosing a VPN is their zero log policy, followed by the country where they are based.

One that is very popular in the US, emphasizes their proven Zero Log Policies. Before taking the plunge, I decided to read their Privacy Policy where they too, mention Zero Logging but I also came across a passage where they can change their policy at any time without notice.

Other VPNs mention that they would at least give their customers some advance notice which I think is only fair.

My point is what good is a zero log policy if the VPN can suddenly change that policy without notifying the customer? In other words, you think they are zero logging, and then suddenly, for some reason they decide to start. Good-bye anonymity and privacy!

In my personal opinion, I think the mechanism for notification of VPN Policy Changes is also worthy of a lengthy and serious discussion, especially by VPN users and reviewers because it supplements Zero Logging, and goes towards privacy considerations for which people choose their VPN.

That being said, I have not found any discussion on this topic, and I think it deserves more attention, in addition to the marketing hype of just Zero Logging, so that consumers can make more informed decisions regarding their VPN provider.

D

Deleted member 65228

Yes, they can do this. They can also be breached and have their work manipulated without them even knowing by a large threat actor with the correct resources unless something goes pear-shaped and it gets baited, look at what happened to CCleaner a few months ago.

Nothing is 100% anonymous.

Daviworld

Level 2
Verified
Feb 19, 2018
I have set-up my own VPN's via VPS and used plenty of paid & free service's over the year's regarding VPN's. It's not uncommon for some policy's to be hard to find on the website, hard to understand/not clear, or just flat out missing(seriously)... Obviously some of these ring a red flag.

Since the spot light is being focused on VPN's, their infrastructure I believe will be targeted more, and more.

I currently used ProtonVPN, after doing extensive research on them. But, even they're not immune to attack's, early this month they had a massive DDoS attack which disabled their VPN service for about 20-30mins.

However, when it come's to who do I trust to safeguard my data and stand up for my data when challenged, they have a pretty good history and track record of doing so, so I put my stock with them. But, I am also aware that they are by no mean's a 100% solutions, as anything that enter's the internet is susceptible in some one way or another to an attack vector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.