/
Firewall security
About custom security
/
Periodic malware scanners
/
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Emsisoft Browser Security (Google Chrome)
Maintenance tools
Bleachbit
sudo apt autoclean autoremove
Integrated cleanup with browsers
File and Photo backup
My external hard drive
System recovery
File manager Nautilus
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading malware samples
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
Custom building

Intel Core i5 8400
nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti
8GB DDR4 x1
Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD
Notable changes
Things that have changed:
  • Operating system (Windows 10 to Ubuntu)
  • DNS provider (Comodo SecureDNS to Cisco OpenDNS)
  • My activity (Downloading samples and testing them inside VMware)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
You may like trying out "Adguard Adblocker" as replacement for your Adblock

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@vuksha_xc60:

Set UAC to Always Notify.

You may migrate to Kaspersky Security Cloud Free, where You can tweak the main security modules.

In Photos and Documents Backup, consider also cloud services.

In Backup and Restore, Windows File Explorer??? :unsure: I guess this is not full image system backup solution, You may add: Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliable.

In Periodic Scanners, You may change to MalWareBytes Free or EmsiSoft Emergengy Kit.

In Browsers and Extensions, You may change to uBlock Origin or AdGuard AdBlocker, Ghostery + AdBlock is overkill (doing same working)...

A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
UAC to Always Notify is the safest setting and protects from UAC bypasses.

Kaspersky Free is or will be replaced by Kaspersky Security Cloud Free.

Ghostery and Adblock both do the same thing.
Choose one or replace with uBlock Origin or AdGuard (both are highly recommended here).

Why Comodo Dragon for browser (is not up to date with the latest chromium patches)?
You already have MS Edge Chromium.

Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool is kind of useless if you are already running Kaspersky Free.

Think about the comments given about backups, it's the best protection for your precious files.

vuksha_xc60

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 22, 2020
-I'm saving my files to the same location (on D: drive) - one folder for pictures and videos, one for music etc. I see no reason using backup software since I know what changes I make and copy them to external drive.
-Comodo Dragon is secondary browser. I was having some issues with Chromium (caused by CIS Auto Contaiment)
-I've already replaced the Adblock with Ghostery only and my browser got faster.
-I've changed UAC to always notify. I've also put a password request when it prompts. It uses my account to authenticate.
-I don't have much trust to cloud services. I only use OneDrive for my school documents and it works fine.

I've scanned my PC with EEK, it only found leftovers from Kaspersky's quarantine (which I forgot to clean 😒)

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Some learning curve needed here. I would back up more than once a month, everyone needs to backup or make a system image regardless of computer or data stored.

Ghostery is unneeded if you need privacy extensions go for things like ClearURLs, CanvasBlocker etc etc. Adguard does a better job than Ghostery imo.

~LDogg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.