Well-known
Aug 23, 2013

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
For picture quality 'bang for buck' I would recommend Samsung. Their sets win most of the awards here in the UK. I'm not sure if this particular model is available in The States but it's the one I'm most interested in. It's plummeted in price from around £1,000 in June to £550 now (about $750?).
Samsung UE49KU6400 review and best prices (KU6400) | S21

It has HDR, which gives a wider range of colours and better contrast, but to be considered fully HDR compatible it also needs to be Ultra HD Premium, which it isn't. Personally I'm not too bothered. If you continue to wait until the next technological development is available at a reasonable price then you'd never buy a TV.

Regarding sales extending beyond Cyber Monday, that is certainly the case here in the UK. However, our most respected consumer publication, Which?, researched prices and found that, for many goods, they were actually available at a lower price before Black Friday.

Surely it couldn't be one big cynical marketing gimmick? No doubt John Drake and Number Six would take a very dim view of the whole thing:(.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Is Avera any good?

I'm looking seriously at a 55" Hisense, (https://uedata.amazon.com/Hisense-5...-bin:7688788011,p_n_condition-type:2224371011, Hisense - 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV with High Dynamic Range - Black, Hisense H8C Review (50H8C, 55H8C)) although I'd really like 65". I just know if I can get one within my budget.

If you continue to wait until the next technological development is available at a reasonable price then you'd never buy a TV.

True!

Surely it couldn't be one big cynical marketing gimmick? No doubt John Drake and Number Six would take a very dim view of the whole thing:(.

Number Six--you're referring to The Prisoner, aren't you?

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Number Six--you're referring to The Prisoner, aren't you?
Yes. Your Avatar is Patrick McGoohan, isn't it? I'm a big fan of The Prisoner and Danger Man (Secret Agent in the US). Also thought he was excellent in his various Columbo episodes.

Regarding Hi Sense, it's not a brand that's very prominent here in the UK and I haven't been able to find many expert reviews on their sets, but customer reviews seem to be pretty good. If possible I'd try to get a proper demo of it before you consider buying it.

I've never heard of Avera. Apologies if I'm wrong but I suspect it is one of those all too common 'Supermarket Specials' comprising poor quality cheap components and best avoided.

Reactions: Venustus

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Samsung is great, but for the size TV I want it seems to be beyond my budget.

I get the impression Avera is a Chinese brand probably best avoided.

I am really interested in the Hisense 55H8C. I have seen one and I can't tell any difference from the 55" Samsung next to it, but I'm an untrained eye.

There is a good price on a 55" TCL.Does anybody have an opinion on the TCL brand?

What about Sharp brand?

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Samsung is great, but for the size TV I want it seems to be beyond my budget.

I get the impression Avera is a Chinese brand probably best avoided.

I am really interested in the Hisense 55H8C. I have seen one and I can't tell any difference from the 55" Samsung next to it, but I'm an untrained eye.

There is a good price on a 55" TCL.Does anybody have an opinion on the TCL brand?

What about Sharp brand?

From personal experience, i would avoid Sharp. I had a sharp tv, video player, dvd player, etc (yep long time ago) and the tv went kaput almost as soon as the guarantee was up, the video player and dvd still works i think.

Samsung customer support is crap, my bedroom tv is samsung but when the HDMI sockets stopped working (after only a few uses, they wouldn't do anything about it despite having a 5 year guarantee) but if you are in the UK then you should probably check out AO online or even John Lewis as they provide 5 year guarantees on most tv's. I don't know much about Hisense but they are a pretty big brand in Europe and like most electronics companies these days, they manufacture all sorts from washing machines to tv's , i have seen the picture quality and it looks good. I think if your funds allowed, then i would stick to someone like Sony or Panasonic who IMO make quality products.

In the time it's taken me write this, you will have already purchased a tv no doubt but that's my tuppence worth anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: conceptualclarity

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
From personal experience, i would avoid Sharp. I had a sharp tv, video player, dvd player, etc (yep long time ago) and the tv went kaput almost as soon as the guarantee was up, the video player and dvd still works i think.

Samsung customer support is crap, my bedroom tv is samsung but when the HDMI sockets stopped working (after only a few uses, they wouldn't do anything about it despite having a 5 year guarantee) but if you are in the UK then you should probably check out AO online or even John Lewis as they provide 5 year guarantees on most tv's. I don't know much about Hisense but they are a pretty big brand in Europe and like most electronics companies these days, they manufacture all sorts from washing machines to tv's , i have seen the picture quality and it looks good. I think if your funds allowed, then i would stick to someone like Sony or Panasonic who IMO make quality products.

In the time it's taken me write this, you will have already purchased a tv no doubt but that's my tuppence worth anyway.

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I haven't gotten a new TV yet. I did buy a Hisense from a new seller on Amazon called Sharon Ochotorena, but I have not gotten it. It appears she is a criminal and hasn't delivered to anybody. I learned my lesson about buying from brand new sellers on Amazon. I hope she has not made it to South America yet.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
TCL and Sharp are something very common for Smart TV considering the availability of parts and hassle free in terms of warranty.

Usually all Smart TV have identical features that relates on High Definition and better resolution however majority is defeated in terms of security concept.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.