Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajay123

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 12, 2014
Hello guys,
I would like to try ESS 8 since i've got a 6 months licence key....How to configure Eset to get good protection?...I've heard that theres some problem with the default HIPS setting...I'm currently using KIS 2015 and havent encountered any problems..But i feel KIS is a bit heavier..and seen many of the members choosing ESS over KIS due to its lightness and perfomance..SO Wht's ur opinion guys?...NEed help

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually there is no problem in HIPS from ESET the only thing is set like in learning mode to train all applications and services to be trusted that were installed. Because default settings relies on predefined rules which you can edit it. ;)

Reactions: Ajay123

Ajay123

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 12, 2014
Thank you guys ESS 8 installed and configured.....Is there any way for updating databases offline???

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Thank you guys ESS 8 installed and configured.....Is there any way for updating databases offline???
Scanwith.com was offering offline updates for NOD32 and Smart Security, but apparently as those updates are not suitable and complete in some way, ESET is blocking download from them as it marks it as "Potentially Dangerous Content".
Old versions of ESET had an option to configure it's program to update itself from a local folder, that option doesn't exist anymore, and ESET recommends it only if you have a business license of Endpoint Security by creating a mirror server.

Ajay123

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 12, 2014
Scanwith.com was offering offline updates for NOD32 and Smart Security, but apparently as those updates are not suitable and complete in some way, ESET is blocking download from them as it marks it as "Potentially Dangerous Content".
Old versions of ESET had an option to configure it's program to update itself from a local folder, that option doesn't exist anymore, and ESET recommends it only if you have a business license of Endpoint Security by creating a mirror server.
yp...ESS is blocking scanwith.com...Is there any other way to update offline???....Do i need to use MBAM pro with ESS??

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
yp...ESS is blocking scanwith.com...Is there any other way to update offline???....Do i need to use MBAM pro with ESS??
There's no other way.
Well I don't have a need to use mbam, but it's your decision, you can use it if you want.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
I've set HIPS to smart mode..Is that enough or do i need to make any more changes??
Thank you .
Bro First of all there is no problem in the HIPS in ESET, The fact is that ESET HIPS are very advanced but not working to its full potential, but the latest ESET v8 has solved that problem by Introducing new Smart Mode of HIPS.

I would suggest you to Enable PUP(Potentially Unwanted Program) Detection.

If you are a Normal User, than ESET Smart Security is more than enough, but if you still want to make sure that your PC free of viruses, than you should scan your PC with On-Demand Scanner like Emsisoft Emergency Kit & Hitman Pro weekly or monthly

Bro i would suggest you to update Online, don't try those Offline Update tricks.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
If you uninstall Kaspersky, depending on the version e.g., MR1 the Kaspersky removal tool will not work. Eset (so I've heard) is an amazing, light and highly configurable security suite. Whether it offers the same protection as Kaspersky I'm not too sure, but by all means give it a try.

King Kong

Level 1
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Vendors offer different security packages, I advise visiting ESET's webpage for more details.
http://www.eset.com/us/home/products/smart-security/

You can remove Kaspersky if you have administrative privileges, and whether or not a Kaspersky Removal Tool is available for post-uninstall, I haven't checked.

Yes, there is a Kaspersky removal tool, http://media.kaspersky.com/utilities/consumerutilities/kavremover.exe

For others, http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146

Ajay123

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 12, 2014
Bro First of all there is no problem in the HIPS in ESET, The fact is that ESET HIPS are very advanced but not working to its full potential, but the latest ESET v8 has solved that problem by Introducing new Smart Mode of HIPS.

I would suggest you to Enable PUP(Potentially Unwanted Program) Detection.

If you are a Normal User, than ESET Smart Security is more than enough, but if you still want to make sure that your PC free of viruses, than you should scan your PC with On-Demand Scanner like Emsisoft Emergency Kit & Hitman Pro weekly or monthly

Bro i would suggest you to update Online, don't try those Offline Update tricks.
Thank you for your suggestion bro...I've set HIPS to smart mode..I'm using Hitman Pro , MBAM and EEK as on demand scanners...Do i need to use MBAM pro to be on safer side? ????.. i should say ESS8 is lighter than KIS 2015 on my system..
Thank you

Reactions: MrExplorer
I

illumination

Thank you for your suggestion bro...I've set HIPS to smart mode..I'm using Hitman Pro , MBAM and EEK as on demand scanners...Do i need to use MBAM pro to be on safer side? ????.. i should say ESS8 is lighter than KIS 2015 on my system..
Thank you
There is no need to run the real time protection of MBAM with ESS, just use MBAM as a on demand. ESS provides very good protection coupled with a little common sense, and the on demands are a just in case thing.

Ajay123

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 12, 2014
There is no need to run the real time protection of MBAM with ESS, just use MBAM as a on demand. ESS provides very good protection coupled with a little common sense, and the on demands are a just in case thing.
Thank you bro...I would like to how to setup a VM for malware testing purpose..

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.