Warning about the Razer Mouse Synapse Configurator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
warning about the Razer Mouse

i got a Razer Mouse to use for gaming and it uses Razer Synapse Configurator to help control your mouse for games it cost me $85 for it

ok so far so good i'v been using it for over a year and it's a good mouse but on a new update
about a week ago thay added some form of a keylogger to the Razer Synapse Configurator thay call

"Stats & Hitmaps"

"Razer Synapse Stats & Hitmaps allows you to optionally analyse your gameplay by tracking all your
in-game clicks, movements and generated heatmaps"

it adds extra processes that do not need to be running just to use a Mouse and records your keystrokes
i sent in a complaint about it and thay said that there Keylogger is not malicious and i said i did not
say it was malicious but a keylogger and thay said if i did not like it to uninstall the Razer Synapse
Configurator

i asked for a way to turn it off because i do not use it Razer says to send in suggestions to support
and that thay listen to there users

so thay think it's ok to not tell users thay put a Keylogger on there pc with a update with out saying
nothing about it and what are thay using this info for?

i wish i know more about how to track what info this Razer Synapse Configurator is sending to them?

:)

James

edit: for miss spelling

Last edited:

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
I too find that this update addon is unneeded and intrusive. Year after year we dive deeper in this obsessive spying. This doesn't not bode well...

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
well the only way i have found to turn this off is i disabled Razer Game Scanner in services
but other Processes still start at the pc startup and i have to kill these other Processes at
startup

Razer Chromium Render Process
RazerIngameEngine
RzStats.Manager

process explorer says that there is no startup location with these Processes
Autoruns does not even find them

it seems that i can kill them at startup and the mouse still works with just the RzSynapse.exe running

i just wish there was a better way of turning it off because i notice that the logs it makes become fragmented
fast and grow in size fast even though i have not used it

and the name Razer Chromium Render Process seems like it watches the web browser

this all seems a bit much and i was going to buy a Razer Keyboard but now i do not think so

James

maybe i should just stop playing World of Tanks BUT! lol i got my M4 Sherman
after a very long and hard grind with the M3 Lee and i think i'm in love

with the 105mm M4 gun it's a very fun tank and a keeper for me because it makes
money in the game

but would it not be boring recording me play grinding for tanks?

so it makes me wonder what kind of information thay gather and what it is used for
besides $$$

now i can see that online gaming info as useful but this thing seems to do more?

and i thought after i payed $85 at the cash register it was over but maybe not

now i do not feel alone on my own pc

and i can't make it go away

Damn EULA

:(

James

Last edited by a moderator:

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
"update"

after meany e-mail's exchanged (i would not give up) :rolleyes:

and a big argument

today comes a update for Razer Synapse Configurator

i do not know what happened but i must not have been the only one to catch this and complane but
they took out the the 3 questionable processes

Razer Chromium Render Process
RazerIngameEngine
RzStats.Manager

and now only 2 processes are running

gamescannerserivce
Razer synapse

i'm sure it still get's my information and sends it but not as bad as it was and no more logs that
grow to GB's in size and are heavily fragmented

James

Reactions: Neno

madcowcancer

Mar 26, 2016
over a year later and these processes have been added back to razer at some point. im showing 3 different Razer Chromium Render Processes all running and unstoppable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.