Malware News Warning: Two Dangerous Ransomware Are Back – Protect Your Computers

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Ransomware has been around for a few years but has become an albatross around everyone's neck—from big businesses and financial institutions to hospitals and individuals worldwide—with cyber criminals making millions of dollars.

In just past few months, we saw a scary strain of ransomware attacks including WannaCry, Petya and LeakerLocker, which made chaos worldwide by shutting down hospitals, vehicle manufacturing, telecommunications, banks and many businesses.

Before WannaCry and Petya, the infamous Mamba full-disk-encrypting ransomware and the Locky ransomware had made chaos across the world last year, and the bad news is—they are back with their new and more damaging variants than ever before.

Full Article. Warning: Two Dangerous Ransomware Are Back – Protect Your Computers

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Nice atricle, frogboy. Thanks!!! I wonder why many users are scared of ransomware/malware....
I always keep the valuable information on the extrenal devices like usb drive/dvd disks. Even if my PC is infected with ransomare/malware I will try to disinfect or reinstall OS ( I will radically clean/wipe my hard drive with a special utilities like East-Tec). But I will never pay them money :mad:

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I don't think luck has too much to do with it. A good defensive plan along with a comprehensive backup solution should keep any one safe.
It depends, in the company where I work, the bad luck is to have idiots employees with easy double-click that open all the emails, and I can guarantee you that no security system can save you from idiots, of course thanks...many thanks to the backup! ;)

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
It depends, in the company where I work, the bad luck is to have idiots employees with easy double-click that open all the emails, and I can guarantee you that no security system can save you from idiots, of course thanks...many thanks to the backup! ;)

Yep, in that situation it's not if, but when. I run a small company and have two people on my computers. but they are smart savy and totally trust worthy

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I've only ran into ransomware on an individual consumers PC one time in 4 years. I don't believe it's that big of a threat to your run of the mill home computer user because the vector of attack is usually something specific to business. SBS/Exchange, local outlook use, local download of attachments (WSF, DOCM, etc) via Microsoft Office. While the typical home user probably uses Webmail more than outlook and often they use a vectorless Libreoffice that won't even run the DOCM, etc.

As a fairly large MSP, we've never have a client infected with ransomware by using a combination of Fortinet on the Gateway, Trend Worry Free Advanced on the endpoints (with unauthorized encryption protection and machine learning), and Trend HES for Email Protection w/Aggressive settings and sandbox evaluation.. However we've taken over IT for firms impacted by ransomware and universally find the cause was sloppy IT and/or non-layered security approaches.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.