Battle Wavebox or just use my own browser?

Compare list
Wavebox

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
This app is an electron wrapper for Gmail and other web services. If you click a link in a Gmail message, it will open within the Wavebox environment, using its own Chromium-based browser. That is how I understand it, anyways.

Is this app secure? How do I know their brew of Chromium is worth anything, security-wise? I am not so worried about connecting to Gmail and other secure web services, as it supports OAuth. That's not the question. What concerns me is when I click a link in a Gmail message and start browsing the unknown.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't get it. What's wrong with the bookmarks to all needed services?
It puts any number of accounts and services under one roof, neatly organized. In my case, there are 3 Gmail accounts that I monitor, one of them with its associated Google drive. So I have lots of Google-related tabs open, spread across two or three different browsers. That's clutter. Wavebox puts it all together.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
It puts any number of accounts and services under one roof, neatly organized. In my case, there are 3 Gmail accounts that I monitor, one of them with its associated Google drive. So I have lots of Google-related tabs open, spread across two or three different browsers. That's clutter. Wavebox puts it all together.
Chrome has profile option. You can make three profiles and just open them at the same time so there's no need for different browsers.

Also, why not use mail client for three Gmail accounts at the same time?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Chrome has profile option. You can make three profiles and just open them at the same time so there's no need for different browsers.

Also, why not use mail client for three Gmail accounts at the same time?
Look, I am not trying to convince you to use Wavebox. I just want to know how secure it is. I have tried a few mail clients, and for various reasons, I prefer the Gmail interface and search ability.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Thanks. I currently use Rambox CE, but I had to tweak it to enable dark mode, and load FB Messenger as a webpage in order to have the same. If this is faster and requires no tweaking, then I can switch.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks. I currently use Rambox CE, but I had to tweak it to enable dark mode, and load FB Messenger as a webpage in order to have the same. If this is faster and requires no tweaking, then I can switch.
Check it out and let us know how it compares. The free version of Wavebox allows only two Gmail accounts, there might be other limitations as well.

Reactions: Venustus

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Found these on Wavebox Alternatives and Similar Software | AlternativeTo

Free and Pro versions available.

If you use Edge, you could set-up multiple profiles in one browser for each Gmail account. May be possible with other browsers, although not tested.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.