Way to stop alerts for new "giveaway" threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Somehow I'm getting Alerts for all new giveaway threads. Is this mandatory?
I agree.. This is annoying..
especially as I cannot participate in MT giveaways due to my being anti Facebook and Twitter.
The Irony of this is that I can benefit from 3rd-party giveaways (such as those from Giveawayoftheday) but not from those offered directly from MalwareTips (despite my being a member).:rolleyes:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Adguard shuts this off if you time that popup window just right ;)
I don't get the scrolling ticker, or the lower right corner post nag, all that
is off. I have been liberated :p

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I can understand they want to promote the site. I think this is a new practice. Just making sure I wasn't missing a setting.
The site is ad free and we work hard on our own time to secure and run these giveaways.
Given the fact that there are anywhere from 500 plus guests and 50 plus robots most of the time it is a necessary evil,if you will.
This "inconvenience" brings traffic and new members to the site.
The scrolling ticker is used by many sites to promote giveaways and contests.It is also used in "appreciation" to those vendors who shell out a ton of free software licenses for our members.They deserve some form of product recognition on the forum homepage more than just a thread buried in one section of the forum.
As for the social media requirement.Once again the vendors want their product out there and the vendors do partake in social media.
I do not partake in social media either however I do have a Twitter account for when I might need to use it.Not hard to make and not hard to make an extra mail account just for that.
Annoying maybe but there is something behind implementing this.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
The site is ad free and we work hard on our own time to secure and run these giveaways.
Given the fact that there are anywhere from 500 plus guests and 50 plus robots most of the time it is a necessary evil,if you will.
The scrolling ticker is used by many sites to promote giveaways and contests.It is also used in "appreciation" to those vendors who shell out a ton of free software licenses for our members.They deserve some form of product recognition on the forum homepage more than just a thread buried in one section of the forum.
As for the social media requirement.Once again the vendors want their product out there and the vendors do partake in social media.
I do not partake in social media either however I do have a Twitter account for when I might need to use it.Not hard to make and not hard to make an extra mail account just for that.
Annoying maybe but there is something behind implementing this.
I only use Twitter as well, and if the Giveaway is something I really want, then its no big deal to create a Twitter acct. I agree.
Seeing the Ticker is healthy "for the site" I have allowed it through AdGuard. Just not the native popup's on the upper and lower right.
Thanks Exterminator ;)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I only use Twitter as well, and if the Giveaway is something I really want, then its no big deal to create a Twitter acct. I agree.
Seeing the Ticker is healthy "for the site" I have allowed it through AdGuard. Just not the native popup's on the upper and lower right.
Thanks Exterminator ;)
Nothing wrong with blocking the pop ups especially for established members.These are for new members and guests however some pop ups are helpful to new members.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Nothing wrong with blocking the pop ups especially for established members.These are for new members and guests however some pop ups are helpful to new members.
Yeah correct, so let me clarify now, that I am not condoning new members blocking any helpful popups
as it may result in you missing a very important tip or suggestion that could help, or prevent you knowing
MT's Guidelines or Rules, My suggestion would be no blocking till your a lvl 15 ;)
If you block something now and get into trouble , I have deniability :p

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I think it fundamentally wrong to join a site (ie MalwareTips) and be told that to participate in the giveaways then one must also join an additional site (ie Facebook or Twitter)...

It brings new members that only appear out of the ether each time that there is a possibility to get "something for nothing"..
Are you really wanting to decrease even further the ratio of registered members to that of active forum participants?
MT has roughly 33,000 registered members,yet only roughly 300 active members.
The more this gap widens then the less serious the site will be taken IMO.

... in "appreciation" to those vendors who shell out a ton of free software licenses for our members.They deserve some form of product recognition on the forum homepage more than just a thread buried in one section of the forum.
I had previously suggested that Developers be allowed their own proper section on MT.. and that each developer had their own Thread that was for advertisements & promotions (and was closed to member posts) and a second thread that was for customer support where members could ask questions (like we have with Crystal Security etc..)
My suggestion was dismissed.
Whether it is "hard" to create a Twitter account is irrelevant if one does not want to be a member of twitter.
I joined MalwareTips because I wanted to...I do not want to join Facebook or Twitter.
I will just have to benefit from giveaways from sites that I am not a member of (like givewayoftheday) because the site that I am a member of wants me to join extra sites before I am eligible for giveaways.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
No one is telling you to join twitter or facebook but those are the giveaway rules.
How is that fundamentally wrong when a vendor that is providing free licenses for the members wants the giveaway link shared on social media by those who enter?
What would you suggest? Turn down the giveaways? Just stop the giveaways altogether?
I am only trying to explain the admin side of this.The Dev's are free to join the site and have there own section anytime they want to.
The giveaway ticker on the homepage and the reason for having it up have nothing to do with Dev's and giving Dev's their own threads.
This popup question has absolutely nothing to do with your suggestion and your not being able to enter a giveaway because you choose to not join social media.
I try and explain the admin position on the OP's question and it turns into a giant blame the site and the admin thread.
I can understand they want to promote the site. I think this is a new practice. Just making sure I wasn't missing a setting.
This was the OP's response in response to my first reply.It should have been the end of the story there.
I am sorry you are disgruntled with the site but I have nothing else I can say.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello @Paul B.
As far as I can understand, you are talking about the alert that we send when a new giveaway is available, similar to the one below. Right?
1.jpg
We only have a few giveaways per month, and we only send 1 alert per thread. Like all things we do, this is meant to actually help our members by informing them about the giveaways. We never did anything that is against our members best interest or something that would be annoying to them.
Also to be noted that this alert, similar to the one that you get when you receive a "Like", is dismissed when you however over it.
Anyway, I'll take into account your feedback. thanks!

Adguard shuts this off if you time that popup window just right ;)
I don't get the scrolling ticker, or the lower right corner post nag, all that
is off. I have been liberated :p
@_CyberGhosT_, he's not talking about the pop-ups :p... Which by the way, you should not block as they all have a "Dismiss" button, and are there for informative purposes rather than to annoy you.
I think it fundamentally wrong to join a site (ie MalwareTips) and be told that to participate in the giveaways then one must also join an additional site (ie Facebook or Twitter)...
@Logethica, almost all giveaways on the Internet require you to do something... subscribe via email, share on Facebook or Twitter, complete a survey... This is nothing more than marketing. You do have the alternative to skip all this and just buy the software.

I had previously suggested that Developers be allowed their own proper section on MT.. and that each developer had their own Thread that was for advertisements & promotions (and was closed to member posts) and a second thread that was for customer support where members could ask questions (like we have with Crystal Security etc..)
My suggestion was dismissed.
All developers have their own sites and prefer (for good reasons) to give support there. Most of them have even built-in into their software links to their support section.
123.jpg
We are very lucky to have such a high number of developers in this community and most of them will respond to all the questions that are submitted in their forum: https://malwaretips.com/forums/security-software-updates-debates-and-questions.24/
@Sandboxie Help, @Mert Can ALICI, @Erik Loman, @Emsisoft and all the other developers, are following the threads that are created in their sections in the Security Software forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.