Raiden

Level 13
Verified
Content Creator
I was messing around and decided to run the "WD Network Protection" test on the WD Test Ground website and it doesn't seem to be working (W10 1809). I've tried it in both Chrome and Firefox with no luck. I double checked to make sure it was enabled (not enabled by default) and it was. I know for a fact that within the last couple of weeks it was working fine, but I am starting to wonder if the issues with the most recent patch Tuesday has broken this as well? I was wondering if those who are using WD and have that feature turned on could try running the test (in either Chrome/Firefox) to see if you notice the same thing, or if it's just me?

I've seen this issue in the past and it wasn't fixed until a major release, so hopefully this isn't the case.

Evjl's Rain

Level 43
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Fortunately it works, only the demo page is invalid. For example the old phishing link is still blocked by WD Network Protection:
hxxp://log4sbhl4.aqo.io/KOAfile/AT&T/index.php
doesn't work for me and the OP
this problem was also reported in wilderssecurity by a few members. WDNP worked initially but suddenly stopped working

Andy Ful

Level 48
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
it still works at some points but the detection rate is poor as you could see in my test long ago (<2-day old malwares and phishing). It performed well/average in your test (5-day old phishing links)
it is good (but there are some better) for a few-day threats. It probably follows from keeping by Microsoft, the low rate of false positives for Network Protection. I noticed that many of the fresh phishing samples are the false positives, so it is hard to test the effectiveness of the protection, in fact the "aggressiveness + effectiveness" is measured.
I think that, WD NP can block the similar threats as SmartScreen, but by using different methods. For WD NP, the user has to try opening the malicious content, and then it can be blocked. It is not sufficient to open the malicious website, and that is usually blocked by web browser extensions.

Last edited:

Raiden

Level 13
Verified
Content Creator
Thanks @Andy Ful and @Evjl's Rain for testing this. I'm glad to hear it's not just me. I'm also glad that it's just the demo page that's not working, but technically it's still working. I do wish that Microsoft would be more consistent and test things. For me I like demo pages because they are a quick and safe way to test a feature/product without having to use real malware. Most people would assume that if fails the demo page that the feature/product isn't working properly. I shouldnt have to find real malware to test it.