Battle WD+Spyshelter pro or Kaspersky 2017?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
either way I go, I will combo it with HitmanPro.Alert.

I install SpyShelter without the keystroke hooks, and I set it up to start with Windows services, and to run at medium security. So it does not bombard me with pop-ups, but protects the system from boot and on. Although there are some things it cannot do, HMPA hopefully makes up for that.

Kaspersky on my system has a minus that the cloud protection shows itself as disconnected, and Kaspersky reputation services is unavailable half the time. (This is due to my ISP.)
And TAM hampers my productivity, so I don't use it.

So, which config is better?

Reactions: Logethica

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It depends on your needs.

Usually those simple configurations have lesser issues compare to the fully built 3rd party AV's. Consider the performance impact to the system, detection is already implied to have more than 90% above rates.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Next comparison... you need know what program offer What you want, what you need ?!
KIS is AV with Behavior Blocker and firewall
SpyShelter is HIPS + SRP + Keystroke Encryption (+ firewall if you pay addional) can also scan in cloud with copule AV engines.

Last edited by a moderator:

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Kaspersky on my system has a minus that the cloud protection shows itself as disconnected, and Kaspersky reputation services is unavailable half the time. (This is due to my ISP.)
And TAM hampers my productivity, so I don't use it.
In that case, you should go with WD and SpyShelter.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Next comparison... you need know what program offer What you want, what you need ?!
KIS is AV with Behavior Blocker and firewall
SpyShelter is HIPS + SRP + Keystroke Encryption (+ firewall if you pay addional) can also scan in cloud with copule AV engines.

I don't see anything wrong with this comparison. TS is likely to ask which of the two combos are suitable for his system.

Plus, there's really not necessary to get agitated and called that as "stiupid comparison" ... :confused:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
as it turns out, the question does not have to be either/or.
because when spyshelter is installed without keystroke hooks, it is compatible with Kaspersky.
So it is possible to run KIS+SpS+HMPA

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I am not a fan of installing too many products in a system so you either go WD/SS combo or Kaspersky.
Yes its possible to run all 3 but you will hamper eventually one thing or another.

If you previously had issues with Kaspersky, then your other combo will do just fine, depending on what you are after. I would rather just go WD instead of the combo but that is just me and my browsing habits boil down to online gaming.

Reactions: shmu26

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.