Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Security vendor Kaspersky has denied reports it helped the Russian government gain access to sensitive US systems, claiming it has "never" engaged with any government on cyber espionage.

Kaspersky was prompted to make the public statement following a Buzzfeed report that cited unnamed US intelligence officials expressing concern over the Russian infosec company's access to American government systems.

The report said intelligence agency officials wants the US government's General Services Administration (GSA) to work out how long Kaspersky security products have been approved for use by American government agencies.

The officials conceded they had not seen any evidence linking Kaspersky to the Kremlin, but said the concerns stemmed from broader worries about Russia's involvement in US affairs.

“As a private company, Kaspersky Lab has no ties to any government, and the company has never helped, nor will help, any government in the world with its cyber espionage efforts," the company said in response.

Kaspersky pointed out that over the past decade, it had discovered and made public several "Russian-speaking cyber espionage campaigns, which is more than any other US-based company".

The security vendor claimed its users have full control over the telemetry data shared by its products and can disable the feature at any time. Businesses and government can also elect to use a Kaspersky product on premise to ensure the data never leaves their facilities, the company said.

Kaspersky is certified by the US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), which has vouched for the company's encryption technologies being fully compliant with the American government's Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) 140-2.

Alongside winning direct contracts with US government agencies, Kaspersky licenses its technology for use through third-parties.

This makes it difficult to ascertain the extent of Kaspersky software in US systems, one of the officials quoted in the Buzzfeed report said.

Kaspersky products are still available on the GSA Advantage! website for agency procurement, along with those of US vendors Blue Coat Systems, Symantec, Juniper, and Trustwave.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
If intelligence officials are so concerned about Russia gaining access to US government systems then why exactly are Kaspersky's products or anything using Kaspersky's technology allowed to be used on those systems? I'm assuming there are strict policies on what is and isn't allowed to be installed on a governmental system and obviously someone approved Kaspersky.

I'm using Qihoo and if I was so concerned about the Chinese government having backdoor access to my system (surprise incoming) I'd uninstall their software.

Last edited:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
If intelligence officials are so concerned about Russia gaining access to US government systems then why exactly are Kaspersky's products or anything using Kaspersky's technology allowed to be used on those systems? I'm assuming there are strict policies on what is and isn't allowed to be installed on a governmental system and obviously someone approved Kaspersky.

I'm using Qihoo and if I was so concerned about the Chinese government having backdoor access to my system (surprise incoming) I'd uninstall their software.
Could be the reverse and they want something to blame on. Don't need to think hard about this so there's no need for meticulous planning here so it doesn't have to be evil that's causing this.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Could be the reverse and they want something to blame on. Don't need to think hard about this so there's no need for meticulous planning here so it doesn't have to be evil that's causing this.
The hospital I work at uses Fortinet. Should I email Buzzfeed about how I'm oh so concerned about the US government having backdoor access to my country's national healthcare data? :eek::rolleyes: (Kidding, of course. We already shared it all with Google.)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Until recently, few officials even knew that Kaspersky was a GSA (contractor)-approved product, let alone the scope of its use. One of the intelligence officials was visibly stunned when the longstanding contracts between Kaspersky and the State Department were recently pointed out. A lot more is described here.

More recent concerns, the Intelligence guys say, arise from the speculation that such contractors of NSA were responsible for the leak of the hacking tools to WikiLeaks.

No doubt, as @TerrakionSmash says, it could just be a blame game and hiding the truth of who's done what!

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Kaspersky has always had an issue gaining contracts in certain areas of the Federal Government, but not in others (they always complained about this). But as usual people that know the least would not accept warnings from those that know the most.

But considering how Security agencies work around the world (even if one leaves, there is always the "If you happen to find something interesting..."), and considering that Old Eugene graduated from the Institute of Cryptography, Telecommunications and Computer Science must give one pause.

So deny all you want Comrade Evgeny, in spite of what you may think we're not stupid.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
The hospital I work at uses Fortinet. Should I email Buzzfeed about how I'm oh so concerned about the US government having backdoor access to my country's national healthcare data? :eek::rolleyes: (Kidding, of course. We already shared it all with Google.)
Alphabet has competition with Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft and Apple at least. We might see good fights.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Arequire- The best thing your hospital can do is to fire the IT department. My cat can bypass Fortinet (and may have, but she does not tell me everything...).
Oh they couldn't do that. We need the IT department to help us implement another massively expensive, unresponsive (trust me it's bloody awful to use), glitchy and confusing record system once our current massively expensive, unresponsive and confusing record system is deemed inadequate by our national health service. :rolleyes:

Also I think you should probably install cameras in your home in case your cat is up to anything devious. What if your cat is the legendary hacker 4chan?! :eek:

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Oh Noes! Kaspersky Lab is a division of KGB, it was funded with the premisse to give URSS access to US systems.

SVR and Division S are nothing compared to the might "Directorate K".

:rolleyes:

Orion

Level 2
Verified
Apr 8, 2016
There were various articles that pointed fingers on kaspersky as a spy.We really don't know what is the truth here.

Its sad to see our own people and government turn on us.Trump fired FBI Director which is ridiculously.There is no genuine reason he was fired right after there were statements from the director that trump is under the investigation.

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”
― Mahatma Gandhi (Bapu)

Thanks,
True Indian

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.