shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Nevertheless, the only known exploits in recent years were targeted attacks. Nothing that affects the average user. In these days of worldwide pandemic, it seems academic to worry about a threat with an infinitesimally low percentage rate.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Brave dropped the ball on this one. Chromium 83 released two weeks ago and Brave's still sat on 81. Have to wonder if development is being held up by the pandemic or some other factor.

hmmm my Brave says v. 80.0.3987.132 is up to date??

Reactions: Protomartyr

MonSpyder9

Level 2
May 4, 2020
Oh damn, both Firefox and Brave failed this test? What will I use as a privacy respecting browser now? :oops: Although I never came across this situation so I'm not going to bail on Mozilla just yet ;)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Oh damn, both Firefox and Brave failed this test? What will I use as a privacy respecting browser now? :oops: Although I never came across this situation so I'm not going to bail on Mozilla just yet ;)
It's not really a privacy issue per se, because no one is taking your data or your browsing history or anything. It's more a matter of receiving unsolicited and potentially risky "gifts."

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Over the last year or so, Firefox had several security issues that were actively exploited in the wild. Chrome and Edge did not have.

I couldn't remember when I last saw an unwanted download of any kind in FF. (No clue if umatrix, adguard and/or any FF setting could have made a difference or if it was just luck).

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

I couldn't remember when I last saw an unwanted download of any kind in FF. (No clue if umatrix, adguard and/or any FF setting could have made a difference or if it was just luck).
That is normal for most users. Just like most users do not need to pay any insurance for some years. The problem is that no one knows how to choose these years, and pay only insurance a few times in life.:)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

I never either. But uMatrix/NoScript/uBlock Origin in medium mode surely plays a part stopping these since in the case of the testing done there, it was a third party script that caused the download which would've been blocked.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.