Web of Trust is **NOT** trustworthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes Minister

Thread author
Aug 17, 2014
I'd been noticing numerous issues with known good pages being blocked & Firefox being highjacked by something purporting to be 'chrome'. After running every possible malware scan countless times, I started disabling add-ons / extensions and finally discovered WOT was causing all my troubles.. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
Maybe just not compatible with one of ur other extensions or something on ur system. WOT is trustworthy. its working for millions of users without any problems.

Reactions: Kent and Venustus

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Hi Yes Minister (great title btw and great show too)

I've documented problems with rating poisoning on WOT before, providing evidence to suggest positive site reviews were being faked in large numbers. Haven't heard of any kind of adware linked to WOT. I would advise you to remove WOT from your browser and reinstall it from the official source here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/

Post back if the WOT download from the official link (above) still gives you problems, and if you can, I'd like to know the version of Firefox that you're using? Instructions here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/find-what-version-firefox-you-are-using

Cheers

Reactions: Venustus

Yes Minister

Thread author
Aug 17, 2014
Maybe just not compatible with one of ur other extensions or something on ur system. WOT is trustworthy. its working for millions of users without any problems.

Every other extension disabled and numerous system scans failed to find **ANYTHING** amiss, however disabling WOT immediately fixed all the problems. I'll certainly never use that crap again.

Yes Minister

Thread author
Aug 17, 2014
Hi Yes Minister (great title btw and great show too)

I've documented problems with rating poisoning on WOT before, providing evidence to suggest positive site reviews were being faked in large numbers. Haven't heard of any kind of adware linked to WOT. I would advise you to remove WOT from your browser and reinstall it from the official source here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/

Post back if the WOT download from the official link (above) still gives you problems, and if you can, I'd like to know the version of Firefox that you're using? Instructions here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/find-what-version-firefox-you-are-using

Cheers

Firefox is set to update automatically so its the latest there is (31.0). WOT was downloaded from official site some time ago however problems only became apparent a week or so back. Issues included 'chrome' being inserted in search string, numerous known good sites being blocked, and attempted redirection to sites flogging some scam or other. I'm very reluctant to mess with WOT again given the hours of hair-tearing-out frustration I endured. Adblock has yet to exhibit comparable weirdness.

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Every other extension disabled and numerous system scans failed to find **ANYTHING** amiss, however disabling WOT immediately fixed all the problems. I'll certainly never use that crap again.

I can't speak for the Firefox plugin however the Chrome version of Web of Trust is clean, free of adware and browser hijackers, and I've been using it for a good few months now. Not sure what was wrong with your WOT, I couldn't tell without looking through logs, and it's probably not worth doing seeing as you seem to be happy to be rid of it :)

Reactions: Kent and Venustus

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@Yes Minister, I could feel your frustration.:oops: I have tried WOT before, and on the recommendations from some of our helpful members and staff here yet, even so, I no longer use it. Although I choose not to include WOT among my handful of well liked desert island ext. add-ons, those (I think) I cannot live without,:rolleyes: I had experienced a trusted browser redirected from under me on more than a handful of occasions.:mad: Coincidentally it was also the only review I've ever written on the WOT site which had nothing to do with WOT.:p Even after I'd first disabled, then systematically uninstalled each of my extensions one by one, the Cyberfox x64 bit gecko based browser would still redirect to ww38.window.com:confused: leading me to suspect the personal settings folder (or some such) had somehow been tainted since even after I'd uninstalled the portable version from our flash drive the dreaded site would still:eek: rear it's unattractive head!:mad: Scans may not always rid us of such hijacking pests, but are worth upholding the effort. If now you find yourself happier without WOT then go forth with the blessings of we your peers.:):) ..and may your browsing doorway never be darkened by such horribly antagonistic internet gremlins ever again!:p;) :cool:

Last edited:

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
If you are using WoT people can track you so easy :D

I made a post a while back in which I found the web histories and browsing preferences of several users at MT using WOT and some other methods. If only it was more anonymous.

Yes Minister

Thread author
Aug 17, 2014
I can't speak for the Firefox plugin however the Chrome version of Web of Trust is clean, free of adware and browser hijackers, and I've been using it for a good few months now. Not sure what was wrong with your WOT, I couldn't tell without looking through logs, and it's probably not worth doing seeing as you seem to be happy to be rid of it :)

For what its worth, I'd been using WOT with Firefox in a Windows 7 laptop for 3 years before the recent problems became apparent so I don't know that 'several months' experience with Chrome is necessarily conclusive. I wasn't however aware of the security issues .... those alone constitute more than sufficient reason for me to avoid WOT in future. Facebook & similar have always been on my 'avoid at any price' list for exactly this reason.

Reactions: Kent and Cowpipe

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
For what its worth, I'd been using WOT with Firefox in a Windows 7 laptop for 3 years before the recent problems became apparent so I don't know that 'several months' experience with Chrome is necessarily conclusive. I wasn't however aware of the security issues .... those alone constitute more than sufficient reason for me to avoid WOT in future. Facebook & similar have always been on my 'avoid at any price' list for exactly this reason.
My favourite use for :p"Fa..(t)ebook" or maybe, Yes Minister, you'd like re-naming it "Hate-book",:rolleyes: is the chance it affords us winning one of our many priceless Giveaways!;):D
Giveaways are also the main reason I started my Twitter account which is (imho) easily more straight forward, that and Cowpipe making me laugh ...a lot!!:p:D
But what is your opinion on the WOT implemented in search engines, like these two I use:

Privatelee : https://privatelee.com/
DuckDuckGo (with WOT here) : https://duckduckgo.com/?kf=fw&kh=1&k1=-1&kl=us-en&kad=en_US
@Prorootect , I've not tried privatelee.com and shall bookmark it!
I use DuckDuckGo
I've used DuckDuckGo, but also like the hit responses on ixquick/or startpage.com
..and just noticed two more added to this list (thanks Prorootect!) while wondering, "Has there's been a thread yet which compares the many non-tracking search engines mentioned above & below?o_O".

Back on topic, WOT is not needed (is it?:confused:) in order to use any of the search engines mentioned.;) ..yet, are some more readily available with WOT?:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.