Web Speed Boost from Google DNS and OpenDNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
If you use Google's Public DNS server or OpenDNS as your DNS server, you may notice starting today that YouTube videos load faster and other web content comes in quicker. If you're using your ISP's DNS server as the default, now's a good time to try Google's or OpenDNS.

http://lifehacker.com/5835775/google-dns-and-opendns-users-are-getting-a-web-speed-boost

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I have no problems even watching videos and loading the web from youtube so I'm stick to default ISP DNS.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
DNS speeds vary between users and their country's. For me my ISP DNS does best.

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-DNS-Speed-Benchmark-Security-Test-Clouds-keep-it-clear?

D

Deleted member 178

MrXidus said:
DNS speeds vary between users and their country's. For me my ISP DNS does best.

exact, btw i use Norton DNS and i have a decent speed

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Comodo's new SecureDNS that is currently in beta also supports this new functionality.

I think people are misunderstanding what this does though...

If you use your ISP's DNS, you're fine. However, if you use any other DNS service, you are very likely not being sent to the servers nearest you for content delivery because external DNS services up to now haven't had the capability to send any localization data as part of the service. You have just been another faceless user of the DNS service.

How does this impact you? If you are downloading something, (or accessing any service that uses localized CDN severs, such as viewing YouTube videos) your external DNS service will more or less just direct you to a server in your part of the world. However, the server it directs you to may be hundreds of miles from you, regardless of the fact that there may be servers considerably closer to you. Since the DNS spec for external services doesn't account for the users location, it has no way of knowing it should send you to a nearer server.

Now however, it is able to say, "user is located here, this is the closest server"... This should allow your download to be quicker than a service that does not supply this location data, based on the fact that the server is closer. (Note that this doesn't take into account server load, so if the server closest to you is near maximum capacity, your download may actually be quicker from a more distant server)

This is the reason so many people have thought that DNS affects your throughput. (Which it doesn't...) They say, if I use my ISP's DNS, I get xxx download speed, but if I use OpenDNS, I only get xx! So it's obviously affecting my download speed! Yes, your ISP is able to supply location data, so the load balancing scripts can often send you to a closer server. (but as I mentioned, closer does not always mean quicker)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.