Status
Not open for further replies.

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Russian site Insecam, and others, were scoured for shots of women in private security camera feeds

2dc723e4-c75e-4cdb-a675-e5e7ae8a0e32-620x372.jpeg

Security cameras were compromised. Photograph: Reuters Photographer / Reuter/REUTERS
Commenters on the discussion site Reddit pored over compromised security camera feeds linked from the Russian website Insecam, screenshotting and sharing pictures of naked or half-dressed women.

The website, which has been live since September, is just the latest of a string of sites which exploit knowledge of default passwords to access supposedly private security camera feeds.

When a link to Insecam was first posted on the social news site, alongside links to similar sites, Redditors initially responded that the concept was “just creepy”. One asked whether the site was even legal (it is not, according to the information commissioner’s office), and another said that on browsing through, they saw a lot of sleeping children, and “got creeped out”.

But soon enough, other Redditors started posting screenshots and links to security cameras which were pointing at women unaware they were broadcasting themselves on the internet.

“I found very nice apartment in Italy”, says one user, linking to a woman vacuuming in a revealing outfit. A few minutes later, another comments “she’s making the bed right now”.

Other users post links to screenshots and feeds of women masturbating and getting undressed, as well as footage of trans sex workers in Thailand.

“Is it more or less creepy that I prefer the old lady who just knits,” a user asks.

The information commissioner, Christopher Graham, has condemned Insecam, and said that he wants “the Russians to take this down straight away … We now want to take very prompt action working with the Federal Trade Commission in the States to get this thing closed down.”

But the FTC might have more pressing matters domestically, before it goes after Insecam: At least one similar website, discovered by the Guardian, is hosted in Phoenix, Arizona.

Graham emphasised that, in the short term, it’s the camera operators who can help most. “The more important thing is to get the message out to consumers to take those security measures. If you don’t need remote access to a webcam then switch off that function altogether,” he said.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
It's terrible that you are not safe anywhere - considering I'm using Kaspersky (which is Russian) and it offers webcam protection. I wonder sometimes, especially reading this how secure Kaspersky is.

Reactions: frogboy

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
It is a shocking thing this. I just disable my webcam via device manager.

Reactions: Kent

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
If I disable mine via device manager will that stop this kinda thing? I have tried Kaspersky's webcam protection and it seems to work, but malware etc., is becoming so advanced, and with the majority of it coming from Russia it makes you wonder....

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
When my webcam starts, one bright blue light beside the webcam also turns on. That way I know when it's on and when it's off. Every laptop should have this :).

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
But sometimes you just do not notice it so better to disable it as i have never used it anyway. :)

Reactions: Anupam

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
But sometimes you just do not notice it so better to disable it as i have never used it anyway. :)
I do lots of Skype calling with my abroad friends. So I can't disable it :p. Activating it each time is tough. But anyway I have good amount of protection. So hopefully even f someone is interested, She won't be able to see my handsome face ( or some other body parts ) through webcam :p

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
When my webcam starts, one bright blue light beside the webcam also turns on. That way I know when it's on and when it's off. Every laptop should have this :).

This will not work against very advanced attackers. From the snowden leaks we know that the NSA has devised tools which allows webcam captures without letting the user know it is even switched on.

If I disable mine via device manager will that stop this kinda thing? I have tried Kaspersky's webcam protection and it seems to work, but malware etc., is becoming so advanced, and with the majority of it coming from Russia it makes you wonder....

The effectiveness of Kaspersky would depend on your webcam manufacturer. The webcam protection works by interfacing with windows webcam driver, so if the webcam you used uses its own custom driver, the protection will not work. As far as I know, if your webcam manufacturer is not Microsoft or Logitech, Kaspersky provides only limited protection.

Reactions: BoraMurdar

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
FBI knows a way for a years to hack into your PC to access your webcam and other information without you even knowing, providing of course the malicious software is loaded onto the target PC. They have been able to do so without triggering the light that lets users know it is recording.
So turning off your webcam will not work :D
Solution : Buy a cover for webcam's (it costs ~2$)

Reactions: Anupam

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
FBI knows a way for a years to hack into your PC to access your webcam and other information without you even knowing, providing of course the malicious software is loaded onto the target PC. They have been able to do so without triggering the light that lets users know it is recording.
So turning off your webcam will not work :D
Solution : Buy a cover for webcam's (it costs ~2$)

LOL .. Nice solution :p But why wate 2$ :p. Use BLACK TAPE :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.