Advice Request Webroot + NoVirusThanks ExeRadarPro, What do you think?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Wings

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
A friend gave me a license for Webroot 9.0.21.18.

I'm impressed with how light it is, but I don't really know if it's a worthwhile product and I would like to know your opinion about this combo.

I've seen that it has a Sandbox module, but I have no idea about the quality of it.

I would install it on an i5 2320 with Windows 10 x64 and 8Gb RAM. My NVTERP version is 4.0 beta (build 28)

Thank you for your comments :)

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Probably a good combo. You won't need sandbox with ERP. You will only by manually sandboxing untrusted apps, which you shouldn't be running in the first place. If some apps manages to execute a payload or similar, ERP will catch it. I would only use ERP but you can add Webroot for signatures and web filtering as mentioned by @Sunshine-boy

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Good combo for knowledgeable users. Don't relay on Webroot's sandbox, you will have a hard time even to get something running in it. It's most strengths are in Identity Protection/Web protection/being a cloud AV.

I used to use Webroot + VoodooShield for many months and I didn't run into any issues. For other users using your PC, Webroot + OSArmor would be more simplified solution, if you are only one and want to be in control of every process, then ERP is way to go. Webroot + ReHIPS is also interesting combo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good combo for knowledgeable users. Don't relay on Webroot's sandbox, you will have a hard time even to get something running in it. It's most strengths are in Identity Protection/Web protection/being a cloud AV.

People can get OK protection out of Webroot, but unfortunately the documentation does not explain how they should use it with unknown files.

For example, they should run unknown stuff in the sandbox or manually configure monitoring of the file so it can be rolled back. However, if they are unlucky and the file turns out to be certain types of malware, then no rollback is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you are confident with the EXERadar Pro, then I don't see why Webroot would be a problem. Play around with both and see how you like it, otherwise you can replace it with Kaspersky (as stated on your Profile) or switch to default WDA. Everything is user choice.

It's not listed by Webroot what type of malware can be rolled back, although they claim "always and every infection" which is a misleading info, but good marketing to attract users.

I tried for nearly 4 years to get it fixed. The fanbois said I was a liar despite me producing ample evidence. Development never replied. Actually, I know for a fact that development never even investigated it. The person to whom I made reports simply blacklisted the malware that I supplied.

D

Deleted member 178

1- if you have a SSD and used to try many unknown software, stay away, it will keep writing datas and eating space, and we all know that is not good for a SSD.
2- the sandbox is a restriction-based sandbox, means apps are not virtualized like Sandboxie or Comodo's sandbox.

Alexhousek

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2017
I've been using Webroot for almost 4 years and I love it. I've never been infected. However, I also use Sandboxie for all my web browsing. In addition, over the past 6=9 months I've also added VoodooShield. I think the three together is a great combination and very light on resources.

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
i had webroot for about a month. i got a malware that took over my firefox and broke my internet connection. i only went to legitimate sites. i also used adguard.

Reactions: Black Wings

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I've been using WSA for about 3 years because I get it free from my bank and it's much lighter on my low-end laptop than MSE. I added OSA 1.4 a few months ago and have found the combo to be very lightweight. I have my doubts about the effectiveness of WSA, but I'm a careful Internet user who hasn't run into unexpected ;) malware in about 10 years. (I don't feel confident enough to try ERP yet.)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
ERP is strong. It is a reliable default/deny solution. You can use any AV with it, even a weak one. It doesn't matter so much, because ERP is carrying the weight.
Therefore, Webroot is a good combo with ERP, because Webroot is light.
Once you have default/deny, the main purpose of an AV is to not bother you too much. :)

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
It's funny so many accidents I see about WRSA. I have used it for many years now, and it has kept my computer clean, although I browse shady places now and then (also dark web). My bank also provide Webroot to all clients that wanna make online transactions. They would probably use another brand if it was such a bad antivirus.(y)

Reactions: Black Wings

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
My bank also provide Webroot to all clients that wanna make online transactions. They would probably use another brand if it was such a bad antivirus.(y)
People say its browser/web protection is pretty decent, but don't count on it to protect your computer from viruses. Banks have business reasons for pushing products, your PC security is not their top priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.