Webroot or Kaspersky.....Trying to decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tominator

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 16, 2015
I like Kaspersky's protection but not only is webroot light they seem to constantly improve it

I'm using Win 10 right now if that helps...any suggestions appreciated

aseu2k15

Level 1
Verified
Nov 26, 2015
If you looking for better protection then go for kaspersky. But if you wanted lightweight one, then webroot is the winner (kaspersky is heavier). Webroot's protection also good, even not as good as kaspersky.

Its depend to your need and your system resource.

I suggest you to go to "War Room" subforum, you can find much info about Apps battle (including VS's battle) nor go to Kaspersky and Webroot subforum to find pros and cons both of products. So you can decide which is meet your need and the best fit for your system.

Reactions: bunchuu and frogboy

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
better protection=Kaspersky
better speed=Webroot
which one u need?
A valid question from @omidomi .
My question is you have an old pc or a new one?
If your pc is old go with Webroot but if you have a new one go with Kaspersky.
Kasprsky has improved a lot in matter of performance and the new version isn't that heavy on system resources.

Tominator

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 16, 2015
I Have an Acer Desktop a few years old....uses an amd quad core 2.2 ghz apu and 500 gb hard drive

4gb ram

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Give a try to both of them to see which is lighter on your system.
As i said before Kaspersky's new version is quite light on system.
But in the end i think you will find Webroot to be lighter.

Reactions: frogboy

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
  • Signature
Webroot = Signature depends on cloud mean it require active internet connection. In other word, as long you have active internet connection you will be on the latest Webroot protection, but if you don't have active internet connection Webroot will be dummy like Qihoo 360.

Kaspersky = Require internet connection to download signature onto your system, but it doesn't require active internet connection to protect you because signature is on your hard drive mean it can protect you offline as well.
  • User interface
Kaspersky have my vote here when it come to neat and nice user interface, while Webroot is not that good even horrible compare to Bitdefender 2016 user interface.

• System impacts
Well we all knows that Webroot have less system impacts because all signature is store on the cloud instead on hard drive and RAM like Kaspersky does.

• Zero day protections
Hand down Kaspersky zero day protections. Webroot is decent enough but not as good as Bitdefender or Kaspersky. Also, Kaspersky have roll back feature which allows it to revert malware system changes.

So my choice is if you have older system such as Intel Pentium 2, 3GB RAM and 250GB HDD then Webroot will play nice on your system. But if you have decent system with 4th gen i5 cpu, 6GB RAM or more, and 500GB HDD, then Kaspersky have my vote here.

Tominator

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 16, 2015
Hi

I had wsa when it first came out because it kept deleting good programs i got a refund..the only reason i thought of webroot is because the are supposedly constantly improving it....yeah my cpu is quad core

i did try kaspersky 2016 is but everytime i would try safepay i got a weird eoor that would crash the computer...it said something like greater or less than ..something like that and id have to restart computer manually

Reactions: tonibalas
D

Deleted member 178

• Signature
Webroot = Signature depends on cloud mean it require active internet connection. In other word, as long you have active internet connection you will be on the latest Webroot protection, but if you don't have active internet connection Webroot will be dummy like Qihoo 360.

Webroot has offline signature database, it is cached. it is true that webroot is less efficient while offline, but in those days who are offline...especially before a scan when the latest signature database must be downloaded.

Your main protection while disconnected from the internet is coming from SecureAnywhere's behavioral shields/detections and local heuristics.

There are a very limited amount of locally held definition signatures for certain critical items that don't require reaching the cloud. These are mainly for rare file infectors. Anything that is known as good from prior scans (while previously connected to the internet) will still be known as good if they have not changed when performing scans offline, which explains the speed of the scan.

Also, if a program or process was being monitored before going offline, it will continue to be monitored and these processes and their behavior will still be journaled. This journaling allows SecureAnywhere to keep an eye on possibly malicious programs or processes it was unsure about, and if they try to execute or end up being an actual threat, the damage done can be reverted.

• User interface
Kaspersky have my vote here when it come to neat and nice user interface, while Webroot is not that good even horrible compare to Bitdefender 2016 user interface.

UI doens't matter much
  • System impacts
Well we all knows that Webroot have less system impacts because all signature is store on the cloud on hard drive and RAM like Kaspersky does.

So does webroot. on HDD too.

• Zero day protections
Hand down Kaspersky zero day protections. Webroot is decent enough but not as good as Bitdefender or Kaspersky. Also, Kaspersky have roll back feature which allows it to revert malware system changes.

Webroot was the first to do it...

Guys do some research before saying inaccurate facts.

Overall Kaspersky has stronger prevention modules than Webroot, but webroot many prevention features are still very good for a far lighter resources usage.
Note than Webroot is maybe a bit more expensive than Kasperky.

All depend what you look first. I'm a long time user of Webroot (since their first beta) and i never had any issues with it; not saying than webroot can be used a companion AV where Kaspersky can't.

Last edited by a moderator:

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Webroot has offline signature database, it is cached. it is true that webroot is less efficient while offline, but in those days who are offline...especially before a scan when the latest signature database must be downloaded.

UI doens't matter much

So does webroot. on HDD too.

Webroot was the first to do it...

Guys do some research before saying inaccurate facts.

Overall Kaspersky has stronger prevention modules than Webroot, but webroot many prevention features are still very good for a far lighter resources usage.
Note than Webroot is maybe a bit more expensive than Kasperky.

All depend what you look first. I'm a long time user of Webroot (since their first beta) and i never had any issues with it; not saying than webroot can be used a companion AV where Kaspersky can't.

UI is matter to me because i rather buy a product with nice and attractive user interface and less confusion than one with mediocre user interface, and easily get loss in the middle of the road.

I still consider Webroot lighter than Kaspersky because Webroot is cloud AV, but it does impact system a little bit when it scanning.

Webroot can be use as a companion antivirus, although i never try it and never recommend it since that is for paranoid people and i'm not one of those people. But for daily basic i would get primary av + Malwarebytes Anti Malware or heck just primary av along. Also, not all companion antivirus are compatible because antivirus vendor keeps changing things a lot that can easily break their " compatible" easily. For instance, Emsisoft Internet Security are not longer compatible with Malwarebytes Anti Malware at the moment because MBAM use a WFP driver to capture network traffic for their website blocking, and that driver could cause problems with the WFP driver used by Emsisoft Internet Security. EAM Compatibility with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Emsisoft Anti-Malware

D

Deleted member 178

UI is matter to me because i rather buy a product with nice and attractive user interface and less confusion than one with mediocre user interface, and easily get loss in the middle of the road.

i consider Webroot' Ui clear enough, not the best i admit.

I still consider Webroot lighter than Kaspersky because Webroot is cloud AV, but it does impact system a little bit when it scanning.

really!? i am on a 3-4 year old machine , running half a dozen of security apps simultaneously and Webrot doesn't impact my system at all, even while scanning. Cpu barely goes above 20% and Ram usage is insignificant.

Webroot can be use as a companion antivirus, although i never try it and never recommend it since that is for paranoid people

indeed

not all companion antivirus are compatible because antivirus vendor keeps changing things a lot that can easily break their " compatible" easily.

WSA primary motto is its compatibility with other AVs when they designed it , so i don't worry for that.

For instance, Emsisoft Internet Security are not longer compatible with Malwarebytes Anti Malware at the moment because MBAM use a WFP driver to capture network traffic for their website blocking, and that driver could cause problems with the WFP driver used by Emsisoft Internet Security. EAM Compatibility with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Emsisoft Anti-Malware

in the case of Emsisoft , it was because EAM was designed as an anti-malware (opposed to be an AV , at that time, the difference mattered) ; since they decided to become a full-fledge AV, since v7 or 8 if i recall well, they gradually lost their "companion" principle; especially since EIS was created.
Also they focus now to be a solution for the masses (when they decided to discontinue Online Armor), so they don't fit in my books anymore, this is one reason why i dont use emsisoft products anymore even if i have 5 years left in my EAM license...

Reactions: omidomi

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
really!? i am on a 3-4 year old machine , running half a dozen of security apps simultaneously and Webrot doesn't impact my system at all, even while scanning. Cpu barely goes above 20% and Ram usage is insignificant.

I know the fact that antivirus will impact system a little or not really noticeable when it scanning because it access your files on your hard drive, load the signatures into the RAM, and use little amount of CPU to process the files or something have to do with the CPU as well which i forgot what it is for. But for Webroot it a different cases since its signature is on the cloud, so processing files onto the cloud will be ~2% system impact compare to antivirus require signatures load into the RAM.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Webroot work with Emsisoft well, Kaspersky and Qihoo too :D
All Avs Work well with Emsisoft. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.