Webroot Secure Anywhere Antivirus 9.0.5.8

Product name
Webroot Secure Anywhere Antivirus 9.0.5.8 aka Prevx
Pros
  • -Installer about 800 KB.
    -Extremely light on system (37 MB Ram Private Bytes and 6 MB Ram Working Set).
    -Install and uninstall without problems.
    -Cloud based (it creates a checksum of the original file and send it immediately to Webroot servers).
    -In case of unknown threats it considers the file suspicious and begins to record the activities (in sandbox environment) in particular that makes changes to the file system.
    -WSA integrates a firewall but it only works at the application level: the analysis of the network traffic is entrusted to Windows firewall and in my opinion it does a great job.
    -AntiPhishing Filter responsive (too much!)
    -Identity protection: protects your browsing sessions and identity from malware and threats. Ensures the protection of personal data (username, password, security codes, account numbers and credit cards) in home banking and online purchases.
    -Anti-malware tools: restore some functions of the operating system if compromised by malware.
    -Process Monitor.
    -SafeStart Sandbox: allows you to run suspects executables in sandbox, deciding which give the file permissions before starting it, interesting but...
    -All the most important security settings enabled by default.
    -Deep scan (default) and quick removal.
    -Removal Script.
    -Good malware detection and ransomware protection.
    -Proactive security detect, block and remove malware that attempt to utilize webcams.
CONS
-Need to create an account to access the information and protection to cloud-based features, annoying in my opinion.
-Antispam and Parental Control absent (personally it's not important).
-Suspicious files often do not work in SafeStart because they don't have enough privileges (many malware do not work in SafeStart)
-AntiPhishing often generate many false positives but it's a common problem in other products.
-Requires internet connection to work in full mode.
-Zero-day protection is not verifiable from my side (Infrared engine).
-A few advanced security settings.
-PUP and adware detection not impressive in my previous tests.
BOTTOM LINE
Among the antivirus that I tested Webroot SecureAnywhere surely it's one of the best, with a minimum of resources and a good scanning speed.
Some false positives but good malware detection and Webroot Infrared Engine for zero-day detection (Webroot source):

Webroot ™ Provides Advanced Infrared Detection of Zero-Day Malware
Webroot has introduced a powerful new threat detection engine called Infrared. Utilizing data from the Webroot® Intelligence Network™ (WIN™) cloud security service, Webroot Infrared analyzes unknown files by correlating their behavior and origin, and then makes an assessment of the associated risk before the file is allowed to run. The Webroot Infrared engine also customizes protection to the individual device based on a combined analysis of the operating system, applications, and prior threats which have been observed.
L

LabZero

Thread author
I use WSA for a long time on my LabZero and I thought of doing this review.

I tested WSA with a malware pack from Malware Hub (thanks @Kumaran) with 50 samples.
http://malwaretips.com/threads/50-mixed-malware-samples-2015-09-25.51331/

43/50 detected

Cattura.PNG

Note: this is only indicative detection test. To have a mathematically reliable statistics would take thousands of malware.

Thanks everyone and sorry for mistakes :)

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.