Battle Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus OR Zemana AntiMalware Premium?

N

NullByte

Why I want to compare: I am running Windows 10 x64, with ReHips and HitmanPro.Alert.
You should keep ReHIPS and HitmanPro, no need for other software. If you really wanna add more (I don't know why you would do that since you have HP.A), use Zemana.

H

hjlbx

Do you know that if you run ReHIPS, then another security soft's protections might not function inside the ReHIPS isolated environment - but instead only in the real user profile (real desktop) ?

Easy test -- download known malware to isolated environment, if it is not detected or blocked by other security soft inside the isolated environment then it doesn't function.

You only need other security softs with ReHIPS if you are actively using the real desktop to download and open files. If that is the case, then that defeats the whole purpose of using ReHIPS in the first place. Run unknown\untrusted files inside the isolated environment and it is the isolated environment that will be infected - and not your system. Same principle applies to Sandboxie, Shadow Defender, HDS Rx products, etc.

Of the two that you mention, Webroot has the benefit of adding some network protections plus it is incredibly light. But it isn't needed for a home system; it is needed if you use public wifi. It's privacy protections do not work inside the isolated environment - but aren't needed any way - since if you use ReHIPS as recommended you have launched applications in completely different isolated environments - thereby disallowing any inter-program tampering to include keylogging\data theft. Likewise, Webroot isn't going to rollback anything executed inside the ReHIPS isolated environment.

I haven't tested Zemana with ReHIPS. So I can't comment on how the combo works.

Exploit protection is overkill if you keep your currently installed softs up-to-date. I suppose if you use the most widely exploited softs - like java, flash, etc - then it does add a just-in-case layer of protection - that you should be aware might or might not prevent a true zero-day.

Before I am accused of being off-topic and de-railing your comparison thread:

Webroot
  • Incredibly light
  • Proven to work well as a separate protection for real desktop along-side ReHIPS

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Do you know that if you run ReHIPS, then another security soft's protections might not function inside the ReHIPS isolated environment - but instead only in the real user profile (real desktop) ?

Easy test -- download known malware to isolated environment, if it is not detected or blocked by other security soft inside the isolated environment then it doesn't function.

You only need other security softs with ReHIPS if you are actively using the real desktop to download and open files. If that is the case, then that defeats the whole purpose of using ReHIPS in the first place. Run unknown\untrusted files inside the isolated environment and it is the isolated environment that will be infected - and not your system. Same principle applies to Sandboxie, Shadow Defender, HDS Rx products, etc.

Of the two that you mention, Webroot has the benefit of adding some network protections plus it is incredibly light. But it isn't needed for a home system; it is needed if you use public wifi. It's privacy protections do not work inside the isolated environment - but aren't needed any way - since if you use ReHIPS as recommended you have launched applications in completely different isolated environments - thereby disallowing any inter-program tampering to include keylogging\data theft. Likewise, Webroot isn't going to rollback anything executed inside the ReHIPS isolated environment.

Exploit protection is overkill if you keep your currently installed softs up-to-date. I suppose if you use the most widely exploited softs - like java, flash, etc - then it does add a just-in-case layer of protection - that you should be aware might or might not prevent a true zero-day.

Webroot
  • Incredibly light
  • Proven to work well as a separate protection for real desktop along-side ReHIPS
I don't run Chrome in the ReHips isolated environment, because it is just too inconvenient, like when attaching files to a gmail message, for instance. So I am relying primarily on the HIPS aspect of ReHips, rather than on the sandbox.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
For me, if you really want a more complete protection, pick Webroot. ZAM Premium is specialized as a companion anti-malware (so is Webroot). It lacks components of what AVs have.

Why not use them both since you have license of both of them? :D

I use ZAM Premium along with ReHIPS. I tried downloading an eicar test file through sandboxed Chrome, and ZAM detected the file.

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Why not use them both since you have license of both of them? :D

I agree. You can use both. Webroot as your Main AV and Zemana as your Companion AV (or On-Demand Scanner). I personally used Webroot a couple of years ago and it is great. It's ultra-light on resources you will never notice it's there. It also has more protection features like real-time anti-phising and identity theft protection. Zemana is great too but it is not as complete as Webroot.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

Webroot
  • Incredibly light
this was an enlightening post, thanks!

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I agree. You can use both. Webroot as your Main AV and Zemana as your Companion AV (or On-Demand Scanner). I personally used Webroot a couple of years ago and it is great. It's ultra-light on resources you will never notice it's there. It also has more protection features like real-time anti-phising and identity theft protection. Zemana is great too but it is not as complete as Webroot.
I might just give that a try. At a certain point, too many security softs starts to slow down the computer. But this combo might work.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.