Webroot SecureAnywhere CE 22.2 v's 1000 sample .exe test

GonzitoVir

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
199
Sure, maybe PCMag is not a good source of credibility, but to be fair, the report also says:

To get a look at protection against the latest threats, I start with a feed of URLs that researchers at MRG-Effitas recently found to be hosting malware. Typically, these are no more than a couple days old. I launch each and note whether the antivirus prevents browser access to the dangerous URL, eliminates the file upon download, or completely fails to notice the malware download.

Of more than 100 validated dangerous URLs, Webroot blocked 85% in the browser and wiped out the malware payload of another 11%, for a total of 96% protection.
 

Nevi

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
431
Webroot and it's good old gigabytes of WRData folder xD

~LDogg
I have heard about that one many times, but have never seen it in those 10 years I used Webroot. The highest I have had in WRData was around 30 MB. Luckily there are so many AVs on the marked, that people can use something they feel are good.
I think the chance for it to happen, is bigger if people download a lot of new stuff from the internet.
 

Sorrento

Level 4
Dec 7, 2021
190
I think you are right, the main issue was uncommon or updated programs, I was quite a proponent of WR some years ago, it was later I found it's weak points & disagreeing with support in any way would have you keelhauled as a minimum punishment - I trusted WR in the beginning as I was an ex Prevx user.
 

Muddy7

Level 1
Jun 27, 2014
34
Hi, @kC77

Webroot SecurityAnywhere uses the option "Enable enhanced heuristics based on behavior, origin, age, and popularity of files". Did you use it in your test?
i dont recall exactly what the settings were, except at default, is that a default setting?
No it's not the default setting
That's funny. For years, I have deliberately kept Webroot on default settings, and "Enable enhanced heuristics based on behavior, origin, age, and popularity of files" is enabled in my heuristics settings. And has been as long as I remember if I'm not mistaken.
 

roger_m

Level 37
Verified
Top poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
2,603
That's funny. For years, I have deliberately kept Webroot on default settings, and "Enable enhanced heuristics based on behavior, origin, age, and popularity of files" is enabled in my heuristics settings. And has been as long as I remember if I'm not mistaken.
It's enabled for me too. The only change I've made is to disable PUP detection.