Webroot vs Windows Defender - MRG Test June 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Read the report very carefully and judge for yourself.

This is first test to be seen for Webroot in a very long time.

"MRG Effitas was commissioned by Webroot to conduct a comparative assessment. Webroot commissioned MRG Effitas for a comparative analysis of its Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus product, and Microsoft Defender."

https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Webroot_vs_Microsoft_report.pdf

Take note of where journaling and rollback does not\cannot revert system; Webroot marketing materials state this protection will revert system "perfectly."

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Lol this must be a joke. A paid AV made a request to be compared to the default AV Windows ship. So let's forget this and move on. Those graphs, those graphs.....They sure show an accurate representation of difference or maybe they don't. I am out, MRG became the paid reviewer that shows whatever you want them to show. First Zemana and now this. They have 0 credibility in my books.
Btw i am not saying they fake results but that they make the test and select contesters in a way that the product that paid for the review will show good. Which for me it's as bad as faking results.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
I sometimes wonder whom to trust, i surely don't trust MRG but comparing WSA to Windows Defender..

"The purpose of this report is to run a comprehensive comparative assessment of two home internet security products: Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus and Microsoft Defender."

I never knew MD was home internet security :D

Take note of where journaling and rollback does not\cannot revert system; Webroot marketing materials state this protection will revert system "perfectly."
Then why would Webroot make a commission to MRG Effitas to make this comparative analysis if they weren't perfectly sure that journaling/rollback does work as intended. I don't know how i feel reading this report. WSA doesn't even look good (if this is a paid test by webroot). I guess i will just move on.. thanks for share @hjlbx

EDIT: there is also a comparative analysis of Webroot SecureAnywhere Business Endpoint Protection and ESET Endpoint Security in June 2016 https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Webroot_vs_ESET_report.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Shran

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
"The following components have been turned off on both configurations:
Smartscreen URL filtering
Smartscreen download filtering
SmartScreen application start filtering
UAC."

*MRG hits blunt rolled from all the cash Webroot paid them*
"Hey, let's turn off most of the integral parts of the OS's built in security which is designed to help & makes WD and buit in OS security much more powerful, then call it a fair & objective test."

Shran

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Of course one product will perform better if you disable companion components of the competitor.
WD is designed to work with the other hardening components of the OS, of course it isn't a full suite like Webroot when you remove the built in OS measures that it relies on, its like shooting WD in the foot then testing it in an athletic competition.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Of course one product will perform better if you disable companion components of the competitor.

MRG had to disable SmartScreen to make Webroot and Windows Defender as equivalent as possible.

SmartScreen will block unsigned\unknown file whereas Webroot will default-allow unsigned\unknown file.

MRG tried to compare apples-to-apples, but it isn't ideal because of different functionality and settings.

Shran

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
MRG had to disable SmartScreen to make Webroot and Windows Defender as equivalent as possible.

SmartScreen will block unsigned\unknown file whereas Webroot will default-allow unsigned\unknown file.

MRG tried to compare apples-to-apples, but it isn't ideal because of different functionality and settings.

Fair point, but disabling the other components was really necessary? I still don't feel like it was a fair test, because SmartScreen being disabled drastically reduces WD capabilities, not just against unsigned but against everything.

Besides, who said you can't use SmartScreen WITH Webroot? Could have left it on for both tests... in the Webroot x ESET one it was on for both...

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Actually, it is one of the most fair tests I have seen from MRG yet for a vendor commissioned test.

However, comparing WSA to Windows Defender is kinda of a joke. Windows Defender is the bare minimum for baseline protection -- so Webroot better do a WHOLE lot better than WD - which it doesn't.

If Webroot started handily beating Kaspersky or Bitdefender at every single AV lab and all other HIPS\firewall\physical system protection tests - it might draw my interest.

The only real advantage to Webroot is that is provides a decent protection model in a tiny, very light package.

Paid antivirus and internet security softs are not a good value - at least not for security soft geeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shran

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
However, comparing WSA to Windows Defender is kinda of a joke. Windows Defender is the bare minimum for baseline protection -- so Webroot better do a WHOLE lot better than WD - which it doesn't.

If Webroot started handily beating Kaspersky or Bitdefender at every single AV lab and all other HIPS\firewall\physical system protection tests - it might draw my interest.

You'll get no argument from me there :). & no rudeness or disrespect intended earlier (when I said I don't find it a fair test)

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
"The following components have been turned off on both configurations:
Smartscreen URL filtering
Smartscreen download filtering
SmartScreen application start filtering
UAC."

*MRG hits blunt rolled from all the cash Webroot paid them*
"Hey, let's turn off most of the integral parts of the OS's built in security which is designed to help & makes WD and buit in OS security much more powerful, then call it a fair & objective test."

However they did enabled it on one test.
"For the phishing test, Smartscreen URL filtering has been turned on in the Microsoft Defender configuration."

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I used to beta test for WebRoot about a year and a half ago.
I don't know whats happening to WebRoot, but it was not this
bad before. They seem desperate for positive affirmation.
If this is the case jump into the water with the big boys and
get tested by good certified labs. With this type of program
and its popularity, the fact that they still hide the way they do
for me is a big warning sign. It doesn't take a genios to see
somethings not quite right.
PeAcE

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
To me this whole thing of comparing antivirus to Microsoft is senseless. If Microsoft wanted to, they could bury these other antivirus companies . Nobody knows Windows 10 better than them. Microsoft I believe is in a no win situation, get too good the other companies start crying foul, at the other end of the spectrum everyone says your product sucks. But I believe Microsoft is starting to really improve their security with these new updates, so other antivirus companies, Beware!

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Another thing that hampers WSA development and improvement is that malware testing is not allowed on the Webroot community forum - not even in the closed sections for testers.

Instead, reports have to be submitted to support and that is just a huge, massive rigmarole\hassle that never accomplishes a single thing.

WSA itself is a decent AV for its tiny size, but everything else is a real mess...

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
What I can't believe is TripleHelix and a few others have quite a few in there believing that WSA is a gift from Heaven, and I'm sorry I'm with you I don't think it's very good at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.