Websites & software constantly & continually reject valid passwords--why?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I am FED UP! I keep my passwords in a LastPass vault. I don't enter them manually. I copy and paste. Human error by me is not the problem! The problem is website and application error.

My vault says that I had to change my support.mozilla.com password in 2014. I tried to post last night. I got a password error message, so I jumped through the hoops to set a new password. The website accepted my new password. And then the very next moment when I tried to use it to log in, they give me another password error! It looks like I will have to create a new account and hope the same perversity doesn't follow me to it.

My ability to use LastPass on my default browser is limited, so I decided to bring back Sticky Password. When I did, I was shorn of my premium status, and it rejected the Master Password I had stored in two places. I am waiting for their help to set a new password.

Why can't these folks do better?

Computer: DELL Dimension 2400
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2658 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Drive: WL120GPA872, 117.2 GB, E-IDE (ATA-7)
Drive: WDC WD2500JB-57GVC0, 244.2 GB, E-IDE (ATA-6)
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
Antivirus: Panda Antivirus Pro 17.0.1
Firewall: Panda Antivirus Pro 17.0.1
Default Browser: Maxthon 4.4.8.1000
Ad Blocker: Ad Muncher

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Is there something in Advanced Options to avoid?

I make them 20 characters long if the website or application permits, and I use all character types.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Support.mozilla.com just has me going in circles. I click on the link for lost password. I get the email. I click on it. On the page opened up I put a new generated password. The website accepts it, and then as soon as I try to log in with it, they hit me with another error message.
I'll try making a new account, but will that help?

Reactions: given

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
have you tried logging in with these option
same computer with different browser
different computer with same browser
different computer with different browser

Thanks, Ravi. I have just one computer to work with now. I've wanted to change that, but lots of other things have gotten in the way. I'm really crunched on resources, and lately the only browser that has run well for me on this old Dell is Maxthon. I've been looking into Comodo IceDragon as a second browser, and that may pan out, but I've hit a roadblock with the latest update refusing to run on my system. Chrome browsers run very, very heavy on my computer.

This a bit weird as I use LastPass and it works fine here in Cyberfox and a couple of Crome based browsers. Would like to know what is happening. :eek::)

I think the Maxthon extension is not a real high priority for LastPass. They seldom update it. Maxthon has some deficiencies, but in many ways it's an excellent light, fast browser for an old system, and I think I'll keep using it even when I get on a fast new system.
However, lately I have also had troubles with LastPass. That could relate to the fact that Firefox is turning into a piece of crap on my system. It locks up where I can't switch tabs, its non-responsive script orgies are endless, it gives me defective Session manager menus.

I do not know if it will help in anyway .may I ask you to run farber recovery scan or getsysteminfo from Kaspersky

I'll keep that in mind. I'm trying to get on Mozilla Support because last night after giving me weeks of good performance, Thunderbird melted down on me. It scrolls, but it responds to no command it receives from my mouse, from clicking or context menu, whatever. Maxthon is responding normally to my mouse, and so did Outlook Express when I brought it back up.

onreact

Level 1
Verified
May 3, 2017
I had a similar issue with a WordPress blog recently. I had to reset my password every day as the old one didn't work anymore.

That was really annoying. I have no idea though what went wrong. Other WordPress blogs (I write for more than one) didn't have the issue.

I guess it's some "advanced" security mechanism that doesn't recognize your system/browser and thus wants you to use a new password.

onreact

Level 1
Verified
May 3, 2017
@onreact if you were able to find any workable solution,please share with us.you know it is very annoying situation

Sorry, I haven't found a solution. I could log in for a day or I guess as long as the sessions lasted and had to reset next time for like a week. Then the post was finally ready. Hallelujah!

I guess the computer changed from session to session and didn't get recognized. Maybe you have a dynamic IP or something and the site logs your IP and the doesn't recognize you when the IP differs.

You probably know that many tools like Gmail, Twitter etc. send you a warning that somebody has tried to log in to your account with a different IP. Maybe it's a similar feature.

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
does it has something to do with cookies or browser reset at restart. i am 2 hours drive away from my system so unable to reproduce the problem
meanwhile pm all the senior members and do not let them sleep until you get the solution

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I don't think AtlBo will mind me repeating this innocuous quote from p.m.:

Sites do this when they get hacked. No excuses, but I am sure Mozilla is a huge target for hackers looking to poke around in their code base for information on how to hack Firefox/Thunderbird, etc.

Back to what I said earlier:

Is there something in Advanced Options to avoid?

I make them 20 characters long if the website or application permits, and I use all character types.

Could the fact that I try to make extra-tough passwords like the experts recommend be backfiring on me?

OK, I just did it again on support.mozilla.com:

bMeW9x.png

It tells me password successfully reset before rejecting me once again when I try to log in with the new password. And this time I disabled special characters with the password generator.

Last edited:
Reactions: given

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
Reverting Your Master Password | User Manual

Important Notes:

Make sure to carefully choose the date to revert to, as any changes made since then will be lost – your entire Vault will be overwritten with the backup data and your Master Password will change back.
Also, please note that you can only revert to a date within 90 days of your last Master Password change. If that 90 day period has passed, you will no longer be able to use the Revert feature.
Once reverted your account, try logging in again, with your previous Master Password.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Check your email too, it may want you to verify that you actually requested that change.
This is weird for me too, I use Lastpass with FireFox and have not seen this to the extent that your experiencing.
If you solve this please by all means share it with us brother.
Sorry to see your having this headache :(

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Reverting Your Master Password | User Manual

Important Notes:

Make sure to carefully choose the date to revert to, as any changes made since then will be lost – your entire Vault will be overwritten with the backup data and your Master Password will change back.
Also, please note that you can only revert to a date within 90 days of your last Master Password change. If that 90 day period has passed, you will no longer be able to use the Revert feature.
Once reverted your account, try logging in again, with your previous Master Password.

I'm not experiencing problems with my LastPass Master Password these days. I did a couple of years ago when LP for some reason had a hard time processing my email change. But their Support helped me get past that.

Check your email too, it may want you to verify that you actually requested that change.
This is weird for me too, I use Lastpass with FireFox and have not seen this to the extent that your experiencing.
If you solve this please by all means share it with us brother.
Sorry to see your having this headache :(

Oh yeah, I have been dealing with this Mozilla Support thing through email. They have me in an endless circle with no way out. It appears that my effort to create a second account on Mozilla Support with my seldom-used GMail account failed, but I'll have to check on that again.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.