Troubleshoot Weird File taking up 400+ GB of space

KokoKid

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
There is this file thats 400GB+ on my friends system.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Googled it a bit.
Hey. Here's what happended.

MyMnEl6.jpg

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
By my quick research, the file might contain old data from the previous OS. Did you recently upgrade? Might be kind of like an Windows.old folder. This has never happened to me so unfortunately I can't help any further than saying use the built in windows clean manager to delete that file. Or delete it manually. I know if it was a Windows.old file, it could only be deleted with the windows clean manager tool (well that is the simplest method anyway).

Upvote 0

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
If he did the Upgrade he would have a Windows.old folder in his C: Directory

I know. Windows.old can become corrupted. This file IS in the C directory so it is more likely to be that than it to not be. Some people report this file being created before an upgrade. More reason for me to have said about it.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
One of the possible theory is failure to conduct those old Windows Files properly hence from the root word 'Safe to Delete'.

Use a cleaer tool to properly remove that 400 GB, assume no important files contain.

Reactions: KokoKid
Upvote 0

ha14

Level 1
Verified
Oct 13, 2015
well you can transfer it to external hard drive and delete it, see what will happen. Once i had this weird file like your friend it was like 30gb, it was in download folder without extension, the only software that deleted that file was Full-Disk Fighter.
The only drawback at that time it deleted also utorrent files...(...Appdata-Roaming-utorrent)

Upvote 0

kowalski215

Level 2
Verified
Mar 16, 2015
Never saw a file like that (something similar after upgrading from 8 to 8.1 but not with those dimensions). I'd merely delete it. Windows is unlikely to use such a file as far as I'm concerned. Try using a 3rd party software and not just windows explorer (not sure it's able to do that at all).

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.