Advice Request What Additional Softwares To Use With ESET Internet Security?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What Additional Software To Use With ESET Internet Security 11?

• Total voters

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Eset tends to don't like any other real-time security software, especially zemana antilogger and hitmanpro alert which have anti-keylogger function in common. Even saying that, I used it with appguard for 1 yr in one of my laptops without problems.

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
If i wanted to add something it would be Shadow Defender.
If something passes through Eset just restart and everything is going to be back to normal
Just my opinion though.
Instead of adding other software alongside Eset learn how to make it's protection stronger through it's settings;)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Eset has a weak bb...so can the well configured hips compensate this shortcoming?

Btw Eset has a script blocker ( against scripts in Powershell) , so isn't OSA a overkill for eset?
1 A well configured HIPS compensates for a weak BB. But manually configuring ESET HIPS is too hard for the average user.
2 Most AV suites have some kind of script monitoring, but it is too weak. Because they have to serve a wide clientele, they cannot do the more aggressive kind of script blocking that you will find in OSA.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
1 A well configured HIPS compensates for a weak BB. But manually configuring ESET HIPS is too hard for the average user.
2 Most AV suites have some kind of script monitoring, but it is too weak. Because they have to serve a wide clientele, they cannot do the more aggressive kind of script blocking that you will find in OSA.
Absolutely spot on my friend. ESET no doubt has fantastic signatures but configuring the firewall and HIPS to Interactive bombards the user with alerts to the point that the user will get frustrated and turn them back to Automatic. I personally use OSA with ESET since OSA when tweaked properly will cover a lot of attack surfaces(like WSH, Powershell and many more others) :)

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
My AV is B.T.S. and as additional security:
Voodoo-Shield Pro+Heimdal Pro+Zemana Antilogger and HitmanPro.:)
You must have a powerful PC there my friend. BD alone should be sufficient for the most part and adding Voodooshield to it with make it almost bulletproof. I personally wouldn't use Heimdal and Zemana with BD. :D

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Normally you shouldn't need anything else; the suite is supposed to cover most layers and have enough features for them.
I agree with you on this one. For the average user with good browsing habits and a little knowledge on security, a good security suite and a properly updated Windows is more than enough along with a system backup. My parents have been using ESET Smart Security since version 5 and they have never been infected till now ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Reply in response to your existing SECURE: Basic - Devjit's Gaming PC Setup, which states ESET as primary protection.

So guys what do you use with your Internet Security Suite?
I recommend NVT SysHardener. It's FREE and does NOT drain resources. Simply install and forget.
Product Info: Harden Windows Settings with SysHardener | NoVirusThanks
Discussion: NVT SysHardener: Harden Windows Settings
Harden Windows OS to reduce the attack surface by disabling functionalities not required. Ransomware are known to spread via email as malicious attachments, that include DOC, XLS, VBS, JS, JSE, WSF. With our program you can unassociate these (uncommon) file types so when your employee opens a file named invoice.js, it will fail to open. You can mitigate Microsoft Office exploits by disabling Macros, OLE and ActiveX. You can disable Windows Script Host (wscript.exe) so JS, VBE, VBS, WSH scripts will fail to execute. We included also some smart Windows Firewall rules to block outbound connections of commonly hijacked programs so they cannot download remote files or send data anywhere.

Sandboxie is useful for any of the following:
- Careless users
- Unpatched software (browsers, flash player, java and out-dated OS)
- Runs anything downloaded (Warez, Fake updates, "Download Now" Ads)
- Mindful users who want to isolate their browsers.

Norton Power Eraser and Emsisoft Emergency Kit are better effective for post-infection clean-up.

Zemana Antimalware and Malwarebytes Antimalware offer Free (on-demand removal) and Premium (real-time prevention) protection. The non-portable builds install background services.

I have no knowledge or expertise with AppGuard, Shadow Defender, NVT Exe Radar Pro, VodooShield or ReHips. Your existing config already mentions a backup plan with external hard drive.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.