Advice Request What Additional Softwares To Use With ESET Internet Security?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What Additional Software To Use With ESET Internet Security 11?

• Total voters

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Reply in response to your existing SECURE: Basic - Devjit's Gaming PC Setup, which states ESET as primary protection.

I recommend NVT SysHardener. It's FREE and does NOT drain resources. Simply install and forget.
Product Info: Harden Windows Settings with SysHardener | NoVirusThanks
Discussion: NVT SysHardener: Harden Windows Settings

Sandboxie is useful for any of the following:
- Careless users
- Unpatched software (browsers, flash player, java and out-dated OS)
- Runs anything downloaded (Warez, Fake updates, "Download Now" Ads)
- Mindful users who want to isolate their browsers.

Norton Power Eraser and Emsisoft Emergency Kit are better effective for post-infection clean-up.

Zemana Antimalware and Malwarebytes Antimalware offer Free (on-demand removal) and Premium (real-time prevention) protection. The non-portable builds install background services.

I have no knowledge or expertise with AppGuard, Shadow Defender, NVT Exe Radar Pro, VodooShield or ReHips. Your existing config already mentions a backup plan with external hard drive.
Yes you are right regarding the PC security setup. I use ESET IS as my main defense in my gaming rig. I have already used NVT SysHardener to block WSH, Powershell, Remote Connections and many more. It's an extremely handy little tool. I downloaded the portable version, applied the tweaks, restarted my PC and it's done

Reactions: oldschool

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Reply in response to your existing SECURE: Basic - Devjit's Gaming PC Setup, which states ESET as primary protection.

I recommend NVT SysHardener. It's FREE and does NOT drain resources. Simply install and forget.
Product Info: Harden Windows Settings with SysHardener | NoVirusThanks
Discussion: NVT SysHardener: Harden Windows Settings

Sandboxie is useful for any of the following:
- Careless users
- Unpatched software (browsers, flash player, java and out-dated OS)
- Runs anything downloaded (Warez, Fake updates, "Download Now" Ads)
- Mindful users who want to isolate their browsers.

Norton Power Eraser and Emsisoft Emergency Kit are better effective for post-infection clean-up.

Zemana Antimalware and Malwarebytes Antimalware offer Free (on-demand removal) and Premium (real-time prevention) protection. The non-portable builds install background services.

I have no knowledge or expertise with AppGuard, Shadow Defender, NVT Exe Radar Pro, VodooShield or ReHips. Your existing config already mentions a backup plan with external hard drive.
I don't use Emsisoft Emergency Kit but instead use Zemana Anti-Malware Portable alongwith Norton Power Eraser.

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
When I was testing it I ran it with Heimdal for traffic filtering, Hitman Pro Alert for keystroke encryption , exploit mitigation and second opinion scanning, and Cylance for an AI based AV layer.

Yes a little overkill but worked well together.

Reactions: Wraith

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
IF you using eset you only lack of Sandbox/Virtualization so you can go
Sandboxie/Shadow Defender or even Vmware :)

And you can yet hardering your system change from Admin to local accout and use tool SysHardener from NVT

Extra:
KeePass for password manager
VPN: Nord for privacy as optional
Backup Must have - i can offer you macrium or paragon

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
What settings do you have HIPS on? Automatic, Smart or Interactive?

If interactive, then you probably won't need anti-exes or OSA. If not, then I would go with OSA.

Reactions: Wraith

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Never been infected with just ESET IS yet and it seems like you have average/good knowledge of computers. That's all that's required.
Personally, adding other layers is just overkill or gives a false sense of security.

Last edited:

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
IF you using eset you only lack of Sandbox/Virtualization so you can go
Sandboxie/Shadow Defender or even Vmware :)

And you can yet hardering your system change from Admin to local accout and use tool SysHardener from NVT

Extra:
KeePass for password manager
VPN: Nord for privacy as optional
Backup Must have - i can offer you macrium or paragon
Yes I use SysHardener. I also have KeePass for managing my passwords. For VPN I use Windscribe. For backup I have Macrium Reflect. The only thing I need to add to ESET IS is Shadow Defender for which I have a lifetime license already.

Reactions: harlan4096

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
What settings do you have HIPS on? Automatic, Smart or Interactive?

If interactive, then you probably won't need anti-exes or OSA. If not, then I would go with OSA.
I have ESET HIPS set to Smart Mode. I have enabled Smart Signatures/DNA and packers in realtime settings and set cleaning to Strict.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Never been infected with just ESET IS until now and it seems like you have average/good knowledge of computers. That's all that's required.
Personally, adding other layers is just overkill or gives a false sense of security.
IMO ESET IS is a very capable suite if you tweak the settings. Personally I use OSArmor with it since OSA covers the things which ESET doesn't.

Reactions: oldschool

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
I and my parents are using ESET for more then 10 years and we were never infected. I thought my parents PC could get infected since they are not advance users, but ESET always keep them protected.
I don't get all this additional software if you already have internet/total security pack.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I and my parents are using ESET for more then 10 years and we were never infected. I thought my parents PC could get infected since they are not advance users, but ESET always keep them protected.
I don't get all this additional software if you already have internet/total security pack.
If you have good user habits, you don't need anything more, really.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.