Battle What Antivirus/Security you are running on Win 10 32/64 Bits?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I am still with Windows Defender & Firewall.
Waiting for Comodo Internet Security for Win 10 to be released.

Avast - Dont like ads/popups.
Avira - Not good GUI plus no proactive.
AVG - Dont like the number of processes.
Panda Cloud - Not good GUI plus I find the protection decent but not good, etc...
Bitdefender Free - If new version comes up & I like it then will decide.
360 TSE - FPs prone plus some reasons dont like to use it.
Dont want to use the 1 year promo AV lic I have (I have decided not to waste time installing/uninstalling AVs. So I am going to decide on one & keep it until it gives me any probs).
Only free ones I am going to use.

Win 10 64 Bits

I

illumination

Thread author

On the posted memory leak...

I addressed this specific issue when it occurred with Windows 8.1. I'm not sure (it has been awhile) if I addressed the reason 'fix' and what it accomplished.

The name of this thread is also a huge point of contention as it isn't using RAM. It's using page file, and the distinction is massive.

Microsoft describes what this thread describes as the following:

Memory - Private Working Set

Subset of working set that specifically describes the amount of memory a process is using that can't be shared by other processes

This is only one chunk of memory out the 7 types described in Task Manager. Memory, allocation, and how it is shuffled around is one of the most complex items to grasp in modern operating systems. This is because there are so many types, and subsets of those types. It's also dynamic and ever changing, so getting a precise counter is nearly impossible, the best you'll get is a snap shot. Additionally, Task Manager doesn't actually display the amount of RAM consumption as it has its own sets of memory and subsets. It's also much faster, so it's difficult to get an accurate picture.

With this said, WSA loads a DLL into the Explorer process. This isn't uncommon, and is a fairly frequent occurrence for system utilities. Because of this 'injection' it makes sense for Explorer to create a buffer to improve stability. Particularly during the early release stages of the OS as many of the hardening functions haven't been written to solidify the process in question.

This is EXACTLY what is taking place in this instance. Explorer is detecting our DLL load and is insolating it against crashing. It's a fault protection, and as I mentioned in my original discussion, is actually a GOOD THING to do.

I also have no doubts that this issue will be resolved by Microsoft (the issue isn't something that we can fix, as it's a function of the Explorer Shell itself).

So for the 'why' other security products do not exhibit this phenomena, WSA is a unique application that functions in unique ways within the Windows Operating system. One would be hard pressed to find another solution that performs at the speed we do, and offers the functions, and features at the same size. So the comparison is a bit like apples to elephants.

The implication of this thread is that our software is using computer resources (that we aren't) and causing a problem as a result (whitch isn't the case). The reality is that Windows 10 recommends a Hard Drive size of 20GB (which is a bit laughable for everything but tablets) and out of that 20GB (or 20,480 MB) only 300MB or 0.0145 of that disk space is being reserved for the Explorer shell with WSA installed.

Also want to clarify the idea of a 'memory bleed' or 'leak.' This isn't what is being experienced by this occurrence. If this was true, the amount used would be significantly higher after use, than boot. A memory leak will see an INCREASE is usage indicating that more and more memory is being consumed by the service in question continuing to balloon until the system locks. This isn't the case. While Explorer's functions will raise and lower the memory usage depending on the tasks it performs, simply closing windows and applications will return it back to the same state (generally) that it was running in when the machine booted. There couldbe a variance of 20 or 30 MB, but for most stable un-modified systems, this isn't going to be the case.

Webroot Sr. Escalation Engineer
Grashocki on the WildersForums

Source: https://community.webroot.com/t5/We...-exe-using-up-to-300mb-RAM/td-p/60523/page/34

It is back on my system, light as ever, and running great. My gaming issue i found later was not caused by webroot but by my ISP, at the pole by our house, and has been since corrected.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Comodo is a product that is highly overrated, I have absolutely no idea why people praise them so much. Perhaps they can go back to bragging about how they're fixing 300+ bugs every release.
haha now that's funny. It's funny because it's true.
Anyone know if the shadow defend works on windows 10?
Yes. Even my old 1.2 does.

I switched from 360 TS to 360 TSE...same great taste but without the extra calories!

No Windows Defender (has performance of it actually improved in 10?)
No Smartscreen

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

I use:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware premium (lifetime)
Windows Firewall
WinPatrol (lifetime)
Adguard 5 (lifetime)
Process Lasso (lifetime)
And have a valid HitmanPro license for second line of inspection :).

Reactions: nissimezra

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Once I upgrade, I will use Windows Defender. I may decide to use Sandboxie when it's compatible and stable.

Web Malware and Download Protection will be provided by Google Chrome's SafeBrowsing. As I don't download or visit malicious websites, and do take necessary precautions against possible PUP/Adware.

Windows 10 will be kept up-to-date with any security updates.
All other software will be updated, unless low-risk and delay/skip updates (ie. CCleaner).

Kept to my word, running Windows Defender and other default security settings.

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
@Tani You can disable the popups in settings on the paid versions :)

Also you can just install what you want via custom install.
I'd disabled extra services that were activated with avast by default but didn't see any option to disable pop ups (like that vpn advertisement & optimization advertisement) I thought it's worst to show such types of advertisements to paid users while my pc boot up time was also being compromised, so changed it in 2-3 days without playing much with it (though never used their browser extensions as well) :p

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Windows Defender for real-time protection, always served me well for years, paired with safe web practices/habits.
Windows Firewall Control to get notifications for all outbound connections, provides better control and usage out of Windows Firewall.
Malwarebytes Free for on-demand scans for a second opinion, might run a quick scan every fortnight, doesn't hurt not too.
VTHash for instant VirusTotal results via a quick right click menu in Windows Explorer.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I am running Emsisoft Anti-Malware with Comodo Firewall's auto sandbox lurking in the background in case Emsisoft's amazing behaviour blocker misses something it's rare but I have seen stuff slipped through but Comodo always saves the day XD

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.