What are the down sides to these programs if any?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

illumination

I looked into both of these products awhile back and decided not to even bother spending money on a program i would probably end up disabling the real time optimizing crud, and use as a on demand anyway, which as stated above, is really the only difference between these and some free defrags..

Reactions: Littlebits

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I looked into both of these products awhile back and decided not to even bother spending money on a program i would probably end up disabling the real time optimizing crud, and use as a on demand anyway, which as stated above, is really the only difference between these and some free defrags..

Paid defrag software have these extra optimizing features which will continue to run in your system background decreasing your system performance. The point of using a defrag program in the first place is to make your system have better performance. Most paid defrag programs actually have an negative impact on system performance. The same thing applies to many system maintenance tools with auto optimization, they just have negative impacts. Use manual or schedule a task and avoid auto optimization programs if you want peak system performance.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: illumination

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
If you don't want to accept my direct easy to understand answer then that is your right but read it again since it appears to go right over your head. All defrag products are the same except for extra features, these features do not make your system run any better.

It is very hard to give you an answer when you want to compare a rock to a hard place and ignore all other options.

This forum is about sharing knowledge, you have no control over the replies that you will get, if you don't want unexpected replies, then don't ask a question on this forum because every member has the right to answer the question as they see fit.

Thanks. :D

What is the name of the topic & what was ask? It seems you have a reading & understanding disability :rolleyes: I clearly didn't ask about free defraggers,if i wanted to no about free defraggers i will have asked. You are being a hypocrite cause many uh time when people go of topic they get poke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
What is the name of the topic & what was ask? It seems you have a reading & understanding disability :rolleyes:
The only understanding disability in display here is yours. Littlebits compared the products you mentioned with other similar products. Your question "What are the down sides to these programs if any?" is answered by many people here, in Littlebits' case, he was trying to tell you there isn't much you'll gain from paying for a defragmenter (so that would be a down side, can you make the connection?). I tried to help you too, but it seems we may have just wasted some time. If you don't want other people's opinions, just test the products yourself, will you?

Reactions: Littlebits

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
What is the name of the topic & what was ask? It seems you have a reading & understanding disability :rolleyes:

You need to read again it keeps passing over your head-

1. They have negative impacts on your system which can decrease system performance.
2. They cost money when there are many freeware products available which are just as good or better.

What part can you still not understand, you said "any" and the question was answered what more do you want??

Reactions: illumination

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
O nuts screws & bolts+2in1 oil i asked about perfectdisk & diskeeper not free products---dammm rust.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
You need to read again it keeps passing over your head-

1. They have negative impacts on your system which can decrease system performance.
2. They cost money when there are many freeware products available which are just as good or better.

What part can you still not understand, you said "any" and the question was answered what more do you want??

I can understand number (1) if i ask about a paid product i want to know about it if i ask about free then u can run all free on it no prob that's all, thank you anyway for your comment.It's not like i don't value other people input but stay on topic.

Last edited:

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
The only understanding disability in display here is yours. Littlebits compared the products you mentioned with other similar products. Your question "What are the down sides to these programs if any?" is answered by many people here, in Littlebits' case, he was trying to tell you there isn't much you'll gain from paying for a defragmenter (so that would be a down side, can you make the connection?). I tried to help you too, but it seems we may have just wasted some time. If you don't want other people's opinions, just test the products yourself, will you?

Thank you all any way.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Paid defrag software have these extra optimizing features which will continue to run in your system background decreasing your system performance. The point of using a defrag program in the first place is to make your system have better performance. Most paid defrag programs actually have an negative impact on system performance. The same thing applies to many system maintenance tools with auto optimization, they just have negative impacts. Use manual or schedule a task and avoid auto optimization programs if you want peak system performance.

Hello, I am not saying that I disagree with you.

On the websites of Diskeeper and Perfectdisk, they provide many whitepapers regarding actual tests about the benefits of their 'realtime' optimizations, including less i/o operations, less energy consumption for the hard drive, etc.

Do you mean they fake their tests, or that their tests though could be true are irrelevant for the real average computer user?

Thankc.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Hello, I am not saying that I disagree with you.

On the websites of Diskeeper and Perfectdisk, they provide many whitepapers regarding actual tests about the benefits of their 'realtime' optimizations, including less i/o operations, less energy consumption for the hard drive, etc.

Do you mean they fake their tests, or that their tests though could be true are irrelevant for the real average computer user?

Thankc.

I believe is more of a marketing tactic, I have not tried the latest Diskeeper Pro but I did use PerfectDisk for years and I simply got tired of experiencing lags and long system response time while the live optimization was running. After I disabled that feature then my system got back its speed. Because that is probably something you need to experiment with and come to your own conclusions. Your can also check on other forums, users have complained about these real-time optimizers eating up system resources and causing lags.

It is important to keep your hard disk defragged especially if you constantly install and uninstall programs or download new files and delete old files. But you can setup daily, weekly or monthly scheduled defrags when you are not going to be using your system that way it doesn't cause lags and long system response time when you are working on a project.

On my system I don't like a lot of unnecessary background processes running all the time especially when they are making my system run slow. If it is not a problem for you then go ahead and use live optimizers but you need to compare the difference with or without them to know how it will effect your system for at least a month before you will know if they are worth using. I tried this on several different systems and all had the same results, live optimizers made these systems slower. When I dumped PerfectDisk and moved to Auslogics Free Defrag, I still couldn't tell any different in my system speed. Auslogics worked just as good as PerfectDisk which saved me money. Recently Auslogics released a pro version with live optimization, so I installed to trial to test it and just like PerfectDisk, it started to kill my system's speed so it was back to the free version again.

It makes common sense knowing how Windows works, anything that runs in your system's background will have some impact on system speed, it can vary according to many factors but still makes me wonder how any background process would speed up system performance. It just don't sound logical at all when I think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.