What are your security and privacy 2018 New Year's resolutions ?

In 2018, to improve your overall security & privacy, you are planning to (multiple choice possible):

• Change your AV/Security Suite for a different one

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Add an extra layer of security (anti-malware, firewall, sandbox, white listing software, etc...)

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Use an Ad-Blocker

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Use a password manager

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Activate 2 step authentication for your accounts

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Add extra browser extensions (HTTPS Everywhere, Ghostery, etc...)

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Use a backup/disk imaging software (or be more serious with your manual backups)

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Use a VPN

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Do other changes (please specify in comments bellow)

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Nothing, you're perfectly satisfied as it is (feel free to specify why in comments bellow)

Votes: 32 49.2%

• Total voters
T

TrinitronMSDOS

Thread author
With 2018 around the corner, the traditional "New Year's resolution" comes to mind to many of us. Dropping a few pounds, going to the gym, eating healthier... those are the "classics".

But what about your security and safety setup ? Have you given any thoughts about what you could do to improve it ? Are you planning to ? Or are you perfectly happy with how things are as of now for you ?

Don't hesitate to comment on what you are satisfied with and what you're planning to change (if you are) and why.

Also, please note that while multiple choices are possible for the poll, the last "Nothing" option should be selected alone for obvious reasons.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and hope you had a wonderful time with your families and friends ;)

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I'm satisfied with my configuration I won't change for a while, why? because I've got it all covered.
1 Emsisoft antimalware.
2 Comodo Firewall Cs.
3 Hard_Configurator.
4 Sandboxie.
5 VPN: Avira Phantom and Windscribe.
6 linux: Xubuntu Lts.

Last edited:

Flengo

Level 2
Verified
Oct 19, 2017
I'm perfectly satisfied with my current privacy and security practices.
However, my goal for 2018 is to get more people aware of security and privacy issues and show them simple ways to make things better for them (password managers, ad blockers etc.) - maybe even move a few people in my family over to Linux on their PCs.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
In 2018 focusing on Privacy/Online anonymity. I have normally used VPN's on-demand (F-Secure Freedome and Avira Phantom), but times changes and need to take privacy more seriously now. Evaluating two paid VPN services currently for the next few months, to see which one is more reliable to be set for 24/7, AirVPN or Windscribe. ISP's in my country are tracking and storing user records, so not going to let them, and since I use 4G unlimited data plan on mobile active 24/7, I also need a VPN for that (trying different setups with AirVPN and OpenVPN for Android, and for Windscribe Android client/strongSwan for IKEv2 support). I preddict that 2018 there will be more intensive users online tracking/privacy monitoring and so I am going to be ready for that. :notworthy:

Last edited by a moderator:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Will add NVT OSArmor to my MS SP4 security setup below when the drivers are signed off

For real-time protection

ESET AV
ZAL
SUPERAntiSpyware Pro
VoodooShield Free
FortKnox Personal Firewall
NetCut Defender
Avira Phantom VPN Pro (with free ProtonVPN and WindScribe VPN)
Shadow Defender
USB Disk Security
G Data USB Keyboard Guard

For my MS SP3 the real-time protection to maintain as status quo

EAM
HMPA
AdGuard for Desktop
VoodooShield Free
FortKnox Personal Firewall
NetCut Defender
Avira Phantom VPN Pro (with free ProtonVPN and WindScribe VPN)
Shadow Defender
USB Disk Security

Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I don't think I'll change anything. I'm happy as it is now.
I'll continue using my personal 6 rules of security:
  • Choose an antivirus that you like (i.e. not necessarily the one that has the highest detection ratio in every test or that has the most features with the most attractive names, or the biggest combination of products you can possible get. No the one that you are confortable with, that does it's job and runs smooth on your pc. Simply, the one that works for you.
  • Keep your software up-to-date (manually or with the software updater you like)
  • Choose strong passwords and store them safe (In your brain or password manager)
  • Use an adblocker extension while surfing the web.
  • Backup your imporant files regurarly.
  • And the most important one, use your brain while surfing. Common sense is still the best protection against malware!

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
All my entry points are properly covered. If i change something, it will be improving what i'm already using (better VPN, better Backup soft, etc...)
^^ I'll be doing exactly this too. As far as security suites go KIS is my sweet spot, lots of config options, easily lock a system down. I'll be using Forticlient with a Forti device on another system, but apart from that I'm going do to what Umbra is doing - just keep building on what I already have.If I find a better VPN I'll switch. But KIS will be staying on my main machine, if you takeaway the sandboxing it's like CIS done correctly. It's a very strong suite indeed and the tweaks and rules that actually stay and don't disappear are endless. I will be trying out other security set ups on an old tower I have.

I'm thinking of switching to Forti DNS although with Kaspersky's web filtering I'm not sure it would add much by way of protection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.