Battle What AV do you think is best for protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
An antivirus is only as secure as the person controlling the mouse. If you download things willy-nilly, you're asking for an infection and will probably end up with one. The best way to stay secure is to educate yourself and have a layered security config.

Out of the six antiviruses you listed, I would choose Avast as it is light, has an excellent detection rate in the videos and tests I've seen and has a lot of nice features. My suggestion would be to try out as many antiviruses as you can until you find one you are comfortable with using.

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
An antivirus is only as secure as the person controlling the mouse. If you download things willy-nilly, you're asking for an infection and will probably end up with one. The best way to stay secure is to educate yourself and have a layered security config.

Out of the six antiviruses you listed, I would choose Avast as it is light, has an excellent detection rate in the videos and tests I've seen and has a lot of nice features. My suggestion would be to try out as many antiviruses as you can until you find one you are comfortable with using.
Like I said I know an AV shouldn't be your only solution... Thanks for your thoughts though!

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I would have voted none.

Secure wise, it's pretty close call among them. It's the performance impact that is the deciding factor (for me at least).

Kaspersky: Slow down my system speed + web surfing
Bitdefender: Slow down my system speed
Comodo: "the disappearing rule bug"
ESET: default setting shuts my intenet connectivity.
SecureAplus: slow, very slow.
Avast: "turtle" my browsing speed.

If you really insist me to choose one, I'll go to ESET. The ability to tweak the configuration can do wonders if you know how to do it.

In general, the most secure security solution is the one that you have configured it yourself to suit your own preference.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I would use Avast but each one has its strengths and weaknesses. You can always try a trial edition for the program and see which one fits your needs. :) @CMLew Out of curiosity can you explain what you mean by turtle browsing speed. Were you using its extensions or something?

Default installation and default setting initially. Browsing speed slowed down drastically. Opening a webpage takes me 1+ mins. Typically I open a webpage takes me less than even 15 seconds to open one.

H

hjlbx

I know using just one AV shouldn't be your whole solution but I am curious, what is the most secure av in your opinion.

Out of the ones you have listed, and based upon prior testing, COMODO Internet Security - because it has auto-sandbox. It's free and you can set sandbox to default-deny.

If you want to rely upon only the AV (signature-based detection), then Kaspersky is the long-term proven best option.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I don't think there is a such a thing as "The best AV" all the selections are good choices and provide excellent protection and each in different ways with different engines.
I would have liked to see Emsisoft as a choice in the poll.
I voted other because my personal choices would be
  1. KIS
  2. ESET
  3. Avast
Not in any particular order as I use different solutions for different PC's for different uses and different users.

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
If a "best AV" were to exist, it would be AppGuard in lockdown mode. The "best AV" will be an AV that will do everything automatically with no tweaking required, and with no backdoors or blind spots. AppGuard in lockdown mode satisfies all these requirements.

Edit: I am aware that AG is not an AV, but who actually uses just an "AV" nowadays.

BMW325I

Level 1
Verified
Sep 16, 2016

Last edited:

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Without saying the same as stated above my choice is Comodo.
Not because they are best but they are free (i like that) and with some tweaking you can make it really good at protecting you at no cost at all!

Running Comodo FW+Avast and are most happy with this combo!

ExoGen CyberSecurity

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2016
Comodo, hands down. I've used for years and never got infected.

Downside of Comodo: Signature detection is not that good (CCAV has better protection), you need to play with it to get the best protection (the default settings are ok).

Other amazing products: Kaspersky, Emsisoft, ESET.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In terms of detection rates? Many will say Avira, some Bitdefender, Qihoo, Emsisoft and even Kaspersky.

It's a case to case basis, they rely on traditional aspect of detection [signatures and cloud]. The thing where users should consider are interesting features.

So far Avast have tremendous good components namely Hardening Mode, Deepscreen analysis and much more.

Kaspersky have unique Trusted Application Control where much flexible compare to other standard way.
Bitdefender/ Emsisoft, F-secure and few others have have BB or HIPS as form of backup when signatures bypass.

----------------------------------

The features mentioned will help to make the protection increase as possible because it is known for backup purposes and proven effective.

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
If a "best AV" were to exist, it would be AppGuard in lockdown mode. The "best AV" will be an AV that will do everything automatically with no tweaking required, and with no backdoors or blind spots. AppGuard in lockdown mode satisfies all these requirements.

Edit: I am aware that AG is not an AV, but who actually uses just an "AV" nowadays.
Again like I said I know you don't just use a av....

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.