What browser uses the least battery and is the fastest for Android?

What browser uses the least battery and is the fastest for Android?

• Firefox

• Kiwi Browser

• Dolphin Browser

• Firefox Focus

• Opera

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Hello, I was wondering what browser uses the least battery and is the fastest for Android?

I have tried Chome and I personally don't like the privacy policy and a lot of things about it. Also, it uses a lot of battery.

I like the idea of Brave but it is very slow for me on Android. I use Brave on Windows though as a secondary browser though.

Really like the idea of Kiwi Browser, but tell me what you think.

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
For me, there is never a consistent result. It depends on the type of SOC in your phone and how the OS is optimized. Personally I'm using Frost Incognito Browser because it is the least laggy on my particular phone. I heard others say that Chrome runs smoothly on theirs, I don't share that experience. Kiwi is smoother than Chrome but not smoother than Frost Incognito for me.

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Not sure about battery usage but for fast speed I suggest Kiwi Browser and Stoutner Privacy Browser. The former is chromium-based while the latter is a FF fork
Yeah, Kiwi Browser does seem really fast in my opinion. Also probably a good privacy policy too.

Reactions: brambedkar59

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
For me, there is never a consistent result. It depends on the type of SOC in your phone and how the OS is optimized. Personally I'm using Frost Incognito Browser because it is the least laggy on my particular phone. I heard others say that Chrome runs smoothly on theirs, I don't share that experience. Kiwi is smoother than Chrome but not smoother than Frost Incognito for me.
If you check Frost Incognito with Exodus Privacy app it has 6 trackers, namely

Facebook Ads
Google Ads
Moat
Google CrashLytics
Google DoubkeClick
Twitter MoPub

Frost is categorized as a 'Dangerous' app by Androlyzer

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
Check the browsers you would like to use with this third-part app based on Exodus Privacy: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.oF2pks.classyshark3xodus/

The choice is not easy, and the output maybe different for many devices and Browser versions;

Battery saving can be easily accomplished freezing apps like Bromite or Privacy Browser using Greenify, remember one thing anyway, many third-party apps, rely on what is called SystemWebView, and that is a really important component, both for security of your system, as like for perofrmances, Bromite in fact offer a specific WebView both for arm and arm64 that you can try, as a result, all apps will use the most updated WebView with Bromite enhancements.

There are many unmantained anymore browsers based on CAF and Aurora project out there, seems all of them stopped being supported around Dec 2018, they were browsers optimized for specific systems architectures.

As a personal taste, I used nowadays Privacy Browser and Bromite, you can add both of them from F-Droid, for bromite you will need to add the repo to it.

On Github there are many stubs about browsers projects, and even on gitlab, but probably the ones that are most updated are those two.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I switched from firefox to yandex lately and pros:
+ extension support chrome store: nano adblocker for me
+ access to chrome::/Flags
+ turbo/power saving mode

I havent tried kiwi browser yet, but since yandex is blink and has ability to chrome web store i prefer it over others

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I see no mention of Via. That browser is only around 700KBs on Google Play.
Simple and fast, also has a simple ad blocking.
Small browser like Via, Firefox Focus, Dolphin Zero Incognito, DuckDuckGo Privacy browser, Mint Browser, Opera Touch, Opera mini, etc uses Android System Webview. So when you use the Via browser (or other small browsers like it) to view a webpage it also runs Webview to actually display/render it. It is inbuilt in the Android OS and updates via PlayStore so it helps in saving data and storage, but battery wise you are still running the whole browser (like chrome) with separate components instead of just one.

Edit: Firefox Focus has moved to Geckoview now.

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Super light browsers may have issues with rendering some sites so I don't use them. I like Samsung Browser, Kiwi and Brave. I don't trust the privacy focused browsers to last long except maybe Brave and Firefox. But Firefox is too slow unlike its desktop counterpart.
Even Kiwi I stay doubtful on how long it'll last since its only one developer handling after all.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
If you check Frost Incognito with Exodus Privacy app it has 6 trackers, namely

Facebook Ads
Google Ads
Moat
Google CrashLytics
Google DoubkeClick
Twitter MoPub

Frost is categorized as a 'Dangerous' app by Androlyzer
Probably very true for the free version. I should have mentioned that I use the paid version Frost+ without the ads. But I will look into that. Thank you for the heads up!

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Super light browsers may have issues with rendering some sites so I don't use them. I like Samsung Browser, Kiwi and Brave. I don't trust the privacy focused browsers to last long except maybe Brave and Firefox. But Firefox is too slow unlike its desktop counterpart.
Even Kiwi I stay doubtful on how long it'll last since its only one developer handling after all.
Kiwi browser updates very frequently. Look at its releases below

Probably very true for the free version. I should have mentioned that I use the paid version Frost+ without the ads. But I will look into that. Thank you for the heads up!
Those are not ads but trackers. I believe if the app is hosted on Google Play Store there'll be embedded trackers unless you can get the apk directly from the developer website

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Kiwi browser updates very frequently. Look at its releases below

I know. But its only one developer doing the job. He's doing an excellent job, bringing extensions like that is praiseworthy. But since its only one developer, I can't help but get skeptical. I hope I'm proven wrong though in the future and he'll continue his great support.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Stoutner Privacy Browser v3.1 released

Faster now

- Add a close tab button to the app bar.
- Fix the left and right scrolling of website elements, which also makes the app bar scroll more smoothly.
- Add a blocklist loading splash screen and decrease the app load time.
- Add URL modification for Google Analytics, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Add the ability to open an image in a new tab.
- Fix the context menu web search.
- Fix undesired restarts when entering or exiting split screen mode.
- Fix changes to Download with External App not applying until after a restart.
- Fix browsing with some file managers.
- Add the option to disable the wide viewport.
- Improve the loading and switching of tabs.
- Display the WebView provider in About > Version on Android Oreo and newer.
- First full Turkish translation.
- Updated German translation provided by Bernhard G. Keller.
- Updated Italian translation provided by Francesco Buratti.
- Updated Russian translation.
- Updated Spanish translation provided by Jose A. León.

Get it here for free

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I really think there is no reason to user any browser other than Kiwi. Even on a Pixel 3 XL, Chrome is still lagging while Kiwi is smooth. It boggles the mind.

Last edited:

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
marketbanner-frost.jpg

Seems a nice project, unfortunately seems not anymore mantained?

And a browser that is not mantained anymore, even if fast, is unsecure; moreover, seems to me not opensource, so, the only way to trust this, will be by word.

Thanks for talking about it, I will try to check it soon.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
marketbanner-frost.jpg

Seems a nice project, unfortunately seems not anymore mantained?

And a browser that is not mantained anymore, even if fast, is unsecure; moreover, seems to me not opensource, so, the only way to trust this, will be by word.

Thanks for talking about it, I will try to check it soon.
Wait! Nvm! I don't know why I typed Frost. Freudian brainfart.
I meant Kiwi Browser!!!! :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.