What Company is Best Positioned to Deliver the Next Breakthrough Security Application

Company

• Avast

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Bitdefender

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Cylance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eset

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Emsisoft

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • GData

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kaspersky

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Norton

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Other (Post)

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I'm going with ESET following their partnership agreement with Gryphon. Avast was number one for a long time, and ESET could get to the top in a similar way with this partnership. If they do, I hope they set a new standard for free security along the way.

There are hoards of unlisted companies, so please post if you have a choice that isn't shown and please say something about why you think the company might deliver the breakthrough. One that comes to my mind is Heimdal/Thor for example. Hope you guys like the poll, and I hope for some votes. Really interested in this topic at this time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

None, all have similiar protection techiques. Maybe C because of it's AI/ML detection, but that wouldn't be correct answer since they already have positioned their products and what they do for a few years, I don't expect them to release 'new product' with extra terrestrial groundbraking protection technologies anytime soon.

Voted for Emsisoft, since they listen to user feedback and actually keep hard working on new version, and since they have said they will 'raise the bar' among others, I am interested how it will turn out.

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
None, all have similiar protection techiques.

You know, I almost always agree with you @davisd (when I understand what you are saying lol and jk I promise). With all respect, on this one, I disagree. For me, security is not a suite of protections that give you a reasonable chance to block malware. I don't even pay attention to those programs...even though they are good protection in some cases. No, in my opinion, real security is an architecture and a perfect science. It melds with the system and harmonizes. That said, if I am not satisfied now with products, well, I can imagine how the developers must feel whose pride is attached to the programs. :mad:

Not to say that I feel developers should have already developed the architecture of security at this point. I wouldn't say so. This is because the OS is changing and even the languages. Writing must be like trying to clean up the house so that it looks perfect while the workers are renovating and are tearing everything out. All this said, I expect one of them to break out from the pack...not against ransomware or fileless malware or for Microsoft :emoji_flushed: or against Microsoft...just will deliver a really clever and efficient way to achieve better than present concepts->like I am feeling it for WAY better than now from the efficiency and effectiveness angle.

On the other hand (about breakthroughs), I probably could have asked which company will raise the bar next (rather than breakthrough). I think Kaspersky has set the current bar, but I know the talk of a breakthrough upsets people sometimes. I don't think of it the same way I guess. A breakthrough for me is more of a bigger step in a progression of mostly smaller ones...exciting development maybe but not necessarily "everything there will be".

One last thing. Do a mantra like this "10 years from now", "10 years from now", etc. and meditate that way considering what the security landscape (and applications) will be like at that time. I'm kind of joking here, but really I think we will see unexpected efficiency by today's standards and economy of resources too. I do think we'll see almost all the companies we see now will still be around too in 10 years.

When there are breakthroughs...they tend to come fast on each other's heels, and I think there will be some of those along the way, although not necessarily a product...maybe sometimes a legal decision or other issue loosely related to computing and security.

military

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 13, 2012
Interesting question.
Remember how Windows Defender was a few years ago and how he is now. It seems to me that antivirus companies have stopped their development in the last few years. But Defender, on the contrary, improved the functions and added new ones. Cloud protection works well for him.
Interesting information about its development:
What's new with Windows Security on the Windows 10 October 2018 Update

What kind of breakthrough ? Just variations on what already exists ? That is not innovation. And it certainly isn't revolutionary.

None.

Microsoft has all the resources, and the way Windows is, is the best that it can come up with ? Oh please...

That it won't be GDATA is a safe bet.

The most effective protections are the most simple. Even with fully automated, bleeding edge Ai\ML, security is user-dependent. Softwares are not the solution to the malware problem. They're equivalent to, and about as efficient, as placing a bandage over-top of an underlying genetic disorder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting question.
Remember how Windows Defender was a few years ago and how he is now. It seems to me that antivirus companies have stopped their development in the last few years. But Defender, on the contrary, improved the functions and added new ones. Cloud protection works well for him.
Interesting information about its development:
What's new with Windows Security on the Windows 10 October 2018 Update

People better hope and prey that 3rd-party security solutions never go away. If the only thing available will be default Windows security, then malc0ders shall inherit the Earth. It isn't as if Microsoft hasn't already let them in for decades. And with the way Microsoft does things, they are making it even easier for the malc0ders as time goes on.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Maybe I did not understand the question, but if it's about imnovation. The only one that has that capacity would be Microsoft. And if it is a country, it would be the United States. Without any doubt on my part.

Last edited:

Microsoft merely adding stuff to Windows is not a breakthrough. Just like when it added Windows Defender Applciation Control. That had been available in Enterprise. And if anyone doesn't already know, Microsoft security in Enterrpise is all about default deny... complete system lock down. Gee, I wonder why that is ?

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
As per post i mean most of the paid vendors have shown a vast improvement over the years..almost all except 1/2

Depends on the employee skills ..the greater the talent inside the more would be outcome..this depends on financial status as well..

There are a bunch of factors involved

as far as AI/ML concerned just stay away from these scripts..these are just fixtures not facts.Seeing the improvents over these years..

Eset, Trend, G data, Kaspersky gets my vote over all

i blacklist mcafee, Avira, comodo, viper arcabit at least for the next 5 yrs

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Microsoft just needs to optimize Windows Defender like run it on the GPU or something. They need to buy up a company that has figured out how to do faster scans with less CPU utilization and they have a winner IMO. I think by 2020 the desktop AV industry will be like the mobile AV industry, pushed to the curb offering free AVs with all kinds of bells and whistles because nobody will bother anymore. Malware writers cannot catch up with the Ubuntu update cycle. Windows 10 has a buggy UI and lackluster UX, but man they are patching every security hole they can with every build.

Reactions: bribon77

Google, they have the money, the will and the influence to do it.

Zuckerberg AV with Ai\ML privacy plug-in.

Unfortunately... there are people who actually would use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.