What did you do after finding Ccleaner v5.33 was malware bundled?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
A:Only removed compromised CCleaner v5.33 and did malware scans an reinstalled new CCleaner with new digi sign and put FW to block it's direct access to the net.(y)

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I have jumped the infected version going directly to the most recent one.
But in the case I would have simply uninstalled the infected version running some anti-malware scans.
I use 64bit system, not involved in the mess.
Those concerned about any problems can restore an OS image for greater peace of mind.

P

plat1098

Other: CCleaner was the only one I knew outside of Windows, so after some fumbling around, installed another optimizer.

Three quarters thru a Speccy sub., it stopped detecting key sensors so I was already off Piriform. This debacle was the literal last straw; had it not been for the Speccy fail, CC would definitely have gotten another chance.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Just adding one thing: the restore points and OS restore image are two different things.
It is known that many malware infect also the restore points, then it's not a good idea to use them and, on the contrary, they should be deleted in case of infection.
An OS image created for example with Macrium, definitely offers a greater security level, because it overwrites the previous Windows installation.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.