What do you guys think of AVG recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
Not sure if this is the right section, sorry in advance. What do you guys think of how AVG has been performing recently? In the recent AV-Test it almost topped the charts with it's free version and during some private testing it seems effective. Never used to like AVG but is it possible that they're improving? Still don't like secure search but let me know!

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Although I am currently using another AV, (I occasionally will try other AV solutions) I used AVG free for more than 2 yrs, until August. I found AVG to be a Stalwart, working quietly in the background doing its job protecting my systems. While I used it I was never infected, although I've seen numerous claims on the web as to how it is sub-par compared to other AVs. That was not my experience, and had I listened to such claims I would never have tried this AV to discover how good it really is. I would recommend AVG to anyone looking for a good, stable, AV solution. If you do not care for the Secure Search feature just do a custom install to select what you want to install. Easy peasy.

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
is and always had a mediocre detection. slows system and occasional spikes.
honestly i recommend MSE over AVG at least it wont impact your performance much.

apaul

Level 2
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
I am using this AVG internet security 2014 now..
1. Good Detection for offline threats.
2. Bad online blocking. AVG Secure Search does not work well with Mozilla. Although works with IE but very bad blocking.
(Honestly it does not slow my system & works in background)

Last edited by a moderator:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Havent used AVG in many,many years but I did try it out a while back .Personally I think there are better free and paid solutions.
Based on my experience and unbiased reviews I prefer other software.
Best thing is to give it a go on your system and see what you think.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You don't need AVG to use their Secure Search. No toolbar required. Powered by Google.
http://isearch.avg.com

I think I'll say the same as with any AV, it will protect you unless you're looking for trouble.

Reactions: DaZa9 and NSG001

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
Havent used AVG in many,many years but I did try it out a while back .Personally I think there are better free and paid solutions.
Based on my experience and unbiased reviews I prefer other software.
Best thing is to give it a go on your system and see what you think.
Just like to evaluate programs at the end of each year to see if I want to change the set up on my families PCs. Generally agree with what people have said about it being pretty underwhelming during private testing.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Just like to evaluate programs at the end of each year to see if I want to change the set up on my families PCs. Generally agree with what people have said about it being pretty underwhelming during private testing.

I have some 12 month Bitdefender Total Security2014,6 Month Trustport Internet Security & some Eset Smart Security 90 Trials (that will last 90 days),if you would like to try one or more for your family let me know I will hook you up.

Last edited:

acme

Level 1
Apr 29, 2012
Not sure if this is the right section, sorry in advance. What do you guys think of how AVG has been performing recently? In the recent AV-Test it almost topped the charts with it's free version and during some private testing it seems effective. Never used to like AVG but is it possible that they're improving? Still don't like secure search but let me know!

I'm using AVG Premium 2014, now only $19.95 and it's doing great. No slow down, has firewall that blocks everything that's bad. Test show it's rated in the top five. I tried other AV's, so far AVG is the one I'm keeping.

:)

Reactions: JAMESWT and gery79

Neiltullio

Level 2
Verified
Dec 25, 2013
I think they have never been topnotch, but simple, free and enough for many users .
Since they started to be more money driven (and listed on the NYSE), they are worse and worse.
Jumping the adware/PUP wagon with their OpenInstall is far too much IMO.
Not too good protection and lot of FPs. I don't recomennd AVG.

Reactions: JAMESWT and frogboy

JAMESWT

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2014
I think:
Very slow detection after sud
Forum closed only blog...
No mail to contact
Very slow and not complete from chat support

A good free antivirus no more...
I used avg from 1998. Yet i use eset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.