What do you know about alleged vulnerability of the new chip credit cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I guess this fits under "Other Technology". I just got an email about this:

Just a few days ago the entire nation was required to adopt new “Chip and Pin” credit and debit cards.
These new cards are supposed to be fraud proof.
Except there’s one glaring problem with all of them…
Your card can be hacked!...
Because your new card sends out a small signal that allows for touch free payment it also sends out a
signal thieves can intercept, download and steal.
Even while your card sits safely in your wallet or purse.
The best (and only) way to protect your cards is by using a high-tech RFID wallet.
...These tiny, lightweight sleeves slip right over your cards keeping them safe from criminals.
Which means you’ll never have to worry about becoming the victim of fraud.

A fraudster could simply get near you with an RFID reader in their pocket and invisibly scan and capture your personal information from your credit cards. The Safe Wallet Shield is the perfect solution to shielding your most valuable cards by blocking their RFID signals and protecting you from theft.

This is the first I've heard of this signal creating the alleged vulnerability. I don't know if this protection is absolutely essential or if it is the best product for this purpose. This isn't a spam posting. I excluded any links. MT folks know me as a legitimate member. I'm interested in hearing what you know about all this.

Reactions: XhenEd

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The Rfid chip on credit cards, even though not powered, still will transmit out. The transmission range is about 1 meter. The range can be lowered by wrapping the card in metal, the decrease in transmission range being directly proportional to the thickness and type of metal used.

Most of the protection sleeves you see sold are nothing more then an aluminum fold wrapper covered with paper or plastic. These will indeed help somewhat, maybe reducing the transmission range about 10-20% (again, it varies). But the card can still be read by a hacker.

If you want to get a protection sleeve I certainly wouldn't waste any money on these cheapies. A much better option are those sleeves (or wallets) based on Faraday Cages. You can google: rfid protection sleeves faraday cage for your options in this area.

Hope you are answered.

Reactions: conceptualclarity

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thank you, cruelsister, for that very useful information.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I just called my credit card company, and they told me my 02/19 expiration chip card doesn't have RFID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.