Advice Request What do you think about Reason Essential? (Free Antivirus)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
It's one of the few anti malware offering realtime protection in the free version. Before the free version was only able to scan your PC, but you had to purchase the pro version to get rid of what it found.
Now it seems they added the ability to remove malware to the free version too, so I'd say it's a good add-on to an AV
Shop Reason Cybersecurity - antivirus software

On the other hand, they removed from the free version the "unchecky-like" feature

Edit: it looks like this is a different product compared with reason core security Download - Reason Core Security

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Reason isn't new. Also, Reason developer made one of the products MS bought to make WD. (GIANT)

Reason released Herdprotect, then used it for 90,000,000 scans over a few years to develop their Reason Core Cloud Engine used in Reason Security. He also developed Unchecky, and utilized the metrics of that to learn good/bad files for the AV as well.

Furthermore, he started;
Should I Remove It?

and utilized application reputation to further Reason Security databases and cloud engines.

dragongate888

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I used older version of Reason approx one year ago with free key just simply because I liked Giant antispyware back in XP era.. It appears working just right, not causing any problems. Therefore, this time around, I took liberty to test this new version, my feeling ? not too good.
A quick scan is slow and got stuck at 65%. I need to uninstall it very quickly. The build-in uninstaller failed to respond, then a third party uninstaller is also fumbled. No other choice but submerge into Safe Mode to kick it out. Reboot back to normal state, both disk cleaner and registry cleaner are applied. I am certain that this App should be cleaned out completely by now. To my surprise, a driver, ReasonCamFilter.sys still remained in system 32 folder and refused to leave. I chose to leave it there for now. Conclusion: use this app at your own big RISKs. Perhaps, someone has a different opinion, if so, let us hear it. Please.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
The last time i used it, to be frank, the product was bad. It's weak, and i can understand @SumTingWong comment above. Believe me, a weak product like Gridinsoft AM is far better and reactive than ReasonCore. And they(Gridinsoft) have major updates every month. When i was using ReasonCore for about more than a year there was serious bugs in the UI and its supposed webprotection didn't block a single malware or link.

Last edited:

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Just wanted to correct myself about Gridinsoft:emoji_pray: I would say that their product needs some improvement and not a weak product like i said before. They seem to be improving and upgrading their anti-malware regularly. I had an issue at one time when i was using the product, and they were quick to mail me and fix the issue. Very good customer care, to be honest. I just hope their product keeps improving especially on the malware detection and eliminating false positives.(y)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It seems like a decent security suite, but I wish they offered more features, such as registry cleaner, file eraser etc.
They will have more features in time. There is some kind of speedup module shown in the UI that is not currently accessible. But as others have said you never need to clean the registry. Considering that probably 99.9% of registry cleaners will delete valid registry keys, it a good thing not having a registry cleaner included.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.