What else do I need. I have Avira IS 2015, Heimdal, Hitman, and Spyshelter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
So I thought I'd try out Spyshelter, since it is on sale for 50% off. But I think I read that Avira IS 2015 was weak on zero day.

Maybe a cloud scanner added to what I already have would be a good choice. What do u think. All advice is appreciated.

What else do I need. I have Avira IS 2015, Heimdal, Hitman (demand scan only), and Spyshelter.

Oh one more question. I have uninstalled Keyscrambler Premium in order to try Spyshelter, I can't run both right, since they do the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JakeXPMan
H

hjlbx

Thread author
So I thought I'd try out Spyshelter, since it is on sale for 50% off. But I think I read that Avira IS 2015 was weak on zero day.

Maybe a cloud scanner added to what I already have would be a good choice. What do u think. All advice is appreciated.

What else do I need. I have Avira IS 2015, Heimdal, Hitman (demand scan only), and Spyshelter.

Avira's claim to fame is its good signatures, fast file verdicts and ability to detect polymorphism... it is not a zero-day protection really. Zero-day will be addressed by SpyShelter before any of the other softs.

If you are using SpyShelter Firewall along with Avira, Heimdal, HitmanPro you already have enough in terms of malware protections - but that is just my opinion. Others will suggest additional softs...

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
You dont need anything more, Spyshelter Premium with Avira is already a very powerful combo.

Maybe add Open DNS , uBlock with Chromium based browser and Unchecky. You dont need more active security software, it will impact system stability/performance ...

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Thanks Guys...Very Nice Responses....

Looks good, a nice blend. Nothing more needed.

In terms of scan, I recommend MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. My personal favorite. I dont run it realtime though, better a scanner with low FP for me. :)

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I don't think you should need anything else. Spyshelter should take care of the things that Avira misses no problem (Now I have not used Spyshelter myself, I have used Avira which is very good but I prefer Avast).

For me it's limited account + Avast + HitmanPro + Malwarebytes free + Applocker (which is a VERY powerful tool built right into Windows! I have all my programs I use on a whitelist and everything else will get blocked :))

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
If you not use google chrome, WSA is good additional layer for you. If you use chrome, maybe you can use immunet.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Better consider Avira Pro and put either Spyshelter Firewall or PrivateFirewall or strong tweaks from Comodo Firewall.

Avira IS components are way to far to compare from others which hold the state 'true internet suite

If you want let consider a multi engine part like Voodoshield or SecureAplus or Crystal Security + AV you want + Firewall. So that assurance will not provide any bypass on those setup.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Better consider Avira Pro and put either Spyshelter Firewall or PrivateFirewall or strong tweaks from Comodo Firewall.

Avira IS components are way to far to compare from others which hold the state 'true internet suite

Nice well thought suggestions to his question James.

Now I have a few Q,

Can he turn Avria IS into Pro ? I thought the Pro AV versions are the same as IS just a few less add ons o_O

I thought his Spyshelter was the firewall? :eek:

Does Private Firewall require strong tweaks as Comodo's Firewall? I assumed CF would outscore PF in most areas, even on its default set.

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
Guy my mistake. I am using Avira Pro, not the IS version.

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
system seems to be running very nicely. with what I have installed. Lots of confirmations from Spyshelter, the first time you use an app, but I like that. Reminds me of the old / orig zonealarm.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@JakeXPMan : Well the OP provide a correction which he is referring Avira Pro and not IS.

Now for that question: Well if ever a user purchase Avira IS then its fine, the thing make it concern is effectivity of components which why Pro version is acceptable. Firewall version needs to be enhance + lacks revolutionary trends like Sandbox and other useful stuffs.

Well PF is fine in default settings and turning 'ON' to maximum tweaks will go lots of user interaction without any reference basis that the file maybe malicious or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.