What exclusion should I do for this configuration: Avira IS+CF+Mbam Free+Voodooshield

vlad64

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 26, 2016
I have this setup on two PCs, both with Win 10 64-bit. My concern is possible conflicts between softwares. I added the exclusions for Mbam in Avira and for Avira in Mbam, even if I read that there shouldn't be any conflicts between these two, especially with free version of Mbam. I have Avira Pro set to highest detection level, CF configured according to this link (Guide for Comodo Internet Security v8 installation & setting +HIPS enabled in Safe Mode), Voodooshield free with Whitelist Mode-always ON and default setup, Avira Scout as browser and Avira System Speed Up.
My biggest concern is CF, because I use it now for the first time, I read a lot about it, but still have some concerns.
What settins should I make in CF( Firewall, Sandbox, Hips, Viruscope) for these secutity tools to work together without conflicts?
What settings should I do in other softwares for same purpose?
I have installed the setup for a week now and it seems to not be any problem, but I want to be sure.
Finally i want to ask for opinions about setup, what should I add/remove, how strong it looks etc.
I added a screenshot of my CF config: Gyazo - 4b9ea71bb8e9757646229a01e5e837e9.png
One last thing, when I want to open a browser in Comodo Sandbox, I have no internet, the page is not loading and the process appears in Blocked Intrusions in Defense+Events section and i don't know why (tried with many browsers).

M

MalwareBlockerYT

There shouldn't be conflicts between Avira & VoodooShield or Mbam but it is possible that there could be a conflict with Comodo IS. If you use Comodo IS primarily for the Firewall then you should be fine but yeah like you said you need to check all the settings to make sure that everything is ok & won't ever conflict. By the sound of it I think you'll be fine. I used to use Comodo IS with Kaspersky IS 2017 & VoodooShield & Zemana. I used Comodo for Sandboxing only though & there were no conflicts there.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I used this config in the past and had no conflicts between the softwares because there is only 1 AV doing the real time scanning, while the rest are just on demand scanners. But adding exceptions to each other won't do any harm and of course it's safer

W

Wave

If they are all white-listed then chances are it should run fine however the results cannot be determined always, you'll have to test it and wait and see how it runs... Although that being said, I think your configuration is a little over-kill to be completely honest with you. I would do something like this:

Config 1:
- Avira IS
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free (on-demand)

Config 2:
- Avira IS
- VoodoShield

Config 3:
- Avira IS
- Comodo Firewall (auto-sandboxing)

Config 4:
- VoodoShield

Config 5:

... See how it's getting more simpler and simpler but stays effective if used correctly?

There's no point going overkill with them all, because if you are going to become infected the it'll happen regardless of how much security you have. As long as you are watching what you are doing online (e.g. what you download/allow to run, what websites you visit and the such) then you'd be fine with just Comodo Firewall (with auto-sandbox) and/or VoodoShield (and only allowing trusted objects).

Of course it's up to you but I'm just trying to help. As for the compatibility, test it out and see how it performs - make sure you have backups say on case the system ends up resulting in a crash and causing data corruption.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Vlad-

1). You really don't have to make any adjustments to CF to run the other security applications that you mention. They are all valid so CF will ignore them.

2). Your browser problem is this and easy to fix- You are trying to run the browser in the sandbox, but you also have the Firewall settings box ticked to block all sandboxed applications from accessing the network! You can resolve the issue by unchecking the box 'Do Not Show Popup Alerts'. Personally I wouldn't bother to run the browser in the sandbox at all and actually leave that firewall setting at Block, but that's just me.

3). I'd dump Avira as you have VS, or VS as you have Avira- your choice. Also kill the HIPS in CF and change the sandbox level to Restricted.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

If they are all white-listed then chances are it should run fine however the results cannot be determined always, you'll have to test it and wait and see how it runs... Although that being said, I think your configuration is a little over-kill to be completely honest with you. I would do something like this:

Config 1:
- Avira IS

Config 2:
- Avira IS
- VoodoShield

Config 3:
- Avira IS

Config 4:
- VoodoShield

Config 5:

... See how it's getting more simpler and simpler but stays effective if used correctly?

There's no point going overkill with them all, because if you are going to become infected the it'll happen regardless of how much security you have. As long as you are watching what you are doing online (e.g. what you download/allow to run, what websites you visit and the such) then you'd be fine with just Comodo Firewall (with auto-sandbox) and/or VoodoShield (and only allowing trusted objects).

Of course it's up to you but I'm just trying to help. As for the compatibility, test it out and see how it performs - make sure you have backups say on case the system ends up resulting in a crash and causing data corruption.
I'd use Config 2 :)

vlad64

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 26, 2016
Thank you all for so quick responses.

Vlad-

3). I'd dump Avira as you have VS, or VS as you have Avira- your choice. Also kill the HIPS in CF and change the sandbox level to Restricted.

Can you tell me please how do i set the sandbox level to restricted and why to turn off HIPS?(will do avira real-time protection the job of them?)

Also, I'm thinking for some time to buy Sandboxie, never used it before. Does it worth, giving the fact that I do browsing with Avira Scout only and installing trusted programs?

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Thank you all for so quick responses.

Can you tell me please how do i set the sandbox level to restricted and why to turn off HIPS?(will do avira real-time protection the job of them?)

Also, I'm thinking for some time to buy Sandboxie, never used it before. Does it worth, giving the fact that I do browsing with Avira Scout only and installing trusted programs?
I believe you do it by going to advanced settings > Sandbox > Autosandbox > Right-click Run Virtually to edit > Options > Check Set Restriction Level > Restricted

vlad64

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 26, 2016
So, if I choose this configuration and remove CF,
- Avira IS
- VoodoShield

Should I use Windows Firewall or a 3rd party firewall?

P.S. What would be better to keep: CF or VS(free)?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
why to turn CF HIPS off? Because any program that is trusted, you will get no prompt for it from HIPS. And any program that is not trusted, you will get a prompt even from autosandbox. So you don't gain anything from the HIPS. I assume you are in the proactive config, which is very recommended for tight security.

As regards sandboxie: you will find that your browser starts up much faster in COMODO sandbox than it does in SBIE. As long as you don't need drag-and-drop functionality, I don't see what you gain from adding SBIE.

My personal opinion is that you have too much security software. Place more confidence in yourself, you know what you are doing and you don't need all those extra protections.

vlad64

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 26, 2016
Thank you very much, shmu26! I am new with CF. I checked the comodo configuration and it was in Firewall security, not Proactive. I changed it to proactive. What other settings should I do? Do you have a link to some configuration guide or something?
I decided to keep CF+Avira IS+MBAM(on demand) and to use Comodo Sandbox. Is this too much?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thank you very much, shmu26! I am new with CF. I checked the comodo configuration and it was in Firewall security, not Proactive. I changed it to proactive. What other settings should I do? Do you have a link to some configuration guide or something?
I decided to keep CF+Avira IS+MBAM(on demand) and to use Comodo Sandbox. Is this too much?
for config guide, there is CruelSister's famous guide
Regarding Comodo
I linked you to the end of the discussion, you might want to work backwards, because then you will see posts about the newer version of COMODO.
Maybe there is another, updated guide somewhere, @cruelsister should know...

about whether CF+Avira IS is too heavy (MBAM is only on demand, so no problem there), the question is like this: what do you gain from the full Avira suite? You can add the free Avira Browser Safety extension to your browser (like I did), if you want website protection. You don't need the full suite for that.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
a quick tip with comodo: make sure that your other firewalls (windows and avira) are turned off. If not, turn them off manually. You should only run one firewall, and sometimes after installing comodo you will find that 2 are running.

don't worry too much about configuring comodo. If you are in proactive config, and you follow the advice that @cruelsister already gave you right here in this thread, then you are all set up.

vlad64

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 26, 2016
Thanks again! I'm using Avira Scout which have this feature +privacy badger+https everywhere. I have bought the Avira IS license last year, so I thought it would not hurt to have it, even if I can't answer what I gain more from it. I used in the past Avira IS+Windows Firewall only.

Yeah, I have manually removed the firewall feature from avira+ deactivated windows firewall, after I have installed CF.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks again! I'm using Avira Scout which have this feature +privacy badger+https everywhere. I have bought the Avira IS license last year, so I thought it would not hurt to have it, even if I can't answer what I gain more from it. I used in the past Avira IS+Windows Firewall only.

Yeah, I have manually removed the firewall feature from avira+ deactivated windows firewall, after I have installed CF.
https everywhere is very good, but again, you can add it for free in your browser, like most people do.

I must admit that I don't know avira scout or its features, but if everything is working with your system, and you are not experiencing slowdowns, then leave it as is. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Reactions: AtlBo and vlad64

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Reactions: AtlBo and vlad64

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.