What free or paid AV to run along side of COMODO firewall?

What would you pair with COMODO firewall?

• avast! free

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Bitdefender free

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Avira free

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Eset

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Kaspersky

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Hello,

Right now I have the full CIS suite installed, before I had avast! paired up with the firewall but then went back to the full CIS suite. I liked how avast! had a web blocker. I do use COMODO DNS servers. I am looking to go back to avast! once version 8 comes out. That's if it is compatible. I sure hope it is :D

So please vote for which AV (free or paid) you would use with COMODO firewall. My opinion it's avast! but I would like to hear what other people think :)

If it is not in the list, please specify which one and say why ;)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
A web filter isn't necessary. In order to infect your machine, malware must be executed. Any decent on-access scanner should be able to intercept this.

Filtering web access is only a drain on resources, for dubious gain.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
HeffeD said:
A web filter isn't necessary. In order to infect your machine, malware must be executed. Any decent on-access scanner should be able to intercept this.

Filtering web access is only a drain on resources, for dubious gain.

Thank you for replying. I will just keep CIS as it is. :)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Malware Man said:
Hello,

Right now I have the full CIS suite installed, before I had avast! paired up with the firewall but then went back to the full CIS suite. I liked how avast! had a web blocker.
Install a site advisor like WOT or Norton SafeWeb, and you can stop worrying about the trustworthiness of a site...

Comodo Antivirus has one of the best heuristic engine, and is designed to work alongside the COMODO Firewall, so I would go for this one.... Avast is a very good and powerful antivirus, but I think you'll need to disable the behavior blocker to avoid any issues.

Truth be told, Comodo strength doesn't come from the antivirus feature, but from its Sandbox and HIPS, so if you go with COMODO Antivirus or Avast it should not make that much of a difference when it comes to protection.
You should always keep in mind that detection is not a constant, one sample may be quickly detected by Avast than COMODO , and vice versa. Install an on-demand scanner and check your downloads before you allow them to run, or even better, upload them to Virustotal to be check by all the vendors, and so you'll get a higher degree of protection.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Jack said:
Malware Man said:
Hello,

Right now I have the full CIS suite installed, before I had avast! paired up with the firewall but then went back to the full CIS suite. I liked how avast! had a web blocker.
Install a site advisor like WOT or Norton SafeWeb, and you can stop worrying about the trustworthiness of a site...

Comodo Antivirus has one of the best heuristic engine, and is designed to work alongside the COMODO Firewall, so I would go for this one.... Avast is a very good and powerful antivirus, but I think you'll need to disable the behavior blocker to avoid any issues.

Truth be told, Comodo strength doesn't come from the antivirus feature, but from its Sandbox and HIPS, so if you go with COMODO Antivirus or Avast it should not make that much of a difference when it comes to protection.
You should always keep in mind that detection is not a constant, one sample may be quickly detected by Avast than COMODO , and vice versa. Install an on-demand scanner and check your downloads before you allow them to run, or even better, upload them to Virustotal to be check by all the vendors, and so you'll get a higher degree of protection.

Hello Jack,

Thank you for your kind suggestions! :)

I already have WOT, & Norton SafeWeb installed since I am now using the 6 month trail of Norton that came with my laptop. Norton is even lighter then COMODO for me. COMODO was about 18MB and Norton is using about 12MB. I can't even feel it. :)

I'm going to stick with Norton for now. I will most likely go back to avast! or COMODO when this trial is over. I may even get Norton if I really like it. My favorite free solution is avast! or COMODO.

I use Malwarebytes as my on demand scanner. As we all know, it is one of the best on demand scanners out there.

I know about the site VirusTotal. I am not using it very much. That is a very good idea. But now since I have Norton. It scans all my downloads and tells me if it is safe or not. If I know that it may not be safe and Norton says it is. Then I will go ahead and upload it to VirusTotal to double check ;)

D

Deleted member 178

i will stick with full CIS, the AV module is strong enough now.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
i will stick with full CIS, the AV module is strong enough now.

Hello,

I have moved onto NIS for now. I can't even feel it. It is even lighter then CIS at only 12MB which I think is just amazing.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would have stuck with CIS.Hopefully you dont feel NIS on uninstall that is if you decide to uninstall it.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
exterminator20 said:
I would have stuck with CIS.Hopefully you dont feel NIS on uninstall that is if you decide to uninstall it.

Hello I am very disappointed in NIS. I ran a scan with the malware packs on here. It has such poor detection rates. Like it detects a little less then half while COMODO can detect like 90% of it. I feel CIS can protect me way better. It's gonna be quite hard to get something past it. I used the Norton uninstall tool cause ya know how Norton loves to leave remainders behind.

I learned how to use HIPS and all that. I started learning COMODO around version 3 so I was used to all of it's pop ups. I feel that NIS is geared towards beginners who don't know what they are doing on the internet. COMODO is more for the advanced users and I like tweaking my settings to my preference.

Basically I would never pay for Norton.

I'm fine with the full COMODO suite. I even like it better then the avast! + COMODO firewall combo now. :)

D

Deleted member 178

Malware Man said:
Hello I am very disappointed in NIS. I ran a scan with the malware packs on here. It has such poor detection rates. Like it detects a little less then half while COMODO can detect like 90% of it. I feel CIS can protect me way better. It's gonna be quite hard to get something past it. I used the Norton uninstall tool cause ya know how Norton loves to leave remainders behind.

Maybe you don't know how NIS works, NIS is no more focused on detection as before but more on Prevention, also if you disable "Smart Updates" you will download more signatures then the detection rate will increase.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
Malware Man said:

Maybe you don't know how NIS works, NIS is no more focused on detection as before but more on Prevention, also if you disable "Smart Updates" you will download more signatures then the detection rate will increase.

Hello,

Thanks for the tip! :) But I'm staying with COMODO. I'm quite happy with it.

P

Plexx

Malware Man said:
Hello I am very disappointed in NIS. I ran a scan with the malware packs on here. It has such poor detection rates. Like it detects a little less then half while COMODO can detect like 90% of it. I feel CIS can protect me way better.

As umbra explained, Norton focuses more on Prevention than Detection. It is basically the same core approach of COMODO (note I am not saying their AV is subpar).

Both NIS/NAV/CIS can protect the user just fine.

Malware Man said:
I feel that NIS is geared towards beginners who don't know what they are doing on the internet. COMODO is more for the advanced users and I like tweaking my settings to my preference.

I'm fine with the full COMODO suite. I even like it better then the avast! + COMODO firewall combo now. :)

Both Vendors actually have settings that work out of the box. COMODO can be a bit more work to understand some settings and what not, specially on version 6, but their Official Help Guides are very informative.

Just because you have gotten used to use COMODO since version 3, Version 6 is way more different along with the introduction of new features.

Blaming Norton detection rate to base your opinion that is not good is incorrect. Without the understanding on how each solution works, you will never get the best out of it.

The same goes for the good old avast! + comodo firewall combo. Why do you think this combo is very popular? It ain't because of it's webshield that Comodo doesn't have. The scan speed argument was basically hardly touched as well.

The only reason is because pre-version 5.5 (I believe), CAV had some FP issues. They have improved ever since but general opinion of users who do not try to understand its core mechanics and give a product a second change caused the argument that avast! with COMODO Firewall (with or without D+) is way better. You can still observe this type of behavior and opinions on other solutions like AVG pre version 2012.

In fact, avast on version 7 had issues in nearly all builds, apart from latest one and perhaps the 2nd one or 3rd one - on windows XP/Vista/7. I am not even going to touch the Windows 8 subject.

So to sum up, unless there are really flaws with the AV part of the Internet Security Solution, stick to it.

There are however some arguments over other combos with Comodo, such as ESET AV + CFW/D+, Avira + CFW/D+.

But that is another subject.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Biozfear said:
Malware Man said:
Hello I am very disappointed in NIS. I ran a scan with the malware packs on here. It has such poor detection rates. Like it detects a little less then half while COMODO can detect like 90% of it. I feel CIS can protect me way better.

As umbra explained, Norton focuses more on Prevention than Detection. It is basically the same core approach of COMODO (note I am not saying their AV is subpar).

Both NIS/NAV/CIS can protect the user just fine.

Malware Man said:
I feel that NIS is geared towards beginners who don't know what they are doing on the internet. COMODO is more for the advanced users and I like tweaking my settings to my preference.

Both Vendors actually have settings that work out of the box. COMODO can be a bit more work to understand some settings and what not, specially on version 6, but their Official Help Guides are very informative.

Just because you have gotten used to use COMODO since version 3, Version 6 is way more different along with the introduction of new features.

Blaming Norton detection rate to base your opinion that is not good is incorrect. Without the understanding on how each solution works, you will never get the best out of it.

The same goes for the good old avast! + comodo firewall combo. Why do you think this combo is very popular? It ain't because of it's webshield that Comodo doesn't have. The scan speed argument was basically hardly touched as well.

The only reason is because pre-version 5.5 (I believe), CAV had some FP issues. They have improved ever since but general opinion of users who do not try to understand its core mechanics and give a product a second change caused the argument that avast! with COMODO Firewall (with or without D+) is way better. You can still observe this type of behavior and opinions on other solutions like AVG pre version 2012.

In fact, avast on version 7 had issues in nearly all builds, apart from latest one and perhaps the 2nd one or 3rd one - on windows XP/Vista/7. I am not even going to touch the Windows 8 subject.

So to sum up, unless there are really flaws with the AV part of the Internet Security Solution, stick to it.

There are however some arguments over other combos with Comodo, such as ESET AV + CFW/D+, Avira + CFW/D+.

But that is another subject.

Hello,

I get that I cannot just judge Norton based on it's detection rate. But I'm aloud to state my opinion. I feel that COMODO has a better detection rate than COMODO. Now you could have a different opinon on it.

I was running the 6 month trail of it so I would eventually have to switch to something else anyways not unless I pay for a license, which I would not do anyways.

I used to think that a AV is better if it has a web shield. That doesn't mean that it is. Sure it can catch threats before you get a chance to download it. That's always nice. But that doesn't mean if a AV doesn't have a web shield that it won't catch it. That's what a on-access scanner is for.

I didn't know that was the reason why the avast! + COMODO firewall combo was popular, thank you for telling me. I feel that CAV have improved a lot since the last version I used. I'd rather just use the full suite so there isn't any conflicts.

I don't even get viruses much at all. I am a paranoid user though. So I can my PC pretty much every day or so. I think COMODO will protect me just fine. I don't really feel the need to go out and pay for a security solution. Some may think that just because it's paid means it's the best or whatever. That's not always the case.

I am not trying to bash Norton. I think it's a wonderful security suite. It is very light and SONAR is a amazing technology. Norton has dramatically improved over the years. I remember when Norton 2004 was installed on our first family PC. I didn't know much about PCs back then so I can't really tell you about how bad Norton was back then.

All security solutions I installed on Windows 8 have worked just fine. Except for Kaspersky blocking the metro style apps. That was the only one I had a issue with. The rest work marvelous.

I'm still new to learning about antiviruses. I realized I may have said a invalid statement. I didn't mean it for it to come out like that. I was only saying I wasn't happy with the detection. Someone also told me if you turn off smart update it gives you more signatures. I didn't know about that.

I think CIS and NIS are fine security suites. CIS geared more towards advanced users and NIS towards the beginners who just want something to install and forget.

I'm happy with COMODO. And I won't be changing now unless something really impresses me. I will tryout other stuff on VM's though. Since I like testing out new software.

I would be happy using either of them. I have COMODO back now. I would only have to uninstall Norton 6 months down the road and I would end up back with COMODO.

I'm not trying to be some COMODO fan-boy. I also love KIS. I would use it but the fact that it uses up so much memory and CPU on my PC is not acceptable.

My top AV's/Suites I like are:
-CIS
-KIS
-NIS
-avast! free/paid

Hope it's all good now! :D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Biozfear said:

I don't think you need to understand how a solution works to get the best out of it. You just need to understand that throwing a pack of malware at an AV or security suite is about as far from a "real world" test as you can get.

So is the average YouTube test where they just open some URL's and give a verdict. The only thing I find useful about YouTube tests is just getting an idea of how an application functions. I put absolutely no stock in the accuracy of these tests.

AV's in general aren't great at protecting your system these days, so "detection rate" is fairly meaningless with todays malware. (Not to mention, it's impossible to actually measure an AV's detection rate...) Layered protection is really where you are going to find the best protection.

Many people also swear by using different manufacturers for each "layer" so you're not putting all of your eggs in one basket. There is definitely a lot to be said in favor of this approach, but there is also a lot going for the fact that a security suite is guaranteed to have its "layers" be compatible with each other.

My suggestion is to simply try everything and decide what works best for you. Everybody has their favorites, but in the end it all comes down to what you like. :)

D

Deleted member 178

HeffeD said:
The only thing I find useful about YouTube tests is just getting an idea of how an application functions.

same for me too, i absolutely don't care how many links/malwares it blocks but how it performs for the different kinds of malwares.

manmur

Level 1
Verified
Jan 23, 2013
I have used Avira Free with COMODO firewall in the past. But this was 2 years ago.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
manmur said:
I have used Avira Free with COMODO firewall in the past. But this was 2 years ago.

Hello,

I don't think Avira is up there anymore. Kaspersky outperforms it. But Avira is way lighter. I also really hate those nag ads you get whenever it updates. Those got on my nerves. I'd rather have ads playing in the GUI then have them popping up every time it updates.

I haven't used Avira in awhile. Maybe 3 years ago. Probably never will, I personally think there are better options out there like CIS, avast!, NIS & KIS.

My personal favorites are:
CIS for a free solution
KIS for a paid solution

May I ask what you use now for your security set up? :)

manmur

Level 1
Verified
Jan 23, 2013
Malware Man said:
manmur said:

Hello,

I don't think Avira is up there anymore. Kaspersky outperforms it. But Avira is way lighter. I also really hate those nag ads you get whenever it updates. Those got on my nerves. I'd rather have ads playing in the GUI then have them popping up every time it updates.

I haven't used Avira in awhile. Maybe 3 years ago. Probably never will, I personally think there are better options out there like CIS, avast!, NIS & KIS.

My personal favorites are:
CIS for a free solution
KIS for a paid solution

May I ask what you use now for your security set up? :)

I use CIS 6 ( set to proactive security with BB set to Full vitalization (Require registry edit)) & Zemana anti-logger free as my real time security.

I also have Malwarebytes and Emsisoft Emergency kit for on demand.

I have Kaspersky Rescue CD for Emergencies.

I also use Firefox with Noscript, WOT, Ad-block plus with Malware-domain list/ Easy List, HTTPS everyware, Better privacy, Do Not Track Me. I also use Norton DNS. I do all of my browsing in COMODO sandbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.