Advice Request What impact a VPN has on Accounts? Can it mess up Facebook, Google, etc... because of IP changes?

• Thread starter RoadRashWolfenstein
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
So i was thinking about getting a subscription to a VPN service, and I've gathered most of the basic infos there is to know. Still, i have some questions for which i didn't find any clear answer.

1: What is the impact of using a VPN on your Google, Facebook, Twitter and such accounts ?

2: As the IP and location always changes, doesn't Facebook will think your account has been hacked ? One moment you're in the USA, the next in Germany. I've seen people complain about Facebook wanting to verify their account as they've detected what they call suspicions activities.

3: Is it better if you have a VPN with static IP ? Does it help with having less potential issues with your accounts ?

4: What about geolocation ? if you appear like you're in a foreign county in Facebook for example ?

5: Is there a way in some VPN providers to do an exclusion list of websites that will use real IP ?

I know it's a lot of questions, but i haven't found answers looking on the web. Also i took Facebook as an example. My question is for most popular accounts that you use everyday.

Thanks a lot ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thread author
So i was thinking about getting a subscription to a VPN service, and I've gathered most of the basic infos there is to know. Still, i have some questions for which i didn't find any clear answer.

1: What is the impact of using a VPN on your Google, Facebook, Twitter and such accounts ?

2: As the IP and location always changes, doesn't Facebook will think your account has been hacked ? One moment you're in the USA, the next in Germany. I've seen people complain about Facebook wanting to verify their account as they've detected what they call suspicions activities.

3: Is it better if you have a VPN with static IP ? Does it help with having less potential issues with your accounts ?

4: What about geolocation ? if you appear like you're in a foreign county in Facebook for example ?

5: Is there a way in some VPN providers to do an exclusion list of websites that will use real IP ?

I know it's a lot of questions, but i haven't found answers looking on the web. Also i took Facebook as an example. My question is for most popular accounts that you use everyday.

Thanks a lot ;)

You don't mention this type of website use, but I will point it out anyway...

You have to verify if VPN use is acceptable to your financial institutions when doing online transactions.

Many of them will not allow VPN use as they want to track your IP address as a basic security measure.

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
You don't mention this type of website use, but I will point it out anyway...

You have to verify if VPN use is acceptable to your financial institutions when doing online transactions.

Many of them will not allow VPN use as they want to track your IP address as a basic security measure.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I don't bother having to turn off the VPN once in a while when accessing baking websites or buying something. What i'm concerned about is the everyday use. When my Google, Facebook, Yahoo accounts and such will always see that i'm connecting from a different IP or country. Same goes for LastPass or even Windows update. Can't it cause some troubles ?

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Facebook, Gmail, Yahoo Mail all use geo-ip location to track users for security. So if you log into your account from a Russian vpn exit server but you normally log in from Canada you will blocked. Sometimes they will give you an option of verifying your account with a sms/email code to the mobile phone or the backup email address you registered when you were creating the account.

Last Pass does not care about your IP location. You can use it with any geo-located IP address.

Windows Update you can use any IP. Windows does not care about your geo-location and will download updates over your vpn connection.

Banks/PayPal you can use a vpn server in the same country or state and you should be able to log in to your account.

If you use a vpn server in the same country or better in the same state as your ISP IP address most services will let you log in as normal.

Some websites like Gmail and Facebook use browser fingerprinting to verify users. Even with a IP from the same country/state you might be denied access to the account if the browser fingerprint does not match.

I hope that clears up a few things for you!

Zar_

Level 1
Verified
Dec 13, 2016
Facebook, Gmail, Yahoo Mail all use geo-ip location to track users for security. So if you log into your account from a Russian vpn exit server but you normally log in from Canada you will blocked. Sometimes they will give you an option of verifying your account with a sms/email code to the mobile phone or the backup email address you registered when you were creating the account.

Last Pass does not care about your IP location. You can use it with any geo-located IP address.

Windows Update you can use any IP. Windows does not care about your geo-location and will download updates over your vpn connection.

Banks/PayPal you can use a vpn server in the same country or state and you should be able to log in to your account.

If you use a vpn server in the same country or better in the same state as your ISP IP address most services will let you log in as normal.

Some websites like Gmail and Facebook use browser fingerprinting to verify users. Even with a IP from the same country/state you might be denied access to the account if the browser fingerprint does not match.

Very good advice, I agree with you.
I use a vpn server from my country and thus avoid possible problems in the login of many web pages. At the moment I have had no problem doing so in this way

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I use WindscribeVPN Pro & ExpressVPN.

When I used Gmail & Outlook with VPN, I got "Unusual Log-In" & steps were provided to verify i.e sms, alternate email to get code, etc...

ExpressVPN has server in my country & city too so I use ExpressVPN with my country/city server & no probs yet.

WindscribeVPN Pro has server in my country but no server in my city i.e no city option to select for my country in the server/country list But no probs Gmail, Outlook, etc with WindscribePro VPN with my country/server.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
There is very big problem in using VPN, if you forget to disconnect it before entering a contest here at MT, you can get disqualified. :p
On a serious note, my friend was denied access to his FB account when he unknowingly tried to log in while using a VPN, and for his bad luck he also changed his ISP. The next time he tried to log in without using VPN he was again denied stating that he needed to log in from the original IP address, or he will have to provide all the details. He had just created the account and actually had put in some thing different as his DOB. So, he couldn't recover his account. Its still like that. :(

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author

Wow that is indeed a very complete answer ! Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain all this in detail.

It seems to me that VPNs can cause quite some troubles. I think i'll just use a VPN thru an extension, such as Hotspot Shield, in a separate browser. That way i'll be able to watch US content (that is the main reason i want a VPN) without messing with my accounts.

You sure know what you're talking about ;)

davhag49

Level 1
Verified
Dec 1, 2013
I only use my VPN for forums in other countries, contest, music or videos that will not play in my country. As for facebook etc. I would not use it for that. or make sure you get one like Cyberghost just to help with security and WIFI and stay in your own country.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Wow that is indeed a very complete answer ! Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain all this in detail.

It seems to me that VPNs can cause quite some troubles. I think i'll just use a VPN thru an extension, such as Hotspot Shield, in a separate browser. That way i'll be able to watch US content (that is the main reason i want a VPN) without messing with my accounts.

You sure know what you're talking about ;)

Honestly I would not use free vpn's and vpn browser extensions. They are inferior. They lack strong security. They leak dns. Are huge privacy risks. And sell your browsing data to 3rd party companies.

Find a well respected vpn company, buy a subscription (5 to 15 EURO per month depending on vpn company)) and use their native windows/macOS/Linux client. If you want you can use the native openvpn client and use the supplied .ovpn files. All good vpn companies supply .ovpn config files.

Anyone of these companies will be a good choice. These have been tried and tested. They do not leak dns or your real i.p. They have excellent privacy policies and a good record in protecting users and keeping them safe.

www.airvpn.org
www.ivpn.net
www.perfect-privacy.com
www.mullvad.net
www.openvpn.to
www.vpnarea.com
www.securevpn.to
www.frootvpn.com

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
Honestly I would not use free vpn's and vpn browser extensions. They are inferior. They lack strong security. They leak dns. Are huge privacy risks. And sell your browsing data to 3rd party companies.

Find a well respected vpn company, buy a subscription (5 to 15 EURO per month depending on vpn company)) and use their native windows/macOS/Linux client. If you want you can use the native openvpn client and use the supplied .ovpn files. All good vpn companies supply .ovpn config files.

Anyone of these companies will be a good choice. These have been tried and tested. They do not leak dns or your real i.p. They have excellent privacy policies and a good record in protecting users and keeping them safe.

www.airvpn.org
www.ivpn.net
www.perfect-privacy.com
www.mullvad.net
www.openvpn.to
www.vpnarea.com
www.securevpn.to
www.frootvpn.com

Thanks for the suggestions, seems to be some good choices there ;)

But changing the VPN for the whole computer is too much of a hassle for what i intend to do with it. If i forget to turn it off and then some website is gonna think my account has been hacked because the IP is from another country, don't want this kind of trouble.

Also, when using a VPN on my browser, i was planning on watching US content videos from websites that are otherwise blocked for other countries. I would not connect to any account and use it on a different browser than my actual one, therefore not having security issues as i would not access or enter any private informations.

I'll make sure the VPN i use is from a respectable company.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For Steam users, you can get your account terminated.

"You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, Valve may terminate your access to your Account."

By using Steam you agree to the Steam Subscriber Agreement.

It's one of the reasons I don't bother using a VPN on a home computer, there's simply no need. It's different if you're travelling or using public hotspots - on mobile devices.

Thread author
It's one of the reasons I don't bother using a VPN on a home computer, there's simply no need. It's different if you're travelling or using public hotspots - on mobile devices.

@Spawn makes an important point.

When using VPN, proxies, and SSH - you have to check the policies for every single website that you use. It's a real hassle, but you really should do it before you blindly decide to use one of them.

Even if you are on the road using public hotspots, it won't be of much benefit if the websites you need to access have policies against VPN, proxy or SSH use. Closed accounts, other denied access, and then the whole rigmarole of sorting all of that out with site administration. Many U.S. banks will promptly shut-down online banking if they detect any login IP address changes.

It's a messed-up situation.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Sure some websites may have strict policies against VPN, RDP, socks5 proxies & SSH. But they can't really stop you from using them.

Most sites including banks/financial institutions just use maxmind geo-ip databases to flag users using proxies. Easy to bypass.

Just make sure you use a exit server from the same country as where the service is located and it will work 95% of the time.

Steam can cry all it likes about people using proxies. Not going to change a thing. Steam has no moral high ground. Faceless corporation.

Thread author
Sure some websites may have strict policies against VPN, RDP, socks5 proxies & SSH. But they can't really stop you from using them.

Most sites including banks/financial institutions just use maxmind geo-ip databases to flag users using proxies. Easy to bypass.

Just make sure you use a exit server from the same country as where the service is located and it will work 95% of the time.

Steam can cry all it likes about people using proxies. Not going to change a thing. Steam has no moral high ground. Faceless corporation.

Sure they can. They can block IP addresses from readily available lists of known servers and other means. In fact, MT does it.

If you don't set up your online banking using the exit server the very first time, and then switch to VPN\proxy\SSH many U.S. banks will promptly shutdown your online banking. My bank, for example, will shutdown my online banking if they see any change in the account associated login IP address.

Thread author
From experience banks/finance do not block on changing IP. They only block only on geo-ip from maxmind or similar IP reputation services. As long as you have a IP address that is in the same state, or even same country and have a clean/low maxmind score you will be granted access to online services.

Not all banks do this. Some banks have highly restricted online banking requirements. The bank that I use will deny access unless customers login using the account associated IP address(es). Attempt to login using an IP address different than the one(s) associated with the account, and the bank shuts down online banking.

I use a bank that guarantees against all non-authorized electronic\digital losses. Therefore, the bank is really strict on security. ;)

When I tested something as simple as Adguard Stealth Mode using a U.S. (NV node), the bank immediately shut down online account access and called. In order to fix it I had asked avatar from Adguard\Performix to create a Stealth Mode disable exception for the bank website. Another time the same thing happened using a VPN with a U.S. exit node.

Last edited by a moderator:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Most services will notify you if you are from an unknown country and you will allow it once and be done with it. Banks will lock your account,at least my bank, but only the first time and then they will allow everything. So i suggest you do banking outside of the vpn to keep the geolocation security your bank may offer.

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
For Steam users, you can get your account terminated.

"You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, Valve may terminate your access to your Account."

By using Steam you agree to the Steam Subscriber Agreement.

One more reason to use a browser only VPN. There are even more disadvantages than i though using a VPN. Thanks for the heads up as i use Steam for some retro-gaming ;)

@Spawn makes an important point.

When using VPN, proxies, and SSH - you have to check the policies for every single website that you use. It's a real hassle, but you really should do it before you blindly decide to use one of them.

Even if you are on the road using public hotspots, it won't be of much benefit if the websites you need to access have policies against VPN, proxy or SSH use. Closed accounts, other denied access, and then the whole rigmarole of sorting all of that out with site administration. Many U.S. banks will promptly shut-down online banking if they detect any login IP address changes.

It's a messed-up situation.

Sure seems to make things kind of complicated, even beyond what i imagined. VPN extension on a separate browser is definitely the best solution for me, as i just want to access some videos in the US (on legal sites, but that can be viewed only in the USA). Thanks for your answer !

I'm don't want to go in a war against website policies and enduring extensive chats with customer supports just to use a VPN. Not worth losing your account or have trouble accessing it in my opinion.

Most services will notify you if you are from an unknown country and you will allow it once and be done with it. Banks will lock your account,at least my bank, but only the first time and then they will allow everything. So i suggest you do banking outside of the vpn to keep the geolocation security your bank may offer.

Thanks for the info. But as i said, i just wanted a VPN to access geo-restricted content. Thanks for the info though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.