What is a good light weight security config? (Win 10)

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
You want play games like a serious Hardcore Gamer (like Umbra was) ?

Dont use AV ! you will lose FPS !

Just use virtualization like Shadow Defender (turn it on when gaming) or Rollback RX (reload the baseline at every boot); then with time disable every services of Windows not related to gaming.

+1. As a hardcore GW2 player which FPS is life or death to me... lol

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
gaming with CCAV + WF seems very good to me. They are light as feathers
just whitelist your games or gaming folders to all comodo's modules so it won't monitor your gaming during playing
WF doesn't consume resource but add a rule to allow inbound/outbound connection so it won't disturb you

1 time I used WF, playing left4dead, my friends couldn't connect to my host game, I didn't know why. After a while, I figured out windows firewall was asking for allowing inbound connections to my game. In fullscreen mode, I didn't notice it

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Umbra I would like to see a YouTube channel of you where you do malware testing,
if you want or you will have time in future.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
bullguard is , runs very smooth and light here! you could compare it with eset smart security. and I am running this on a low end laptop! ;)

Reactions: LukeLovesSecurity
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

G-DATA with real time protection set to "Check on execution only" and "Startup scan disabled" then you get uber light experience and games run smooth.
Yup, I can confirm this. Although, now I just exclude game folder/s. Haven't seen performance impact, but not many would consider G Data as light weight security.

I look at G Data as very capricious security suite which needs taming, but for gaming I would better chose Emsisoft or Eset. It highly depends on what @LukeLovesSecurity prefers more. If he has good experience with Comodo Cloud AV, he should keep using it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

You want play games like a serious Hardcore Gamer (like Umbra was) ?

Dont use AV ! you will lose FPS !

Just use virtualization like Shadow Defender (turn it on when gaming) or Rollback RX (reload the baseline at every boot); then with time disable every services of Windows not related to gaming.

Finally, some common sense in this thread. Yes, Linux is hideous for gaming. Period.

This is how I use Windows now and I only use Windows for gaming these days. Fresh format, install Win10, make various privacy/security/lockdown/service changes to it. Install RollbackRX and simply reload the snapshot each day. Disable Windows Defender, it's a hog and privacy risk IMO.

What do I use for browsing and productivity? A tiny 1.21Watt Raspberry Pi running a secure debian distro with Fail2Ban, SSH Key Paring and other security lockdowns. I can browse and do productivity on the Pi with ease and knowledge knowing the chance of it being compromised is effectively nullified.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

L S

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Just for Gaming -
Avast Free with Comodo Firewall & Malwarebytes Free
Or -
Your Default Windows Defender With Windows Firewall & Plus Emsisoft Antimalware

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.