What is Difference b/w Anti-Malware & Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
I don't know the Difference b/w Anti-Malware & Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware.

Is ESET a Anti-Malware.

How the Users are able to Know that this antivirus can be used as Companion with any av (like CIS + EAM)

Reactions: Logethica
D

Deleted member 178

long time ago, in ancient ages, where computer were barely able to reach 333Mghz , they were a distinction between Virus, malwares and spywares.

Virus is a specific term that includes items that modify your files then replicate itself and jump to another computer.

Spywares were mostly items that silently collect datas and transmit them to someone; they include cookies, trojans, adwares, monitoring tools, etc...

Malwares is a most generalist term that includes all forms of malicious items such as viruses, worms , trojans horses, rootkits, spywares, etc...

at that time security softwares were design to protect only some of these categories, for example , i had to use Avast (very basic at that time , with an interface that looks like a music player ^^) alongside Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware (both specialized against spywares)

now these terms are obsoletes since any antiviruses/malwares are similar by detecting and cleaning all of them.

D

Deleted member 178

Antivirus becomes a general terms for security softs specialized on detecting & removing malwares in real-time where anti-malwares are mostly on-demand scanners but some AV like EAM kept their old names.

ESET is an antivirus even if it detects all malwares.

How the Users are able to Know that this antivirus can be used as Companion with any av (like CIS + EAM)

by visiting their websites and learn about the products on their forum

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Unknown said:

To avoid conflicts in your PC, using more than one real time AV/AM at the same time is not recommended. Also, the impact on your PC is greater when using more than one real time scanner at the same time and you gain nothing but headaches.

If you like CIS or EAM, either one on its own should be fine.

Bo

D

Deleted member 178

bo.elam said:
To avoid conflicts in your PC, using more than one real time AV/AM at the same time is not recommended.

True but not in the case of EAM or others companion AV

Also, the impact on your PC is greater when using more than one real time scanner at the same time and you gain nothing but headaches.

this one i admit but in his case by adding EAM he will get a better detection rate.

If you like CIS or EAM, either one on its own should be fine.

I think he want both.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The name "Anti-Virus" today really means "Anti-Malware".
All Anti-Virus software are now complete Anti-Malware products.
The name is quite confusing.

In the past the meaning was much different, Anti-Virus software only detect viruses, worms and some Trojans.

Anti-Spyware detected spyware, adware, some Trojans, PUP's, etc.

Anti-Malware detected basically Trojans, rogueware and bits and pieces of all the rest.

Some products like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not a complete solution but a companion which detects what the others miss.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware for example used to be like Malwarebytes in the past, now it is a complete Anti-Malware solution since they added another engine.

Some products have even added network filtering much like a personal firewall has. Anti-Virus products are starting to move towards security suites and so has most of the personal firewall vendors.

The future will be complete security suites even though I don't like them and a lot of members here don't either. Some of the security vendors now offer free security suites, like Comodo, ZoneAlarm, Outpost, FortiClient Standard, Roboscan and Rising.

Personal firewalls are dying just like the Anti-Spyware and Anti-Trojan software did in the past.

Enjoy!!:D

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Littlebits said:
The future will be complete security suites even though I don't like them and a lot of members here don't either. Some of the security vendors now offer free security suites, like Comodo, ZoneAlarm, Outpost, FortiClient Standard, Roboscan and Rising.
Really i think that Aast Free is too good but after joining this forum only i get to know that Comodo is very good as compared many piad also.
I Like Comodo because it gives a layered protection it can be tweaked very.

But Not using CIS because there is a bug left in it some time when try to disable it it does not disable then i restart the pc then try to disable it then its again Ok.so i am waiting for the next version 6.1 or more

Reactions: Logethica

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
CIS without FW lol. The best component of CIS is its FW and Defense+.
Why cant two AVS be on the same pc.
Consider this,
AV1 continously keeps scanning your files in background or as and when they are created.
AV2 also does the same thing.
So if AV1 scans a file it acesses it, av2 now tries to scan the accessed file, Now AV1 sees AV2 do so and this goes on an endless loop eating cpu time and disk acess time.
Also it may throw up IO errors.
Thats a very simple way to put it why Two AVS in realtime conflict.
Some AVs are companions ie instead of being the first wall of defense they become the second one.
They are designed keeping in mind the working and coding of other AVS.
Thanks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.