Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
maxresdefault.jpg

What is what we call reality? How can we define it?

Is reality what's supossed to be? What it is? Or do we construct reality? Maybe is reality a social construction?

Can we define our and others reality?

I can stand up right now and say @BoraMurdar has seven fingers on his right hand, and none of you will be able to verify it, so if the correct circumstances are given, you will just believe my statement, and I would have constructed a reality for all of you. You will live by my fake reality.

We assume reality is just there, and whatever we do we cannot change it, we can just participate. But how true is this? Isn't our reality what society imposed upon us? What others forged for us to live?

Is reality even real, or is it just a made up version of what's suppossed to be?

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
That is faith, it is not reality it can be true but it has to be proven :giggle:
I used the word believe in a similar context as the word ascertain. I think that faith is far away from this context, as a soul is far away from mind.
You also cannot say that is not true, without presenting proof.(y):giggle:

Reality is everything you can verify by yourself. Everything else can be either real or fake
So, a color is part of reality?

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
People who suffer daltonism or color blind, can then have their own reality, despite it's not my reality. So can there be many realities for a single fact?
This will depend on the definition of reality. The color is probably not a real attribute of an apple, because it can change when using another lighting.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Any example?:unsure:
exists @Andy Ful yes, that is a reality.
exists is Poland yes, that is a reality.
exists is Warsaw. That is a reality

as a soul is far away from mind.

The soul is not far from the mind to refer to it
In Hebrew, serious soul.
nephesh, that word translated into Greek would be psyche. And hence the word psychology that would be the study of the mind.:LOL:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
exists @Andy Ful yes, that is a reality.
exists is Poland yes, that is a reality.
exists is Warsaw. That is a reality
There are examples for the definition:
Reality is all that can be ascertained.
Could you give some examples for your full definition:
Reality is all that can be ascertained, if it is not real.
The soul is not far from the mind to refer to it
In Hebrew, serious soul.
nephesh, that word translated into Greek would be psyche. And hence the word psychology that would be the study of the mind.:LOL:
Many scientists think that chimpanzees an dolphins have got some kinds of mind, but there could be a problem to say that they have got souls, too.:unsure:

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Everything is a creation of mind. The gross mind perceives things like tables, sunsets, rainbows, etc. But these things do not exist in the way that they appear. My "table" is not the same as your "table". There is no such "thing" as color. Color does not exist anywhere, it is merely light waves which are perceived by the eye via the eye sense power > and then my gross mind perceives a color, such as blue.

Everything we experience can only be experienced by mind. But, the "things" we experience are only "real" in the sense that we agree about the name for something. Thus, we call a table by that name - even though my experience of "table" is different than yours. All things "exist" in this way. We can even say the things we normally perceive do not exist at all, because if we search for them they can not be found, e.g. the "real" color. If we look for a rainbow, go searching for it, it disappears. All things "exist" in this way.

Even mind exists in this way. When we sleep, our subtle mind may dream a beautiful dream, but when we wake it is gone and we again perceive things with our gross mind. We also have a very subtle mind, which we can call our heart (and which we could also call our "soul"). We may access our very subtle mind through prayer or contemplation, but we definitely can realize it through meditation. The very subtle mind also manifests at the time of death. Understanding the nature of mind, its functions, etc. is the supreme method for knowing "reality". :emoji_pray::notworthy:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Many scientists think that chimpanzees an dolphins have got some kind of minds, but there could be a problem to say that they have got souls, too.:unsure:

All animals have minds, but not human minds. Chimps, dolphins and elephants have more "developed" minds than ants, roaches, etc.. All living beings experience things, especially suffering. This commonality of suffering is what connects humans to all other living beings. It is also why we humans should take heed of the consequences of our actions.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Then we can agree, reality as one doesn't exist. To define reality we must then understand everybody has its own reality, therefore there may exist different realities to a single fact/thing.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
It is that which is encompassed by the five senses. A dog's reality shrinks to its owner and the region surrounding the food dish. There is a hallway outside my door but I cannot see it. There could be a monster lurking there but unless it's perceived by me, it's not reality.

I could also be nuts--that's a possibility, but not (yet) a reality. If I see a kaleidoscope constantly but you don't, that is my reality but not the universal one. So that's the crux--what is the ultimate reality, a universal human consensus? Paradox: reality is subjectively objective. There.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.