What is the best anti virus software?

idunno

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 24, 2017
I havent got updated in this community in a while so I thought it would be a good idea to know what is the best anti virus.
I tried to install BitDefender but for some reason after I registered it is not launching and I have no way to acces it after I Installed it.
Im not getting BitDefender of the table, but if anyone has a seloution let me know.

-Thanks to all!

T

The paranoid one

There´s not best AV.
There are a lot of them and the best antivirus for you depends solely on your habits and skills.
Antivirus for beginners: Bitdefender free, Avast, Eset
For average users: almost all
For experienced users: Comodo Internet Security, Qihoo 360

Anker_by

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2015
In my opinion the best anti virus is you but more extra security tools you got more safety you are on internet, but the best is you.

Reactions: frogboy and AtlBo

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I havent got updated in this community in a while so I thought it would be a good idea to know what is the best anti virus.
I tried to install BitDefender but for some reason after I registered it is not launching and I have no way to acces it after I Installed it.
Im not getting BitDefender of the table, but if anyone has a seloution let me know.
-Thanks to all!
A lot has been already said above. After joining MT, I realized how much the effectiveness of AVs vary by the needs & the skills of the user. Also, not all of the best AVs suit every curious user.
eg. Kaspersky has features that beginners may not even know are present, or how to use them effectively. They might go on finding more stuffs to add to their setup.
As @mekelek said, these 3 are among the top performers at places. I disagree with the point that any AV is good with safe practices, however. A lot of your work, identification and following decisions on files and connections etc, known and unknown, are being taken by the AV/IS you've installed. Hence, the product matters a lot (except for the experienced users who entirely rely on SRPs and whitelisting mechanisms..). But again, no AV is foolproof or complete.

If you're on hunt, you can either go on trying the famous ones to find out what suits you OR try Comodo FW at CS' settings OR choose one of the 3 (KIS/Emsi/BD) that you find interesting & convenient and probably accompany it with a fortification like VoodooShield (multi-engine scan of executed files, default blocking of files & command lines, VoodooAI Threat score, sandbox) or HitmanProAlert (strong exploit protection, keystroke encryption, Zeroday protection, safe browsing...) etc. as needed.

Regarding your Bitdefender problem, the most common reason of BD interface not opening is when BD profile is set to "Battery Mode". Since you're unable to access it, it will still be a problem! If you get the screen, go to Settings >> Profiles and disable battery mode first :)

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014

Using custom installation Avast gives you the ability to choose which components you want to install. Maybe that could be a consideration if you don't care for cleaners and the other gadgets in avast in a stock installation. Avast with straight cloud/a-v recognition should be good to pair with anything.

kaleci07

Level 2
Verified
Jul 6, 2015
for 2016 eset
for 2017 kaspersky
for 2018 seems like kaspersky we will see

any toptier antivirus with knowing what u r doing and updated windows will do fine .

by my experience;
Dont dig it too much ...

Reactions: ZeroDay

idunno

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 24, 2017
Using custom installation Avast gives you the ability to choose which components you want to install. Maybe that could be a consideration if you don't care for cleaners and the other gadgets in avast in a stock installation. Avast with straight cloud/a-v recognition should be good to pair with anything.
What does that have to do with BD?

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
What does that have to do with BD?

Maybe I misread your initial post. Thought you were looking for best a-v. Avast scored 100% on the latest A-V Comparables and compares very well detection-wise with Bitdefender, which you apparently cannot get to install. You don't mention what other security soft you are running, so I threw out avast thinking the custom install might work well for you. :)

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I have been a fan of Avast for many years. Light and offers great protection! Follow Jack's Avast guide for extra protection and you will be set. There is no best AV. Layered security is a good idea. Maybe add Zemana for scanning the computer? :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.