snopdog666 Security Config

snopdog666

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 5, 2015
I have always had a problem with malware, as I am always on the Internet. I am wondering, what antivirus software should I use and how many? The one thing I know nothing about in computers is malware, so my defense is probably lacking.

Reactions: pneuma1985

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Not best, but better is AVG or Avast.
Add more scanner for on-demand scanner. Zemana AntiMalware, Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes antimalware.

Hitman pro is free for scan system but you need to buy the product if you try to remove viruses too.
Zemana AntiMalware and Malwarebytes antimalware is free for scanning system and remove malwares.

Try CCleaner for Privacy and Optimisation.

thats it from me.. and welcome to MalwareTips :)
Enjoy

snopdog666

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 5, 2015
Not best, but better is AVG or Avast.
Add more scanner for on-demand scanner. Zemana AntiMalware, Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes antimalware.

Hitman pro is free for scan system but you need to buy the product if you try to remove viruses too.
Zemana AntiMalware and Malwarebytes antimalware is free for scanning system and remove malwares.

Try CCleaner for Privacy and Optimisation.

thats it from me.. and welcome to MalwareTips :)
Enjoy
Thanks! I'll try some of these programs and see if they suit my PC right!

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Well, first of all, I suggest to enable UAC(default setting)

Change: adblock plus to either Ublock Origin or Adguard, which have malware domains filters which can compliment Avira antivirus

I have not used Avira myself, but I have seen a lot of people liking it, so I think it's fine to keep it

Add some on-demand scanners, I would highly recommend Zemana Antimalware free and Emsisoft Emergency Kit, you can also try Malwarebytes AntiMalware free

Last edited:

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
There is no best anti virus (es)....in fact prevention is better than cure....so IMHO you can use
1. NVT exe radar pro/voodo schield as an extra UAC component
2. Add a sandbox+ hips combo like Comodo firewall
3.keep ur existing av intact
3.use an add blocker like ublock origin/ ad muncher
4. use EMET as an exploit mitigation tool
5. change your DNS to norton/public dns

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
I have always had a problem with malware, as I am always on the Internet. I am wondering, what antivirus software should I use and how many? The one thing I know nothing about in computers is malware, so my defense is probably lacking.
Well as many of the more advanced users have pointed out it basically depends on how hands on you are with your security config... There is no best AV software some have better detection and or removal rates than others. Some have better heuristics some have a ton of cloud scanners so there is no "Best AV software." The more hands on you get with your security config and layering different software the more hardened your windows machine will be. How are you getting infected exactly? If it's just from surfing the web: I'd suggest HitmanProAlert3 or Sandboxie or both as some of us run. Possibly Malwarebytes antiexploit and there is the norton anti-exploit now as well. Oh and I'd suggest turning off java as well. If it's from downloading risky .exe's, then I'd advise against that!
As @josinpaul pointed out hips+sandbox is a must. Follow the thread on comodo config b/c its got a lot of technical settings involved with it.
For adblockers on chrome and or firefox I Suggest adguard/ublock origin..

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Avira Free & Windows Firewall is a pretty good combo
Adding some other programs already suggested is not a bad idea but it is good to try different combos to find what works best for you

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Honestly Avast Free contains Hardened Mode capable to block any programs base on the premature of a file which designed where protection of traditional approach bypassed.

But Avira Free is indeed good so still tis up to your decision.

Other than that its already good configuration.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Fairly good config you should add Malwarebytes Anti malware and exploit fir added protection.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Avira is a really Good antivirus, don't know the reason to prefer avg or avast instead of Avira. Avira does have a really functional cloud with some heuristics and automatically uploads unknown samples

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Avira is a really Good antivirus, don't know the reason to prefer avg or avast instead of Avira. Avira does have a really functional cloud with some heuristics and automatically uploads unknown samples
I would assume, based on what I have read from people, is because Avira is mostly a signature-based product with no web protection, hips or behavior blocker to complement it.(Which is the reason why I thought Ublock origin or Adguard would complement it)

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Reactions: DJ Panda

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.